Remember this Face, Baby.

twenty-two

THIRD POINT OF VIEW
One Week Later

Kayla was glad the doctor was giving Karissa early release this afternoon. She couldn’t believe how quickly Karissa was recovering, but she was more than thankful. Karissa had been taken off the medication she had been given to ease the pain. Fortunately, her wounds had begun healing and the bruises that had discoloured her body, were starting to fade. The open wounds on her face were taking longer to heal and the doctor said the wounds might scar Karissa’s face. It would always be a dark reminder for Karissa, but if she was with Deryk, the reminder would begin to fade.

A dark frown darkened her glowing face. She glanced over at her full-length mirror and she saw the black sadness she had been trying to hide from everyone, especially herself, in her eyes. She had thought, once Deryk had given her his word about taking Karissa away with him, Kayla would be happy. Of course, she did feel happy because Karissa deserved a better life for herself, but she didn’t understand why she felt completely hollow, suddenly.

Kayla glanced around her old room, the place she had referred to as her sanctuary for fourteen years of living in this Hell of a mansion. It was in this room where she cried herself to sleep every night, hoping her mother heard her and would come see what was wrong. For hours, she would cry without end and in those few hours, her mother wouldn’t set a foot inside her room to see if her daughter was alright. Instead, she would tell her to quiet down because she needed to sleep. Kayla would quiet down, but she would continue crying until she fell asleep herself.

Kayla couldn’t say she loved her parents; she hardly knew them. Kayla despised her mother; that she knew for sure. When she was younger, Kayla didn’t know what hate was and she only knew what her Nanny had taught her. As Kayla began understanding more, she suddenly realized the dark emotion that had wrapped itself around her heart. She felt no love towards her mother and she had wondered if something was wrong with her. But as Kayla became a teenager, she understood her mother simply didn’t love her. It became the least of her problems and her mother was only the person who had given birth to her; she wasn’t her mother because a mother didn’t push her child away when her little girl wanted a hug; a mother scared the monsters away, she didn’t become the monster a little girl feared.

Caleb walked into Kayla’s room, hands tucked inside his jean pockets, as he watched his girlfriend sitting with a blank expression on her large bed. He didn’t know if he should bother her or just leave her be, but when he saw the tears run down her cheeks, he walked over to her without hesitation and pulled her into his arms. Kayla wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face in his chest, letting the sobs wrack her body, as Caleb tightened his grip on her. He kissed the side of her neck and left his face there, rubbing her back.

When Kayla’s sobs began easing, Caleb lifted his face from her neck and placed his lips against her ear, whispering, “What’s wrong, baby?” Kayla sniffled, and she pulled her face from his chest, looking up at her boyfriend’s face. She felt his fingers run over her cheeks, and she let him kiss her cheeks. He lifted his face away from hers and he stared down at her, waiting for her to answer him.

“I don’t know why I’m crying. I was thinking about Karissa moving away and then, I started thinking about when I was little. I was on an overload of emotions,” Kayla stated, and Caleb smiled, kissing her cheek again.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Caleb asked, softly and Kayla sighed, nodding. Caleb unwrapped his arms from her body and he laced his fingers with hers, pulling her towards the bed. He patted a spot beside him and she sat down, leaning against his side. His arm went around her waist, while his other hand held onto hers.

“I thought that I’d be happy I was doing this for Karissa. Well, fuck, I am happy. It’s just; I don’t want to let her go. It feels too soon, you know? We’ve been best friends since I can remember and I feel like we still need to spend more time together,” Kayla explained, and Caleb chuckled, rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb. He pulled her closer to his body and kissed her temple.

“You’re doing a good thing for Karissa, Kayla. You really are and I know one day Karissa’s going to thank for doing this for her. No one said letting go of your best friend would be easy, but sometimes doing the right thing can feel hard. I’ll be here the entire time, babe. I won’t let you go out alone,” Caleb claimed, running his fingers along her lips. She smiled and grabbed his hand from her lips, leaning into his chest as she placed her lips on his.

