Remember this Face, Baby.

fourteen

AFTER SCHOOL

I had ended up not returning to class, after Kayla had found me during second period. My teacher would be questioning me about my sudden absence tomorrow, but I would just tell her I wasn’t feeling well and I went to see the nurse. Thankfully, I was eighteen and a note wouldn’t be needed, unless if my teacher was in dire need of seeing it.

I attended the rest of my classes, and once the bell for the day to end rang, I made it to my locker and gathered my belongings, trying to ignore the jacket hanging on one of the hooks inside my locker. I reached for my sweater and slipped it on, zipping it just below my neck. I pulled my hood over my head and shut my locker door closed. I skimmed the hallway for any sign of Deryk and when I didn’t see him, I sighed and moved into the crowd heading towards the entrance.

At the foot of the stairs, Kayla stood in the center of a circle of senior guys, absorbing all the attention they were giving her. Groups of girls walked past Kayla and the senior guys circling her, giving her dark stares and sending daggers in her direction. I knew Kayla was aware of them staring at her and giving her the stink eye, but that was she wanted; Kayla wanted girls to envy her because she knew she was beautiful and she didn’t have to try hard to get the attention of anyone. Kayla enjoyed flaunting what others couldn’t have.

“You know, Kayla? I haven’t seen you with a guy on your arm in a long time,” a senior with dirty blonde hair, commented, touching her shoulder. Kayla glanced over her shoulder and arched an eyebrow, letting a sly smirk slide across her pink lips.

“I don’t need anyone on my arm,” Kayla said, as she stared up at the grey-eyed teenager. He smirked and moved a strand of hair from her eyes, letting his touch linger. His other hand was laid, comfortably on her right hip, looping his finger with the belt-hoops of her jeans.

“I think you should be on my arm, Kayla. You should be treated like a princess and I promise, you won’t just be my princess, you’ll be my queen. You deserve it and I’ll give you everything you want and more,” he said, softly and leaned closer to her.

If it had been any other girl, they would have been swooning. The senior’s name was Caleb Rogers. Caleb was a very good-looking guy and had eyes the colour of silver. He was popular amongst the students, but it seemed the popularity hadn’t gone up to his head. He always held a genuine smile over his lips and when he spoke to someone, he spoke to them. I found it strange that even though he was popular, he spoke to others below him. Most of the popular kids ignored people they referred as dorks, nerds, etc. Caleb seemed to be the exception.

“You see, Caleb,” she paused, and licked her lips, glancing down at the ground for a second. And her comes the disappointment, I thought, as she glanced up and smirked, “I do want a lot of things, and I’m not going to lie. I’m a girl, but here’s something you need to understand. I don’t need anything from you and being on your arm, sweetie, would lower my standards and trust me, I have very high standards in a man,” she said, venomously.

Caleb looked taken back for a second, before his look of disappointment dissolved into a smile. He laughed, half-heartedly and shook his head, “I’ll pick you up at eight tonight, then. Your bitch attitude doesn’t intimidate me, Kayla,” he said, gently and let go of her pants.

“You’re messing with the wrong girl, Caleb,” Kayla hissed and he shrugged, as he turned on his heel.

“I guess we’ll have to see tonight, won’t we?” he called over his shoulder. Kayla stared after him, shocked and confused. The seniors dispersed from the circle around her, talking about what had happened and that was my cue.

I stepped down the stairs and stood beside my best friend, looking after the teenager. Her eyes narrowed, dangerously and turning on her heel, she sent a dark glare at a few sophomores, making them scurry and satisfied with that, she marched to her car. Following behind her, I wondered if I should say something, but I kept my mouth shut.

For a few minutes after we had climbed into her car and buckled up, she sat seated in her seat, looking shocked and furious. A vein at the side of her neck was bulging and she was gripping the steering wheel, making her knuckles turn extremely white.

“Can you believe that guy?” she snarled, glaring at something ahead of her and after following her gaze, I noticed it was Caleb and a group of his friends.

“Am I allowed to say something?” I asked, quietly. Kayla ripped her gaze from the beautiful senior and glanced at me, softening her gaze just a little.

