‹ Prequel: Hollow Crown.

Save Me.

Loose lip's sink ship's, so I'll stay silent

Tom Searle's flat had turned into a makeshift museum over the past six months. Canvas of all size's had been stacked up in any available space, yet not a single one hung up on the wall to be displayed proudly. Each was under a selection of different coloured sheet, hidden from the world. Making his way carefully from the front door down the hall, all his concentration was focused on not bumping into anything.

"I promise," Tom jumped slightly, his eyes darting from the floor to the kitchen where the angelic voice came from. "Everything's getting moved tomorrow so the place will go back to normal".

"Do you know you've got paint on your face?" Tom smiled softly as he made his way further into the room, removing his bag from his shoulders, dropping it carelessly to the floor. Stopping at the marble island in the middle of the kitchen he took a seat on one of the high bar stools, resting his elbows on the counter and head in his hands, he watched the blonde bombshell as she put her cereal bowl into the sink.

Georgia smiled shyly as she turned to face him again, embarrassed to be seen anything less than perfect by Tom. Her breath hitched slightly when he reached across the counter and ran the sleeve of his jumper across her cheek removing the yellow mark.

"Sorry for turning your flat into a mess" Georgia spoke quietly, her gaze lowering to the floor, Toms gaze making her anxious.

Since she had returned home from the hospital she knew she was a burden in Tom's life. Taking up all his free space and time, she knew she had to get back on her own feet. And soon before he grew to resent her.

"As long as your okay, you can make as much mess as you want"

Tom watched carefully as she pottered around the room, picking up sketch books and pens that where scattered around, trying to tidy up. The mess certainly didn't bother him, he was just happy she was home and back to doing the things she loved. Before she left the hospital, trying to get her to do anything was near to impossible.

Sometimes she wasn't his Georgia any more. She was awkward and quiet, second guessing herself most of the time. Everything Tom was terrified of happening. He still found her uncomfortable to watch.

"You want to go out to dinner tonight?" Georgia stopped what she was doing to look at Tom, his face soft and questioning. Her heartbeat speed up slightly looking at him doubtfully. "I mean, em, Thomas wants to see you again"

Tom noticed the soft frown that covered her face for a quick second before she regained her composer. She nodded before going back to tidying up, scorning herself inwardly for getting her hopes up.

"Thomas from Sam's house?" Tom nodded his head when she looked towards him, his brow furrowing. "I liked him, he's quieter than all of you"

The pair shared a small smile. One Tom had always loved on her face. A little secret they shared between them. Something no one else could muscle in on and claim for their own.

"Doesn't he have a brother?" Tom jumped slightly realising how close she had become since he had zoned out. He pulled her small body into his, her arms snaking round his hips as she settled standing in-between his legs. He leant his chin softly atop her head. His head starting to hurt again. Migraines had become second nature to him recently.

"Yeah, but he stayed in Sheffield, it was just Tommy that came down to Brighton"

"Good," Georgia cosyed into Tom's body, relaxing against him. "I don't think i can handle meeting any more of your friends"

*****

"Dan wait!"

Dan's heart was thumping loudly in his cheast, his breathing hollow and erratic, his hands were trembling with pent up rage.

"Please Dan,"

He was aware of people watching him as he made his way down the seemingly endless corridors of the multi story building in the middle of Brighton's city centre where he had rented out office space for his new clothing company. His brother had been with him all morning setting up the rooms with computers and storage boxes. Georgia and his mother had been helping him out with everything from the Searle's family home and he could no longer take the constant hassle from the two women to get his thing s organised.

Blinding sunlight, a harsh contrast to the hardly lit up building interior, momentarily stunned him making the trailing voice catch up to him slightly. He wasn't ready for this today. He honestly didn't think he'd be ready for it any day, but it wasn't fair when everything was going so right.

"Fuck sake Dan!"

Oliver's sudden grasp on his arm made his body rigid. Turning to look at Oliver, Dan felt something he never thought he would, pity. It was strange to see one of your friends withered down to nothing.

"I'm busy"

Dan turned and headed towards his car, silently thanking God that Tom's car was already gone. A
slight relief that the situation wasn't going to go as bad as it could.

"Tommy told meh Georgia's home"

Dan turned back to face Oliver. He had to admit Oliver seemed to be pulling himself back together. He had seen Bring Me in a few interviews over the recent weeks, Oliver being not only present but putting actual input into things. He looked as though he was taking care of himself more, gaining a little weight back in his face, look less like a walking skelington,

"Do you even care?"

"Of course I do" Dan scoffed as he rolled his eyes. "I know I've not exactly handled everythin' perfect..."

