Remember this Face, Baby.

fifteen

THREE HOURS LATER

I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall in the kitchen; it was already close to 8:00 PM. Caleb would be arriving soon and Kayla was upstairs, doing only God knows what. When I had gone upstairs, in my mind, I had thought Kayla would have been finished by this point, but much to my surprise, she had been running around in her towel, tossing clothes items to one side of the room. This had only been half an hour ago, and I knew she still wasn’t ready.

I walked into the living room, with a bottle filled with milk and sat down on the couch. Alexis was playing in her pen, knocking two teddy bears together. I smiled and placed the bottle on the coffee table. I didn’t want to bother Alexis, especially if she was playing. It made my heart melt whenever I saw her smiling and playing happily. It was something I wanted to never stop.

“Karissa!” I rolled my eyes, as I recognized the shriek that rang throughout the entire house. Alexis’ head had snapped up from her bears and her expression showed how confused she was. Before I attended Kayla, I bent over the play pen and kissed my daughter on her forehead, then walked to the foot of the stairs and looked up to see Kayla. Still in her damn towel.

“Are you serious, Kayla? Caleb’s going to be here in approximately ten minutes and you still haven’t changed! What the hell have you been doing up there all this time?” I asked, staring up at my best friend in disbelief.

“I can’t do this, Karissa! Can you call Caleb for me and tell him I’m sick with the stomach flu or something? I really can’t do this,” Kayla whined, loudly and slid down the wall, sitting on her bottom at the top of the stairs.

“I already told you. You are going out with Caleb. That’s my final word. Don’t make me come up there and dress you myself,” I said, firmly and pointed my index finger at her. Narrowing her eyes, she shrieked in frustration and got up from her spot on the stairs, stomping back down the corridor until I couldn’t see her. With a sly smirk, I turned from the stairs and walked back into the living room, sitting back down on the comfy couch.

I chuckled, once I realized Alexis was staring up at me. I pushed myself onto my knees and placed my arms over the edge of her play pen. Alexis giggled and stood up, placing her hands on my forearm. She leaned her cheek on my hand and smiled, as I caressed her cheek with my thumb.

“I love you, Alexis. You’re my little angel,” I whispered. I kissed her forehead and gently, I moved my arm away. I reached inside and picked her up, sitting on the couch and handing Alexis her bottle. She took it without hesitation and cuddled closer to my body.

Just as I began looking through the channels on the television, I heard two knocks at the door. I placed the remote on the table and switched Alexis onto my hip. I glanced at the time on the television and it read eight.

“I’m going to slaughter Kayla,” I mumbled to myself, as I walked to the door. Opening it, I saw it was Caleb. As always, Caleb looked ravishing. He wore a baby blue button up shirt, with his sleeves rolled up by his elbows. His shirt was tucked in his black slacks and he wore black, shining dress shoes.

“Hey, Caleb,” I said, gently.

Caleb smiled and then, he glanced at Alexis. My insides flipped and I wondered if he was going to say something rude, even if he wasn’t the type to, but he grinned and said, “Hey Karissa. How are you?”

“I’m good,” I said, and glanced over my shoulder, watching the stairs for Kayla. I could hear shuffling from upstairs and I wondered what the hell she was doing.

“That’s good. Is this your daughter?” Caleb asked, glancing at Alexis. The baby tilted her head at him and then giggled, reaching out for him. I tightened my grip on her, in case she slipped, but she continued to struggle against me as she reached out for Caleb.

“Yup, this struggling baby is mine. Her name’s Alexis,” I stated.

“Here, let me take her,” Caleb chuckled and hesitantly, I handed Alexis to him and instantly, she stopped struggling and relaxed against his chest.

“Uhm, Kayla is still getting changed. I honestly don’t know what’s taken her so long. Do you want to come in?” I asked, stepping aside for him.

“It’s okay. I take that as a good sign,” he chuckled and then, nodded, “Sure, I’ll like to come in. After you,” he said.

Caleb followed me into the living room and sat down on one of the couches across from me, placing Alexis on his lap. She seemed comfortable with him and I didn’t mind that she chose him for the moment, and not me. Knowing she would be fine with him, I told him to wait a moment, as I moved to the stairs.