“Of course you are, Karissa,” Kayla said, as though I had asked a stupid question.

“I think you better go on that date with Caleb tonight,” I mumbled.

Kayla didn’t say anything, like I thought she would’ve. She started the engine and drove out of the parking lot, catching Caleb’s attention. I watched his face break out into a smile, as he climbed into his truck and then, he was out of my sight. Kayla was glaring at the road ahead of her and slowly, she came to a brake at a red light.

“I’m not going on that date,” Kayla said, with finality to her tone.

Not wanting to anger her furthermore, I nodded and decided to change the subject. “Can we get Alexis from daycare? My mom works until late tonight and she told me to pick her up,” I said, gently.

“Of course we can, but I don’t have a car seat. We can get in a lot of trouble if the police pull us over,” Kayla stated, turning into a lane and pushing down on the gas.

“My mom dropped the car seat off with Lexi this morning,” I answered, and Kayla nodded, with a sigh of relief.

The rest of the way to the day care was spent in a comforting silence. The air wasn’t filled with tension, as it had been this morning. I watched the pictures fly past my window, while Kayla drove through the city. I placed my head against the window and stared up at the blue sky. Large puff balls floated across the sky, turning into different kinds of shapes, until they dissolved into the atmosphere and became one.

Kayla turned a corner and slowly came to a halt at the curb. I moved away from the window and looked over at Kayla. I, then, checked the time and realized we had fifteen minutes to spare. Kayla turned off the engine, realizing the time and unbuckling her seat belt, she leaned in back in her seat and sighed. I unbuckled myself and sat cross-legged, staring out the window. I could see through the windows of the day care, watching toddlers play inside the large playground. Mothers were inside, waiting to pick up their children and I wondered if I should go inside. I was anxious to see my daughter and watch her smile at the sight of me.

Hearing Kayla shuffle in her seat, I glanced over at her and saw her staring back at me. I arched an eyebrow and she chuckled, shaking her head. She sighed and reached into her purse, pulling out her cell phone. She groaned, loudly staring at the screen and tossed the device back into her purse. She placed her elbow on the window sill of the opened window and sighed, tangling her hand in her hair.

Without caring, I reached into her purse and glanced at the cell phone, smirking to myself. Teasingly, I said out loud, “I don’t care how much you hate me, you stand me up tonight, and I’ll just pick you up tomorrow at eight and the next until you finally come out to dinner with me.

“Karissa, you bitch!” Kayla screeched, slapping my leg. She groaned, once I started laughing and turned her cell phone off. She flipped the radio on and ignored my loud laughing, bobbing her head to the song playing.

“You’re going on that date, Kayla, even if you want to or not,” I stated, matter-of-factly. At my answer, she glanced in my direction with her eyebrows furrowed and her mouth hanging opened.

“You can’t possibly be serious. Karissa, I am not going out with him! He literally forced me on a date with him. I’m not going out with someone who thinks he can push women around,” Kayla stated, firmly and shook her head.

“Caleb’s a nice guy. I wouldn’t be making you go on a date with him, if he wasn’t worth your time. He’s nothing compared to all those other jocks. He’s a sweetheart and he’s hot. Just give him a chance. Remember what you told me earlier? Life’s about taking risks and taking chances. I’m not the only one hiding behind my fear and pain,” I knew it struck a cord, because her face changed expressions and she sighed, heavily.

“I shouldn’t have said that to you. You’re always going to use it against me,” she said, tiredly and continued, “Well, he’s going to be looking for a while because he doesn’t know I’m living with you. He still thinks I’m living at the mansion.”

“If you don’t call Caleb and tell him you’re living with me, I’ll make sure he knows one way or another. I’m not letting you throw this chance away,” I replied.

“You’re really not going to let me stay home with you, are you? You’re going to make me go on that date and I want to know why,” Kayla said, and crossed her arms stubbornly, turning to face me.

“Here’s the reason. You’re a bitch. You treat guys like toys and yes, I know, guys are only good when you’re able to play with them, but think. Guys have feelings, too and Kayla, you need to stop fearing every guy is going to be like Tim. That bastard is gone and he won’t be coming back anytime soon. You need to get a boyfriend. Like Caleb said, a lot of people haven’t seen you with someone on your arm and I know he didn’t mean it in a bad way,” I explained and watched her eyes narrow into tiny slits.

