Saint in the City

Sophomore Slump

Are we growing up or just going down? It's just a matter of time until we're all found out. Take our tears, put them on ice, 'cause I swear I'd burn this city down to show you the light
-Fall Out Boy

----------

The last month had been awful for Nightmare. Jimmy had decided that it was his personal goal to make her life a living hell. He'd spent every night setting things on fire, blowing things up, and destroying everything he could get his hands on.

And thanks to Jimmy's announcement to the world, the cops were now all over Nightmare's case. She could hardly walk down the street before a cop jumped out and told her to freeze.

On top of all that, the crimes in the city were getting worse. With Jimmy running wild and the police constantly after her, Nightmare barely had time to hunt down any criminals anymore. And, naturally, reporters blamed Nightmare for the increase in crime.

Nightmare thinking more and more of just giving up. Who wants to save a city that doesn't even want you?

But every time she thought of throwing in the towel, she would hear of a drive by shooting, or a homicide, or a robbery, and she knew that she couldn't stop. She couldn't give up humanity, even when they wanted nothing to do with her.

There was an overpowering need for Nightmare to help these people. No matter what they did, Nightmare felt compelled to protect them. This wasn't about her or even just them, it was about something so much bigger and more important than just one city.

Nightmare wasn't just a hero for New York City, this was something bigger. Her purpose on this earth wasn't just to save a few people and make the city a little bit better and safer to live in. She was here for something so much more important.

Such an abnormally gifted person couldn't be there by chance. Some stronger force must be at work in the city. Someone, something, must know that this city hasn't seen anything yet. That the crimes and violence that had happened in the past will be nothing compared to what's going to happen. That the worst was yet to come.