Once I got upstairs, I stomped towards Kayla’s room and saw her sitting on the bed, chewing on her nails. Thankfully, she wasn’t in her towel anymore and she had finally gotten dressed. Even if it seemed like she was hypnotized or in some kind of a trance, it didn’t stop her from looking stunning.

Closing the door behind me, I walked towards my friend and bent on my knees, pulling her hand away from her face. I held her hands in mine and shook her, lightly, watching her head snap upwards. Her eyes widened slightly and she looked away, quickly. I didn’t want to believe there were tears in her eyes.

“Kayla, please look at me,” I whispered, and she slowly turned to stare at me. And there they were; the tears I thought I had imagined. I knew she wasn’t breaking into tears because of her mascara and eyeliner, but her lip quivered and her body shook with the sobs threatening to explode.

“I’m sorry,” she said, quietly.

“I don’t want you to be sorry. If it makes you feel any better, you look beautiful and I know Caleb will feel the same way, if not better. Come on, Kayla. He’s waiting downstairs with Alexis,” I said, bending off my knees and pulling Kayla up with me.

“I’m just nervous, like, really nervous. I haven’t felt like this in years. Last time I went on a real date, was when I began dating Tim. It just brings back memories,” Kayla stated.

“Forget those memories for now and start making new ones with Caleb. You should see him, Kayla. He looks breath-taking,” I said. Kayla sighed, heavily and nodded.

“Can you give me a second? I promise, I’ll be down in a few minutes. I just need to apply some more make-up and fix up,” Kayla claimed and I nodded, kissing her cheek.

“No more than five minutes,” I said, and left Kayla.

I smiled, once I reached the last stair and walked into the living room, seeing Caleb holding a sleeping Alexis. He didn’t seem to mind that there was a sleeping baby in his lap and he kept his index finger in between Alexis’ small hand. I tried not to picture David, sitting there with his daughter in his arms, but I found it hard not to. I sighed, shakily and pushed the image to the back of my mind.

“She’ll be down in a few minutes,” I commented.

“I hope she’s as nervous as I am. I just don’t want to be a one night thing, you know? I really do like her,” Caleb replied and ran his hand threw his dirty-blonde hair. He chuckled and shook his head, staring down at Alexis. He smiled down at the baby, and glanced up at me, with a sad smile, “I just hope she likes me. She doesn’t have to like me this instant, but I want her to like me, eventually.”

“I’m not going to lie to you, Caleb. She is a tough girl and she’s definitely independent of herself. All I can really say is give her time. Ever since Tim, you know, she hasn’t been able to trust guys easily. That’s why she plays around with them. Just earn her trust first and then, start making the moves. And, try to live through all her insults and try to stand her attitude. If she knows you’ll be there through that, I’m sure that’ll be enough and I promise, I’ll help, too,” I told him and he nodded, with a soft smile.

“Thanks, Karissa. You know, I don’t know why David did all that you. He doesn’t see he lost a great girl and he has beautiful daughter, too. I never did believe everything he told the guys and me. You don’t seem like the type to sleep around with other guys. Everyone even said it looked like you really loved him,” sighing at his sudden words, I nodded and tried to keep a strong smile.

“I did love him and I’m glad everyone saw that. It just hurts that the only one who didn’t see that, was the one that mattered the most. I don’t need him, though and neither does Alexis. All she needs in her life is me, her grandmother and Kayla. She knows we love her,” I claimed and glanced down at Alexis.

“David’s an asshole. He’s been one since we were little. It’s always about him, and I thought when he started dating you, he changed. He did, and then when you guys broke up, he became a bigger asshole,” Caleb explained.

“I noticed,” I chuckled and shook my head, “It’s over now, though. He’s nothing and he knows it,” I added, and shrugged.

“Ahem!” Glancing over my shoulder, I stared at Kayla and grinned. She made my heart flutter with happiness, and just seeing the natural blush spread on her cheeks made me realize she actually liked Caleb, too.