“I don’t need to have a guy on my arm, though. I’m independent. I’ve been fine going on with my life the way it is now. I get the guys I want and I throw them away. It’s just a one day thing and Caleb will be no different,” Kayla snapped.

“Caleb won’t take your independence from you and you very well know that. Caleb respects you and he may have not shown it to you earlier, because you were acting like a bitch and I would’ve said something like that to, if you would’ve said I would lower your standards. Give him a chance and let him in,” I could tell Kayla was starting to cave in and rolling her eyes, she grimaced.

“If I do this, you better take your own advice and I know you know who I’m referring to,” Kayla said, bluntly. Trying to ignore the slight rude tone to her voice, I nodded and rolled my eyes.

“I already told you things are going to change from here on,” I said, and found it hard to believe I was changing and moving on. Sighing, I glanced at the radio and saw it was time to get Alexis. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and opened the door, “I’m going to get Alexis now,” I told Kayla and she nodded.

I closed the car door behind me and walked towards the day care, stepping inside. I smiled when I heard the giggles and screams of the toddlers, running around crazily and jumping on everything they came across. Amongst all the kids, I finally spotted my daughter and I sighed, happily.

Mothers sat on benches off the playground area and every one was conversing with each other. I noted another thing; I was the youngest one. All the women I spotted were at least ten or fifteen years older than I was at my age of eighteen and I wondered what kinds of things were going through their mind, as they stared at me. They probably thought I was an older sister, but by their stares of disapproval, they knew I wasn’t anything but a sister.

As though I looked lost and I had never been here before, a middle-aged woman walked towards me and smiled, kindly. I knew she was a mother, because I saw her talking with the other mothers seated on the benches. I tried not to glance at the other mothers and ask them what they were staring at because I didn’t enjoy them staring at me like I was below them. I went through this everyday.

“Hello, young lady. Are you lost?” the woman asked and I eyed her up and down. She must have been in her early thirties, if not middle. She wore a knee-length black coat and underneath, she had a blouse and dress pants with high heels. Her dark brown hair was left to flow around her shoulders and her eyes were a dark green. Her lips were coated in red lip stick and her cheeks were powdered with a slight redness.

Again, she smiled and tilted her head, looking at me like all adults do when they see a teenager walk by; I was lost and annoying. Instead of snapping at her like I wanted to, I let a fake smile spread across my lips and shook my head. “No, I’m not lost. Why? Do I look lost?” I asked, trying to hide the anger behind my words.

“Oh. Are you volunteering then?” she asked, and I wished she’d just vanish.

“No, I’m not volunteering,” I said and glanced over her shoulder, seeing the mothers watching the woman talking to me. I glanced over and saw Alexis playing in a sandbox with a little blonde boy. I smiled, as my heart fluttered and glanced back when the woman began talking to me, again.

“Did you hear me, miss? I asked a question,” she said, sternly, as though I was her daughter and I had had about enough of her.

Narrowing my eyes, I coated my voice with venom and answered her, “Ma’am, I’m not your daughter, so don’t speak to me, as if I am and no, I’m not here for volunteer work and I’m not lost. I’m here to pick up my daughter. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get my daughter’s belongings.”

The woman look dumbfounded and without caring what the other women said, I shouldered past her and walked towards a large closet where the counselors put the toddlers stuff in, and grabbed the car seat and baby bag. I slung the bag over my shoulder and placed the car seat by the door. I walked across the play ground area and bent down on my knees, running my hand through my daughter’s soft hair. She glanced up at me and smiled, standing up from her spot in the sandbox and reaching out for me.

“Hey baby. How are you, Lexi?” I said, hugging my daughter and kissing her cheek. She giggled and fell on her knees, reaching out for a shovel she had been playing with and placing it in my hands.

“Mama, mama,” she said, loudly, and patted the sand, repeatedly.