When they pulled away, Caleb smiled and kissed her forehead. “Thank you, Caleb,” Kayla whispered, staring up at Caleb. He stared back at nothing, but her eyes and Kayla felt her stomach fill with small butterflies.

“Why are you thanking me?” Caleb asked, curiously. Kayla leaned away from his body and turned to face him, keeping his hands laced with hers. A smile stretched across her face and she could feel her heart glowing.

“Because you stuck with me through all I put your through. When I acted like a complete bitch, you didn’t abandon me, like I thought you would have. That’s why guys avoid me,” Kayla explained and Caleb wanted to laugh right there and then. Guys hardly tried to avoid Kayla because how stunning she was. They wanted to get right close and personal with her; he knew all the guys he was friends with, avoiding Kayla had never crossed their mind.

“I highly doubt guys have ever tried to avoid you, Kayla,” Caleb chuckled, and she flushed, hiding her face from his direction. He laughed and reached for her face, placing his hand on her cheek and turning her in his direction. “You don’t need to be embarrassed. It’s the truth, though. You are beautiful and you have a body to die for. Every guy I know wants something to do with you. I’m just glad I got to you before they did,” Caleb added, and kissed her cheek.

“It is embarrassing though. No, it’s sad that guys only want me for sex. When you say every guy you know wants something to do with me, I know what they want. They want me lying on my back, while they ram me. As fun as that may sound, I don’t want to be used for just sex. I want to have someone there for me, you know? I love teasing guys, but I only tease guys because I know what they want and I’m in no position to give it to them,” Kayla announced, pulling her hands from his and standing up from the bed.

Caleb watched the beautiful blonde walk across her bedroom and sit down at her vanity. She stared at her reflection, and then played with her hair. Caleb smiled and stood up from the bed, striding towards her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and leaned down, kissing her bare neck.

He didn’t understand how one girl, especially one as complicated as Kayla, could make his heart skip beats and jump at the mere sight of her. He didn’t like her because of her stunning appearance, it was her in general. Caleb felt, as though she actually understood him for who he was and not for the jock everyone knew him as. Around Kayla, he didn’t have to act like someone else because he knew she wanted him, not anyone else.

“I’m not like those guys, though. I don’t want you for sex, though the thought of you lying underneath me doesn’t sound bad at all,” Caleb smirked, and Kayla groaned, rolling her blue eyes. He chuckled and again, kissed her neck, running his hands down her arms, “but I want someone to be there for me, as much as you want someone to be there for you. I’ll always be here for you, for anything and everything,” Caleb stated.

Kayla had wanted to hear someone speak those exact words. She didn’t understand why, but it felt like such a relief. All she could do was turn around in her seat and wrap her arms around his neck, kissing him with such a force it was bittersweet. She could care less if her lips were beginning to numb, because she wanted to feel him and she wanted Caleb to love her, unconditionally.

When Kayla pulled away from Caleb, her gaze dropped onto his lips and she was satisfied to see how swollen and red they looked. She could only imagine her own lips and a smile lifted her swollen lips, as she watched Caleb above her.

“We should get going. It’s almost eleven thirty and Karissa will be discharged around one,” Caleb mumbled, and kissed Kayla’s forehead.

“Yeah, let’s go. I can imagine how impatient Karissa is at this moment,” Kayla chuckled and stood up from her vanity. She kissed Caleb’s soft lips one more time, before she walked over to her duffel and took a quick last glance around her room.

Kayla had made so many memories – more good than bad – and she was willing to forget them to restart making new ones. She turned her attention to her wonderful boyfriend standing, patiently at the door and she smiled, walking towards him, lacing hands. Kayla let Caleb pull her out of her room, as she threw a glance over her shoulder and she sighed in relief she was finally leaving this place she called home and this place that had held her painful tears all her life.

As they reached the foyer, Caleb grabbed the duffel from Kayla and kissed her forehead, “I’ll wait for you outside, alright?” Caleb whispered, and Kayla smiled, nodding her answer. She watched Caleb walk out the door, before she turned to the large, elegant foyer and sighed. Silently, Kayla said her farewells and without a second glance, she walked out of the mansion and closed the door behind her.

