Little Did They Know

Whoever Said Slytherins Could be Nice

"Thank Merlin, Pax! Where the hell have you been? We were worried sick about you!" Roger shouted as soon as he saw Pax entering the Common room. "You know you just can’t leave a party without a word, right?! Especially if the party has been dedicated to you!" He kept on shouting angrily, yet looking relieved.

Of course that when he said ‘everybody was worried sick about Pax’, he meant himself. The others just supposed she was off to clear her mind, or get away from the music blasting in the commom room.
And it’s obvious, too, that the House nodded their heads while Roger shouted, for they wouldn’t disagree with a word that’d leave his mouth, after all, everyone there looked up to him; the boys for they wanted to play Quidditch as well as Davies does, and also for the fact that all the girls were drooling for him all the time. The girls for they thought he was such a hot Quidditch player plus a sweet guy.

All the while Roger’s been shouting, Pax kept smiling her best smile at him. She didn’t mind him yelling at her, for she knew he was only doing this because he cared a great deal about her.
It was only when he was finished speaking that did Pax spoke, softly.

"Thanks for caring about me, Davies." She usually uses his last name, thinking it fits him better. "But you needn’t to worry about me; you know I can take care of myself. Besides, I had just gone to the Hufflepuff’s Common room to check on Cedric, and-"
"Cedric, again!" He sort of shouted, frustrated.

It certainly took Pax by surprise, so she jumped slightly backwards, looking at Roger a little bit alarmed and confused at the same time. "Well, yes. Since Brad told me he saw Cedric with a sad face, I just had to check on him. I mean, he’s my friend, and that’s what friends do, right?" After a moment or so, Roger replied, calmer.
"Yea, you are right. Sorry, I think I just got a little-" She gave him a playfully look. "Right, a lot worked up about your whereabouts, that I lost control of myself, I didn’t mean to yell at you."
Pax smiled.
"Don’t worry, Davies. I’d gone nuts if it were you, too." She hugged him firmly, assuring him that she was fine and safe.
Roger couldn’t help but feel extremely content at Pax’s touch. He loved the way she could always embrace him and make him feel better at once; the way her hair smelled this same vanilla scent or the way her fragile frame could tell so much. He never wanted to let go of her, but she did, eventually.

"Thanks, guys. Sorry about that." She apologized to her fellows, but they were no longer looking at both friends, but were entertained with themselves. She chuckled inwardly.

Davies...

"Well, I’m off to get some rest. Bye, Roger." She was about to peck him on the cheek, when he stopped her.
"Was he alright?" He did his best to sound interested in what she would respond, but thought he failed miserably; all he wanted was to spend some more time with Pax.

She nodded, thoughtfully. "Hmm... Sort of... But it wasn’t about the game." She explained brightly.
"Really? That’s great." He smiled, happy to see her smiling. "But what was the problem, then?"

She pondered for some minutes. She sure trusted Davies with all her heart, but she wasn’t certain whether Cedric did, and would mind if she told Roger about their conversation.
Well, she thought he didn’t tell me not to tell anybody about it. And it isn’t like I’d tell someone like Padma, anyways.

"It’s about someone he likes," She replied, not really lying to Roger, only omitting some facts. And if he asked her who it was, she could say she didn’t know; she decided it was better if Cedric agreed with it before telling Roger. She wasn’t about to break the secret code now, was she? After all, she would never tell Cedric something about Roger before consulting him first. It was only fair, and right. "And he wanted, hmm, advice from a girl friend."
"You know who the girl he is interested in is?" Roger asked curiously, and sounding eager. She frowned.
"No, he didn’t tell me…"
She heard her best friend mutter something, but didn’t give it much attention; she was too tired for that.
"Anyway," She broke the silence that had formed upon them. "I’m off to bed. I’m seriously wasted." She made her way to the girl’s staircase, but stopped abruptly. Then she took some steps back and pecked Roger on the cheek again, smiling.
"‘Night, big boy."
"‘Night, smarty pants."

Then she climbed up the steps to her dorm.

*

"‘Morning." Roger Davies greeted Pax grumpily; he was never a morning person.

"Goood moorning, Davies!" She chorused, smiling pleasantly at him.

He hated the way she was always so hyper. Has she ever had a bad day, anyways? He couldn’t tell, and he has known her since first year.

"Hi, Luna!" She then greeted her best girl friend, who had just approached the table and sat down.
"‘Morning, Pax." Luna Lovegood’s voice replied, not as cheerful as Paxs, but pleasant nonetheless.
"How’d ya sleep?" Pax asked, probably making the first morning conversation. She knew Roger wasn’t going to converse anytime soon.

"Fine, you?"
"Same, hope I didn’t bother you too much, I didn’t mean to go to sleep so late." She apologized.

"Nah. That was really nothing, don’t worry. I’m a heavy sleeper." Luna smiled back to Pax, who was currently eating a piece of toast with chocolate syrup, or should I say, syrup with a tiny piece of toast?

"Would you like more syrup, Paxes? I still can see a corner of your toast." The Quidditch’s Ravenclaw’s Captain joked. Today he was feeling like talking.

"Ha.Ha." Pax responded sarcastically as she swallowed down her ‘toast’. "Funny today, are we?" Roger only grinned at her.

The Great Hall was now full. Students had gathered together properly and were talking, making a buzz sound echo through the hall. As Pax was about to make a random comment about how chocolate could be very useful to soften the skin, Dumbledore stood up and started an unexpected speech.

"Good morning, students." He greeted them all politely, and waited for the all-so-rehearsed answer. "I know it might be rather odd for you to have another announcement, but I wanted to make sure all of you were present to hear it, since this matter is of great importance, especially for you."