Caleb strung up, the moment he spotted Kayla. Caleb handed me Alexis and smiled, before he turned to Kayla. Looking even more nervous than he had when he entered the house, he walked towards Kayla and smiled. “You look beautiful, Kayla,” he said, softly. I watched Kayla blush a darker red and glance down, twiddling with her fingers. I wanted to jump with joy, because that was the sign that she liked him.

“Come on, then. Let’s get going. I didn’t get all dolled up to stand here,” Kayla said, snobbishly and flipped her hair off her shoulder. Grimacing, I rolled my eyes and placed Alexis down in her play pen. I fell down against the couch and sighed, quietly.

Fortunately, Caleb didn’t look offended. Instead, he took her hand and nodded, flashing a breath-taking smile I knew made her knees weaken, “I wasn’t planning on making you wait. Are you ready to go?” he asked, gently.

“I was born ready,” she stated. I glanced up at her and winked, before waving at Caleb.

“I want her home by twelve tonight. No later!” I exclaimed, as they walked out the door.

“Fuck you, Karissa!” Kayla shrieked and the door slammed.

I knew I wouldn’t need to worry about Kayla because she was with Caleb. I had a feeling Kayla wouldn’t be home until late tonight and again, she was with Caleb. The only little one I might need to worry about is Alexis, but even she seemed fine sleeping in her play pen.

Without further thinking, I grabbed the blanket from the top of the couch and lay across my couch, covering myself with the wool blanket. I snuggled closer into the couch’s back and once I found the perfect spot, I closed my eyes and dozed off.

NEXT MORNING

A direct ray of warm sunshine hit my face the moment the sun starting rising on the horizon. My eyes fluttered opened and forgetting the fact that I was still on the couch, I rolled onto my side and ended up falling off the couch, with a loud and painful thud. Groaning, miserably and rubbing the side of my face, I glanced around the living room and stared blankly at the television, which was still on.

Minutes ticked by, as I stared at the television and for moment, I had fallen asleep with my eyes opened, until I realized the time. Cursing, loudly under my breath, I pushed myself up from the floor and sprinted up the stairs, tripping just once before I made it into the bedroom at the end of the hallway. I pushed the door opened and stepped inside the dimly-lit room.

“Kayla, we’re going to be late for school,” I grumbled, rubbing my eyes and searching, desperately for the light switch.

It wasn’t long before I found the light switch, but unfortunately for me, I didn’t see the suitcases puking with clothes just to my left. Just as my foot hit it, I could fell myself falling forward and as I searched, wildly for something to grab, I finally hit the floor with a loud screech.

“Holy, Jesus Christ! I am up!” Kayla shrieked, as she sat up quickly and looked frantically across her room. I moaned, painfully and grumbled how this day was just not having it.

Kayla crawled across her bed and stared down at me, sprawled on the floor. She arched an eyebrow and sighed, shaking her head, as she got up from her bed. I lifted my arm and waited for my best friend to pick me up, and after a few minutes of watching me, she grabbed my hand and pulled me up.

“One thing; what are you doing in my room?” Kayla asked.

“Well, we only have half an hour to get ready and get to school. That was the main reason,” I claimed. I watched Kayla’s eyes nearly bulge out of her head, as she finally realized the time and with a loud shriek that woke up the entire house; she grabbed her towel and ran into the bathroom.

I walked into the corridor and saw my mom poking her head out of her room, narrowing her eyes from the brightness of the sun shining inside the house. I hadn’t spoken to her since yesterday morning and I didn’t know if she was willing to speak to me yet.

“What’s going on? Why’s Kayla screaming like a maniac?” my mother asked, sleepily.

“We only have half an hour to get ready and get to school. We woke up late,” I explained and she nodded, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Oh, do you want me to call in and tell them you’re going to be late?” my mom asked, gently.

Shaking my head, I smiled, “No, it’s alright. We’re both legal adults and we can just walk into the office. They’ll either give us a note we can show our teachers or put in the computer we were late,” I claimed and she nodded, yawning, loudly.