FIRST POINT OF VIEW

I glanced at the clock for what seemed the millionth time and I sighed, falling back onto the large pillow behind me. It was close to twelve o’clock and that meant I was one hour closer to getting the hell out of this hospital and closer to going home. I felt like I hadn’t been home in ages and I missed the comfort of my bed. I also missed being able to spend quality time with my daughter, something I hadn’t been able to do in an entire week.

I glanced at the door and watched nurses pass by, either helping an injured patient or looking down at the clipboard in their hands. It was their daily routine and every day this week I had watched the same nurses and the same patients do the exact same thing. It was my only source of entertainment because unfortunately, my room did not come with a small television placed at the high corner of the room.

“Good afternoon, my darling!” a cheerful voice brought me from sudden ponderings and I turned my attention to the door, seeing my mother, Alexis and Deryk making it inside my room. Alexis bounded, excitedly in her grandmother’s arms and I laughed, standing up from my bed. I walked over to my mother’s side, ignoring the concern glowing in her eyes and took the beautiful baby from her arms.

It was such a joy to be able to hold my daughter in my arms, without worry that it would harm me in some way. I kissed Alexis’ chubby cheek and smiled, when she giggled and her arms wrapped themselves around my neck, as she placed her head on my shoulder. I cradled her in my arms and sat back on the hospital bed, not wanting to place her down ever.

“Can I go home now?” I demanded, glancing up at my mother. I could feel Deryk’s eyes on me and I was trying to ignore it as much as possible. I still hadn’t figured out what was going on between Kayla and him, and everyday it ate away at me.

“You have an hour left to be discharged. Just be patient, sweetheart,” my mother stated and I rolled my eyes, setting Alexis down on the bed beside me. She fell onto her back and giggled, kicking her feet into the air.

“I’ve been patient for an entire week. Having to wait another hour, feels like I’m waiting an eternity,” I grumbled and leaned down, kissing Alexis’ forehead. I smiled down at my daughter, and locked my finger inside her small hand, resting my arm against her belly.

When I glanced back at my mother, Kayla and Caleb were entering the room. Kayla’s face was glowing and when she looked at me, she smiled and walked over to me. Her arms wrapped themselves around my neck and she kissed my cheek, pulling away after a second. I faked a smile and turned to look at Alexis, hoping everyone would leave her alone with her daughter.

“I’m so excited you’re finally coming home! It’s so different without you there!” Kayla said, cheerfully.

“Yeah, I’m pretty excited, too,” I stated, and from the corner of my eye, I watched Kayla’s smile shrink, slightly. She finally realized I knew something was going on.

I was more than glad.

AN HOUR LATER

Alexis sat, comfortably in my lap chewing and slobbering all over a teddy bear Deryk had bought her downstairs in the gift shop half an hour ago. The moment Deryk had handed Lexi the stuffed animal, Alexis hadn’t set it down and she had introduced the bear’s face to her mouth. I am sure the bear is fully acquainted with my daughter’s mouth, especially after it’s been there since thirty minutes ago.

I kissed Alexis’ soft forehead and then, glanced around watching everyone inside my room. Caleb and Kayla were occupying the bed behind the curtain, as Kayla lay in between Caleb’s leg with her back against his chest. His arms were wrapped around her waist, securely, snuggling his head in the hollow of her neck, making her giggle. Deryk was sitting in the corner chair, sleeping with his arms resting over the chair’s armrests and his head set on the wall behind him. He looked so completely serene and beautiful; it made me wonder what mysteries he held with Kayla.

I sighed, wrapping an arm around Alexis’ torso, pulling her closer to me as I held her leg in my other hand. I hadn’t spoken to Kayla since the sudden realization and I wondered if I ever would. It also made me wonder if I really wanted to know what Deryk and Kayla were hiding; was it really worth it? I didn’t want to believe it was.