"Perfectly?" Dan cut off Oliver, in his sharp tone that he usual held back for Tom. "You haven't handled this at all"

The two men stood facing each other mere feet apart. People watched them curiously as they passed. Neither of the two were ever the cause of confrontation. Oliver had gotten more used to it. A normal conversation for him now held so much hostility he wasn't even aware of it any more.

"What was I supposed to do?"

"Anything!" Dan threw his hands up in the air exasperated. He wasn't used to dealing with these situations when it wasn't Tom he was shouting at. "You knew here she was and you didn't even try to make up for everything. You were supposed to marry her Oliver. How would that work when you bail as soon as things get a bit difficult!"

"Sam wouldn't let me see her" Oliver shouted back. His hands grasped at his hair. He was sick of everyone blaming everything on him. One mistake and he was never going to be able to recover from it.

"Do you even know the reason why?" Dan asked watching every movement his former friend made. When Oliver's stubborn eyes finally met his own, he saw what Thomas had been harping on about over the last couple of weeks. Emptiness.

"You never even tried. You knew none of us would stop you from seeing her, not even after everything that happened. No one thought she was gonna wake up. Not even Sam would have keep that from you."

Silence grew think and heavy, an uncomfortable feeling Dan had grown to hate. Oliver stood still staring at Dan searching for any kind of clue to wither he was being truthful or not.

"I couldn't see her like that, not when it was my fault"

"Save all the self pity bullshit. Do you think it was all fun and games for any of us?"

"Just let me see her" Oliver pleaded, his voice hoarse and breaking.

"She doesn't know you any more," Dan sighed. He wanted to be home and in his bed, as far away from confrontation and other peoples emotions as possible. "And maybe that's for the best."

*****

"What do you think?"

Lydia Carter looked up from the glossy pages of her magazine to the bathroom door where her daughter had just emerged. A gasp caught in her throat as she watched Georgia walk slowly towards her, fiddling with the hem of her deep blue dress. She always thought Georgia was the most beautiful girl in the world. Biased as most mothers would be. But ever since the accident there was a little more sparkle to her youngest child.

"It's too much isn't it?" A from of doubt covered Georgia's flawless face as she began to rearrange her pinned back hair heading straight back into the bathroom desperate for a mirror. "You can see my scar can't you?"

"Don't be silly!" Lydia rushed to her daughters side pulling her hands from her hair before she could manuver anything out of place. "It's just been so long since I've seen you so dressed up. I forget you're not my little girl any more"

Georgia smiled softly at her mother's pride filled face before taking her hand and going back into the bedroom.

"You think Sam will let me stay in if I say I've got a headache?"

"You do know he's not your father don't you?" Lydia laughed softly as they sat down on the bed together. "He worries about you more than you'll ever know"

Lydia watched Georgia's pensive face looking for any subtle hint at what she was feeling. Georgia's emotions had always been easy to see, she wore them as part of her outfit stencilled into her eyes. After the accident her eyes had closed the curtain on her emotional display and Lydia was finding that the hardest thing to come to terms with. She could deal with the memory loss and change in personality, but she could feel the distance between the two growing. Something no one could do anything about.

Georgia smiled sadly. She felt terrible over how much Sam fussed over her. He was missing out on his own life because he was too busy trying to fix hers.

"I'm not sure I can do this"

"It's just dinner sweetie, it'll only take a few hours and if Sam starts nagging just saying your medications making you tired"

"No mum, I mean this whole bit," Georgia looked around her parents bedroom. Sam and she would always sneak in uninvited when they were little, brining with them tales of boogeyman and closet monsters. It had always been their safe place. The elder Carters had never redecorated so Georgia still felt herself five years old clutching her teddy searching desperately for a cuddle.

"These things I can't remember. All these face's. I keep hearing people telling stories about me doing things I've never done. Sam's keeping things from me"

"He think's he's doing the right thing" Both women jumped slightly at Sam's voice.He stood leaning on the door frame with tow bunches of brightly coloured flowers in his hands. "You ready?"

He watched the tow most important women in his life stand and embrace each other, the same sad look glistening in their matching eyes. Keeping things from Georgia and lying to answer her questions was breaking his heart but he couldn't take the agonising look on her face when she so desperately tried to remember aspects form her past. All it did was remind him of when the were young and he tried to teach her how to play games she never understood. She still got the same expression on her scrunched up face.

"These are from Tom. An apology for not keeping his promise to pick you up and one for mum cause he's a suck up" Sam shared and knowing look with his Mother when Georgia's eyes sparkled at the mention on Tom. "Dinner will be fun. And I promise, no strange faces"
♠ ♠ ♠
So this has taken ages and I'm sorry about that but I really struggled to get this chapter as perfect as I wanted it. Hopefully the extra time put into it made it worth while.
Anyway hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year.
Thank you so much for the recommendations and comment means a lot that people are enjoying it.