“Alright, if that’s what you want. Would you mind taking Alexis to day care this morning? I feel really tired from work last night. I had a bad head ache and I wasn’t able to sleep most of the night,” my mom said, tiredly and I nodded, without hesitance.

“Yes, of course. Her day care’s on the way to school, anyways. Go back to sleep, mom. Do you want me to bring you an Advil or a cup of tea?” I asked, stepping closer to her. She smiled and nodded, answering, “I’ll take you up on that offer of Advil and a cup of tea.”

“You should get back in bed and I’ll put the kettle on. I’ll bring up the Advil in a moment,” I said, guiding her back to her bed.

Once she climbed into her bed, I pulled the covers up to her breasts and kissed her forehead. She smiled, and I watched her close her eyes. Taking that as a cue to leave, I started walking off when she called my name. Glancing over my shoulder, worriedly, I replied, “What’s wrong, Mom?”

“Don’t worry me like that, again. It was stupid of you to climb up on the roof, especially after everything that has happened. You’re my only daughter and losing you would kill me. Please, Karissa, just be careful,” I couldn’t believe how old she sounded to me. Her voice was always filled with such happiness, even after my father had passed away. She had been strong throughout the funeral, even as she held me while I sobbed and when she spoke to me, her voice was light and filled with so much love.

Listening to her tired voice made my heart break into two.

“I know, mom and I hope you know I’m sorry. I love you, mom,” I whispered and stepped out into the corridor, closing the door, lightly behind me. I wiped the tears from my eyes and walked downstairs.

Pulling my hair into a messy bun on top of my head, I grabbed Alexis’ belongings and walked out of my room. I jogged down the stairs and saw Kayla shoving fruit loops down her throat, as she watched Alexis, and Barney on the television. I shook my head, placing Alexis’ baby bag on the floor near the door and slipped into my wool zip up sweater. Kayla was already dressed and ready to head out the door, as she carried Alexis in her arms and the empty cereal bowl into the kitchen.

“Are you ready to go, Karissa?” Kayla called.

“Yeah, let’s go,” I called. I slipped into my shoes and slung my back pack over my shoulder, opening the front door. Kayla rushed out of the kitchen, still holding Alexis in her arms, as she grabbed her purse and book bag from the floor.

“Are we dropping off Alexis?” Kayla asked, as she climbed into the driver’s side. I nodded, buckling Alexis into her car seat. I placed our bags at the back and closed the door, climbing into the passenger side.

“Please. My mom isn’t feeling too well. She said she hardly slept last night because of her head ache,” I told Kayla and she nodded, pulling out the drive-way.

“By the way, we’re going to Starbucks, too. Those Fruit Loops didn’t fill me up at all and I feel like I’m starving,” Kayla grumbled, as she put the car into gear and drove down the road.

Nodding in agreement, we disappeared down the road.

By the time we reached the school, it was forty after nine. We climbed out of Kayla’s car and walked towards the main entrance of the school. I hadn’t wanted to come to school today because I wanted to spend time with Alexis and I wanted to keep a close eye on my mom. I found it strange that she was ill because of a headache, when she had never suffered from a headache in her entire life.

I followed Kayla, as we reached the office and moved inside, glancing at the other students seated on the chairs along the wall waiting. I watched them run their eyes over me, examining me like I was some sort of science experiment gone wrong.

Completely ignoring them, Kayla marched towards the receptionist and smiled. The secretary glanced up from the screen and returned her smile, “Yes, darling?” she asked, politely.

“Good morning. My friend, Karissa Montanni and I, Kayla Robinson needs to sign in. We woke up late this morning,” Kayla explained and the secretary nodded, pulling out a sheet of green paper.

“Do you have a note from a guardian and/or parent?” the secretary asked.

“We’re both 18,” Kayla stated and sat down on the seat provided, to sign her name down.

As hard as I tried to focus on Kayla and the secretary, I couldn’t help hear the sinister whispers to my right. Turning my attention to the two blonde girls and dark-haired boy, I watched them halt their conversation and glare at me. I narrowed my eyes at them and shook my head, turning to stare at Kayla.

“What’s wrong?” Kayla asked, in a hushed tone.