Hearing two familiar voices coming from the corridor outside my room, I turned my attention to the door. My mother was standing outside, glowing with happiness as the doctor spoke to her. She held her hands together against her chest as she watched the doctor, as though he was of a higher realm than we. Then, like a complete gentleman, the doctor placed his arm out, indicating my mother enter the room first and followed behind her. The doctor smiled as he spotted me watching him and I returned it, hoping he was here to discharge me.

“Good afternoon, Karissa. How are you feeling today?” the doctor asked, politely.

“I’m feeling much better, thank you,” I answered and the doctor nodded, walking closer to me.

“Well Karissa, I have some very good news for you. Like I promised yesterday, I am discharging you,” the doctor announced and I sighed relieved, finally smiling with great emotion. “But before you leave, I want to examine you thoroughly. I will write a prescription of painkillers for you to take home incase your recent injuries act up, but besides that, I think you have recovered beautifully.”

“Thank you, sir. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart,” I said, honestly and the doctor chuckled, “You’re welcome.”

I handed Alexis to my mother and sat, patiently for the doctor to revise me. Quickly, his hands ran over the injuries I had received a week ago and over my face. I felt every second that ticked by, I was just seconds closer to being released. Then, he removed his hands from my face and grabbed his pen, writing things on the clipboard he had placed on the bed before he had began his inspection. Once he finished writing whatever down, he handed me a sheet of paper and smiled.

“You’re free to go. Have a good day, Karissa and be careful,” he stated and nodded at everyone else in the room, before walking out.

I closed my eyes for a quick second, as I repeated his words in my mind and I smiled, opening them, glancing over at my mother. She walked over to me and hugged me, kissing my cheek and showing me how much she truly missed me. I took Alexis from my mother and kissed her, hugging her tight to my body.

“Let’s go home.”

I didn’t ever think riding in a car and seeing the heavy crowds covering the sidewalks would excite me so much. Being able to hear all the honking coming from angry drivers and not hear it from someone telling me, felt completely exhilarating. I felt like a young child early in the morning on Christmas day, sitting on the floor ripping wrapping paper from my presents, holding my breathe. It was amazing.

I watched out the window, like a curious dog the entire time and once we finally arrived at home, I leaped out of the car and unbuckled Alexis from her car seat, running towards the porch. I could hear my mother laughing behind me, as she locked up the car and carried my duffel up to the porch, inserting the key and opening the door. I stepped inside and inhaled so deeply, my nose burned, but I ignored it.

“Welcome home, sweetheart,” my mother said, kissing my forehead. She closed the door behind her and dropped the duffel by the stairs, then headed into the kitchen to prepare for tonight’s dinner.

“It’s good to be home,” I said to no one in particular. I smiled at Alexis cradled on my side and we walked into the kitchen, where my mother was going back and forth, running all the right utensils and pots for tonight’s dinner.

“Kayla, Caleb and Deryk should be here soon,” my mother stated and I refrained from rolling my eyes. I sat down at the kitchen table, placing Alexis on top. I placed my arms on either side of her and glanced over at my mother’s back.

“Why couldn’t we have dinner as a family?” I asked.

“They are our family, though. Even if Caleb and Deryk have only known you for a short amount of time, I consider them a part of our family. And Kayla; she’s been here since I can remember,” my mother explained, and I rolled my eyes at Kayla’s name.

“I meant, have a family dinner, as in you, Alexis and me,” I answered.

“Darling,” my mother paused, as she turned around and faced me. She smiled at my expression and crossed the kitchen to my side, “We can always a family dinner. I guess I want to say thank you to them for sticking around the hospital when I couldn’t and well, just being there for you this entire time. Let’s say this is like a thank you dinner,” my mother concluded and kissed my forehead.

“If you say so, I guess. I’m going to go upstairs and change into something different,” I said, and my mother nodded. I grabbed Alexis from the table and made my way upstairs. I walked into my room and sighed, as I sat down on my bed, placing Alexis on the floor. I laid back in the comfort of the cushions and smiled up at the ceiling, thanking everything superior for this amazing feeling.