Everyone had their ears up in order to achieve all of their headmaster’s words. Pax would never miss a word that left his mouth, since she was so interested in everything this old wizard would say, not to mention she was a goody two-shoes girl. But then again, weren’t all Ravenclaws?

"This year, we professors of Hogwarts School of Witch Craft And Wizardry, differently from the previous years, have come to an agreement that our four Houses should share classes together, which means that, for instance, Slytherins will no more share classes only with Gryffindors, but with Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs as well, so on, and so forth." He stopped to let the students express their opinions, even if to their friends, aloud. Most of them groaned, for they didn’t want to share classes with the other two different Houses.

"Man, that sucks!" Roger exclaimed loud enough for everyone that was near him to hear, and shake their heads as a sign of agreement.

"I don’t think it will be all that bad," Pax retorted, looking thoughtful. "I mean, it will be nice having classes with Gryffindors as well. And the Slytherins might be alright, too. Perhaps they will even end up being nice." She shrugged.
"Are you out of your rocks, Pax?" Davies sort of shouted. "End up being nice, the Slytherins? What world do you live in, anyway?" She just shrugged her shoulders once more, as a sign that she didn’t really care that much about the subject.

Another thing about Pax, she doesn’t mind changing her way of life. Everything seems to be fine with her. Never complain much about anything, just make her opinion known, not that it goes against any decision her friends or school teachers make, of course.

Truth be told though, Pax is too much reserved to everyone’s liking, but that’s just how she is.

"My dad says we should never talk bad stuff about people before you get to know them first." Luna agreed with Pax, who smiled to her in return.
"Your father is a wise man, Lunes." Pax stated.

"Now, now," Dumbledore re-started, "The purpose of this is nothing else but to all of you became more close to each other, especially those Houses which seem to have a quarrel with one another. The announcement ends here. Now, enjoy the rest of the breakfast; heard the elves have gotten new recipes this year." He finished smiling pleasantly to everyone, making some of them laugh, including Pax.

"Shit," Roger complained yet again at the end of the speech. "Not sure if I can cope with it." Pax remained silent, for she knew that saying anything but ‘you’re right’ would turn up into a row, and she didn’t like fighting at all. Josh Phillius didn’t mind, though.

"C’mon Roger, there are plenty of hot girls in Gryffindor." He commented eyeing that table in particular. Pax chuckled loudly.
"Yea, Roger. Go get yourself a girlfriend." She grinned at him and stood up, looking at her watch. "Oh, bugger. Forgot my books in the Common room," she whined. "See you guys in a bit." She bid them goodbye, and made her way to Great Hall’s exit, fearing she wouldn’t get to classes on time.

Thank Merlin I’m in the Quidditch team! She confided to herself in thought, running the faster she could.

As she left the place, she could have sworn someone had been watching her the whole time.

*

She made it just in time. McGonagall was about to start her lesson, telling the students to sit down and stop talking.
As always, Pax went to sit with Roger, who had been saving her the seat next to him the entire time, worried she wouldn’t make it. He wore a dissatisfied expression, too.

"Thanks..." She thanked Roger, breathlessly.
"Whoa. And to think I didn’t believe you would make it." He grinned, and she glared playfully at him.
"Should have... Made the maths, Davies. It’s... Simple like that." She smirked back to him, showing off why she had been sorted into Ravenclaw.

She was so worked up about getting to the classroom before the door was closed, that she didn’t notice who she was sharing the class with, not even Davies discontented face gave it away. She had always been clueless anyhow.

"So students, I see those changes Professor Dumbledore told you about this morning have been already put into usage."

It was just then that did Pax look around. There were no Hufflepuffs chatting lowly amongst themselves, but a bunch of teenagers dressed in silver and green robes, looking discontented themselves. As she studied them, her eyes landed upon none other than Draco Malfoys. He was possibly doing the same, since their eyes locked. She nodded smiling, acknowledging him, only to receive a sneer in return. Her smile faded a little after that, but she didn’t let it get to her, she was too happy grabbing her brand-new quill she had bought over the summer to care.

"Very well then," She said to no-one in special, probably to herself as she counted the students with her wand. "To re-enforce what the purpose of these changes is, we shall divide you into pairs, a Ravenclaw with a Slytherin."
A groan came from the students of both Houses, minus from Luna, Pax, and one Slytherin in particular.

"Let’s see…" The transfiguration teacher muttered to herself. "Ms. Lovegood, you will be working with Mr. Crabbe; Mr. Davies, please sit with Ms. Parkinson;" She started pairing up the students. Roger, upon hearing his name, and whom he was going to share a table with, looked at Pax rather unhappy. She gave him an apologetically half-smile, and waited for her name to be called. "Oh yes, and Ms. Sempiterna, you will be working with Mr. Malfoy…" She kept calling names.

Pax looked at the back of the classroom, where the Slytherin boy sat, this time hesitantly. She wasn’t sure how he had reacted. As she did so, she noticed he wasn’t even looking at their professor, but at some point in the classroom, oblivious to whom he was working with from now on, tuned out. Or so he gave the impression he didn’t listen, nor care.

The dark-haired girl sighed, stood up after grabbing her books and bag, and made her way to the back of the classroom.

"Hi, Draco." She greeted him uneasily.
"Sempiterna." She didn’t like the way her surname sounded so cold after leaving Draco’s mouth, as much as she didn’t like Draco at all. "Seems like we’re stuck together for the rest of the year, huh?" The blond-boy commented smirking. Has she ever mentioned how she hated that smirk?
She was afraid she was starting to agree with Roger; Slytherins are really a pain in the booty.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it. Please comment.
And forgive me for taking so long to update!
Love you, readers!

/Antoniali