“Nothing,” I mumbled and signed my name down on the sheet, underneath Kayla’s name. Placing the pen down, I smiled at the secretary and started for the door, but Kayla stopped me. She laced her fingers with mine and stood in front of the three teens, watching Kayla cautiously. She narrowed her eyes at them and stepped closer to them, bringing me with her.

“Didn’t your mothers ever teach you that staring isn’t very polite?” Kayla hissed, arching an eyebrow.

“We weren’t staring at anyone,” the smallest of the blondes stated, staring up at Kayla with intimidation.

“No?” Kayla said, and chuckled, letting go of my hand. I turned to stare at the secretary and caught her watching the scene. I ran my hand down my face and wondered if she was going to call the principal.

“We don’t want any trouble,” the boy stated, and glanced over at the secretary.

“If I ever hear any of you say something or stare at my friend as if she was piece of shit again, I swear to every particle in my body I’ll make each of your life’s a living hell and I promise you, you’ll wish you never laid eyes on Karissa. I don’t give a fuck who you think you are, just remember one thing: you’re below me and if I want to fuck you over, I can step on you whenever I want to. You got it?” Kayla snarled, making sure to stare into each of the teen’s faces.

“I don’t understand why you’re sticking up for her! Can’t she fight her own fights or is she as pathetic as everyone says?” the blonde sitting in the middle snapped and I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t waste my breath on people like you,” I said and began walking towards the door.

“People like us? Look who’s talking,” the girl snickered and I heard the slap, before I saw it. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw the blonde holding her cheek, staring at Kayla in disbelief. I could see tears pooling around her brown eyes and I chuckled.

“Miss Robinson! That is about enough! Leave this office before I page down the principal,” the secretary screeched, pointing her long finger at the door.

“And you, ma’am, can teach this little bitch how to keep her mouth shut and to mind her goddamn business. This is a school after all; start teaching,” Kayla snapped, and turned on her heel, pushing me out of the office and slamming the door shut.

“I can’t believe you slapped her!” I exclaimed, as we rushed down the hallway.

“She had it coming the moment I laid my eyes on her,” Kayla shrugged, and then smirked, “I don’t think you understand how fucking good it felt to slap that bitch. My hand even stings because of how hard I hit her,” Kayla laughed. I watched her with wide eyes, before I began laughing with her.

“Do you know who she is, at least?” I asked, after we finished our hysterics.

“She’s Whitney Carol’s younger sister. The Carol sisters are known for staying on their knees too long. Bitches are supposed to be for slapping,” Kayla stated, bluntly and I laughed. “It was bound to happen sooner than later,” Kayla added.

We reached my locker and quickly, I opened it, grabbing all my things. Just as I started closing my locker, Kayla gripped the locker door and pulled it opened, reaching inside to grab the jacket that belonged to Deryk. I grimaced at the sight of it and rubbed my temple.

“I was meaning to ask you, Karissa. Whose jacket is this? You were wearing it yesterday,” Kayla claimed, holding it high to give it a good look.

“It’s Deryk’s. I forgot to give it back to him,” I mumbled, and rolled my eyes when Kayla smirked at me.

“Awesome! Now, you have a reason to actually talk to him,” she giggled and placed the jacket back inside my locker. She closed it and hooked arms with me, skipping towards her next class.

“Whatever,” I grumbled, before adding quickly, “Hey, you never told me what happened last night. Did you and Caleb hit it off?”

Kayla instantly blushed and she shrugged, turning to stare at something else. “It was alright,” she uttered, quietly and I knew she was smiling.

“Oh, fuck off. Tell me the truth,” I demanded, stopping, suddenly. Kayla groaned and stomped around in a circle for a few minutes. She threw her arms up in the air and sighed, loudly.

“Ugh, fine! We had a blast and yes, we did hit it off! We’re going on another date Friday. Are you happy?” She announced and narrowed her eyes at me.

“That’s all I wanted to know,” I paused, continuing to walk and before I reached my class, I threw over my shoulder, “I told you so!”

I heard Kayla shriek, as I closed the classroom door behind me and I smiled.