I don’t know how long I lay on my bed, watching the ceiling. I was careless, to say the least and all I wanted to do was sleep, even though I had slept this entire week. That was the different though; sleeping on a hard bed for five days and not having enough space to turn on your side, fearing you’d tumble to the cold floor versus lying in your own bed and being able to do whatever the hell you wanted. Being at home beat everything else.

Reluctantly, I stood away from my bed and walked over to my dresser, pulling it opened. I glanced at the clothes inside and wondered if I should dress for this “occasion”, but I grimaced and shrugged my answer. It was only Kayla, Caleb and…Deryk. I mean, I did want to dress to impress for a certain someone, but that took energy and effort and I wasn’t that willing.

Undressing myself, I dumped my old clothes into a basket and pulled on a black V neck t-shirt and light grey sweats with Hello Kitty ankle socks. I tangled my hair into a high bun on top of my head, tucking a few strands of hair behind my ears. I found Alexis under her baby blanket and playfully, I rolled her in it and gave her a sloppy kiss on her cheek, making her laugh. I pulled her up into my arms and crawled across my bed, sitting in between my pillows. I unraveled the baby from her baby blanket and I watched her crawl from it, with a big smile on her face.

“I love you, Alexis,” I mumbled, as I stared after my daughter crawling back and forth on the bed.

A knock at my door caught my attention and I glanced over, calling whoever was outside, in. Much to my dislike, Kayla, Deryk and Caleb walked through the door. I wanted to groan and roll my eyes, but instead, I reached for the curious baby and pulled Alexis into my arms. Thankfully, she didn’t struggle and she fell against my belly, pulling her thumb into her mouth. I glanced down at Alexis as she tilted her head at Deryk and smiled, and when I looked over at Deryk he was smiling back at my daughter.

God.

“Welcome home,” Kayla mumbled and I half-smiled, nodding.

“Thanks,” I said, simply and glanced at the familiar faces I found unrecognizable now.

“Here, Karissa, we brought you something,” Caleb stated, and I suddenly saw the pink gift bag held in his hand. He handed it over to me and I couldn’t help flushing. I placed it in front of Alexis and instantly, she reached for it and looked inside.

“I hope you like what we bought you. I remember glancing around the gift shop and when I spotted it, your name came to my mind instant – “

“What are you guys up to? I know you guys I think I’ve been oblivious to whatever has been going on between you three, but I’m not stupid and it makes me so mad to think you guys would hide something from me,” I demanded, firmly. Kayla looked dumbstruck and her eyes widened, as she covered her mouth.

Deryk glanced over at Kayla’s shock-stricken face and then at Caleb. I wanted to scream in their faces and tell them how betrayed I felt, but I waited, patiently and watched them, until Caleb held Kayla around the waist and whispered something in her ear. She nodded, though the shock was still present in her eyes and she glanced over at Deryk. He nodded at her and she took a deep breathe, taking a seat on the bed.

“I want clear things up before I tell you what we have been keeping from you,” Kayla said, and I nodded, glaring daggers at her and much to my satisfaction, I watched Kayla Robinson shrink. She continued, “We only kept things from you because of the current condition you had been in. We didn’t want to bring anymore trouble to you, than you were already in and we were waiting for you to recover before we told you this.

“Karissa, remember that day you and I got into an argument? Remember how I ran off? Well, I went looking for Deryk and I told him all about you. I told him everything. And then, I made a preposition,” Kayla said, and she glanced over her shoulder at Deryk.

“What preposition? What are you talking about?” I asked.

It took Kayla what seemed an eternity to finally answer me. Tears were rushing down her face, suddenly and when she glanced back at me, I knew something was completely wrong. What had happened while I was in the hospital, for that short amount of time?

“When I went down to the cafeteria, looking for Deryk, I had in mind that Deryk was leaving in two weeks. Karissa, he’s going back to Chicago where he is originally from and he isn’t coming back. And that’s when it hit me.

“Deryk promised me he would take you with him to Chicago, so you could restart a new life there with him. In one week, Karissa, I want you boarding that plane with Deryk and I want you to leave this fucking town where you have lived a nightmare your entire life.”

What?