“Do you want me to dig, baby girl?” Again, she giggled and sat down on her bottom, as I began to dig a hole beside her. She clapped, happily and tilted her head as she stared at me. I kissed her forehead and glanced over my shoulder, staring at all the women watching me.

A counselor spotted me at the sandbox and she walked towards me, smiling. I smiled up at her, handing Alexis the shovel and stood up, dusting my hands off. “Hi, miss. How are you?” she asked.

“I’m great. I’m here to pick up Alexis. Is it okay if I take her?” I asked, gently and glanced down at Alexis. She crawled across the sandbox and plopped herself beside the little boy, handing him the shovel. He sent her a toothless smile and handed her the purple bucket he had been playing with.

“Of course you can take her. Your mother told us you’d be picking her up. We just adore Alexis. She’s a beautiful baby and she’s really good with us. She hardly cries,” the counselor told me and I blushed.

“Well, thank you, but it was nice talking to you. I have a friend waiting for me, so I need to get going,” I said, quickly and the counselor nodded, with a gentle smile.

“Let’s not keep them waiting. I’m just going to get Alexis’ jacket and her shoes. I’ll be right back,” the counselor said, and I nodded, watching her walk towards the women. She sent them a smile and then, retreated to the back.

I turned to Alexis and smiled. “Come on, baby. We’re going home, now. Say bye,” I said, gently. She glanced at the little boy and smiled, waving her hand. She got up from her spot and waddled towards me, reaching out to me. I picked her up and placed her against my side, kissing her chubby cheek.

“Here we are. Do you need help with the car seat?” the counselor asked, and I nodded.

“Yes, please,” I said, gently and I glanced at all the women, grinning. “Oh, and say bye to all the mommies over there,” I said, and Alexis glanced over at the mothers, giving them a small smile.

After I put Alexis’ jacket and shoes on, the counselor and I walked towards Kayla’s car and she placed the car seat inside. I thanked her and buckled up Alexis inside her car seat. I placed the baby bag beside her and handed her a bottle. Kissing her one last time, I climbed in the front and we drove home.

By the time we got home, Alexis had fallen asleep in her cat seat with her bottle lying in her lap. I unbuckled the sleeping baby and cradled her in my arms, then grabbed the baby bag and walked towards the house. Kayla grabbed the car seat and her purse, before she followed suit and walked into the house.

Once Alexis was in her play pen, I turned the television on and lowered the volume. Kayla was in the kitchen, scavenging for food. I walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table, watching Kayla gathering a bunch of things on the kitchen counter. She sighed and turned to face me, shaking her head.

“I don’t want to,” Kayla stated and walked towards me, taking a seat beside me. She frowned, as she stared at the table and played with her fingers.

“It’s too late to say no. He’ll be picking you up in four hours. Call him and tell him you aren’t living at the mansion anymore. Kayla, it’ll be fun. I know you’re going to enjoy yourself,” I said, taking a hold of her hand. She gave my hand a gentle squeeze and then, sighed, loudly, nodding her head.

“Give me the phone before I regret what I’m doing. Jesus, I can’t believe you’re making me do this!” she said, loudly and I laughed, handing her the phone off the charger.

Without hesitation, Kayla plugged in Caleb’s number and pressed the phone against her ear. I watched her chew on her nails and I took that as a good sign that she was nervous. She stared at the wall behind me and took her fingers out of her mouth, to tap her nails on the table.

After the fourth ring, Caleb answered. Kayla stuttered slightly, but she composed herself and cleared her throat, “Is this Caleb?”

“Okay, this is Kayla. If we’re going out or whatever and you’re coming to pick me up, I’m not at the mansion,” she paused, as she listened and she rolled her eyes, “No, I’m living with Karissa. Do you know where she lives?” Again, she paused and she nodded to herself, “Eight then. Okay, bye.”

Raising my eyebrows, I watched Kayla place the phone back on the charger and stand up from her seat at the table. She ignored me, as she continued to make whatever she was brewing, before she glanced over her shoulder and mumbled, “He’ll be here at eight.”

Squealing, I stood up from my seat, sprinting towards her. I hugged her and watched her laugh, knowing Caleb was going be making her smile for a while.