Remember this Face, Baby.

twenty-six

I had known from the moment Deryk had walked back inside the mansion, he would not return to the pool like he said he would. I didn’t consider him a liar because he was very much far from being one. He was a beautiful person, inside and out, but he always placed his work before his family. It had been this way since his father had passed down the company and Deryk had become the new owner.

I stared at Alexis’ disappointed expression, as she turned her attention to the patio doors. Jake kissed her cheek, and a flush moved across her cheeks, temporarily distracting her mind from thinking of Deryk. He chuckled and pulled her closer into his bare chest, letting Alexis wrap her arms around his neck as he carried her across the pool.

Tyson grabbed Ben from the tube he had been sitting in, and pulled him into his arms. I watched Benjamin yawn and rub his eyes from sleep, laying his head on his older brother’s shoulder. Jake followed suit and walked up the pool stairs, carrying a tired four year old in his arms. The two boys reached me and Jake handed me Alexis, passing me her pink towel in the process. Tyson sat in the lounge chair beside me, keeping Ben in his lap as he wrapped a Spiderman towel around the boy’s wet body.

“I thought Deryk was going to come out and swim with us,” Jake commented, turning his attention to the patio doors.

I sighed, heavily and shrugged, placing a hand behind Alexis’ head. “He overworks himself. He doesn’t give himself a break to just relax and have a good time. He’s in his office on a daily basis. I swear, I’ve tried every trick in the book to get him out of that damned office and they never seem to work. I don’t know what else to do,” I said.

“He’s just like our dad. We barely ever saw our dad when we were younger. It wasn’t until he retired and passed down the company to Deryk that we were finally able to spend some time with him, but even then, our old man continues to work,” Tyson stated, rubbing Ben’s back, gently. Ben yawned again and finally, he leaned against his brother and shut his eyes.

“I figured because it was your first day in the mansion, he would stop working for a bit and take you guys out for dinner or something. I understand the company is one of his top priorities, but he also has a family he needs to look over, too,” I claimed. I kissed the top of Alexis’ head and secured her against my body, as I began moving out of the lounge chair. She placed her head on my shoulder and yawned, softly, taking a hold of my arm.

“Momma, I’m tired,” Alexis grumbled, quietly and rubbed at her heavy eyes. I smiled and rubbed her back, placing my cheek over her head.

“I know, sweetheart, I know. Let’s go upstairs and take a nap. I’ll get one of the boys to tell Nana to bring up a cup of warm milk for you, baby,” I said, gently and she nodded, nuzzling her face into the hollow of my neck.

“Do we have to come inside, too?” Jake asked, curiously and I shook my head.

“No, you can stay outside for as long as you want. It’s only seven and the sun isn’t going down anytime soon, but one of you should take Benjamin upstairs. He should get out of his wet clothes and into his pajamas, so he can sleep for the night. He won’t be up until morning,” I answered and Tyson nodded, cradling Ben against his body.

“I’ll take him up,” Tyson said. He turned his attention towards Jake and added, “Get some water bottles and once I put Ben to sleep, we can play basketball. We can go for a swim afterwards.”

“I’m on it,” Jake claimed and rushed in the direction of the patio. He opened one of the doors and disappeared inside.

“I’ll talk to Deryk tonight,” I said, bouncing Alexis, gently in my arms.

“I just hope Deryk doesn’t turn into our dad. Deryk knows we lost him to work years ago and things haven’t been the same. I honestly don’t want to worry about another workaholic in the family,” Tyson mumbled. The sudden sorrow and despair in Tyson’s voice pushed down on my shoulders and I couldn’t help feel his same despair. I might have only lived with Deryk for two years, but I knew how Tyson felt and I’m sure Alexis did, too. She considered Deryk her father and she barely ever got to see him.



Alexis lay unconscious beside me, sucking on her small thumb. She snored, lightly and every so often, she would mumble something incoherent, before falling back into her deep sleep. I continued to run my fingers through her dark curls, smiling down at my sleeping daughter. I bent down and kissed her forehead, whispering, “I love you, Alexis.”

Silently, I moved off of the mattress, placing pillows as walls around her small body on the sides of the bed. I pulled the sheets higher over her body and before I left, I kissed her forehead for the second time and walked out of the bedroom, closing the door behind me. Swimming had completely drained Alexis and thankfully, she wouldn’t be awake until the morning.

I had wanted to tell Margaret of Alexis sleeping upstairs in my bedroom and hopefully, she would be able to keep an eye on her in case Alexis happened to wake up, but I shrugged the thought away and went straight for Deryk’s office. I fixed my shirt and then, pulled my hair into a ponytail, hoping I looked presentable after laying three hours in a comfortable bed with Alexis. Even after two years, I still felt like I had to impress Deryk, and I always caught myself doing something that might add a touch to my look.

After inspecting my appearance, I knocked a few times on Deryk’s office doors and waited for Deryk’s response. After a few seconds, I watched one of the double doors open and Deryk poked his head outside, smiling the moment he saw me. He opened the door fully and stepped aside, letting me pass into the room first. I smiled up at him as I passed him and walked for one of the two armchairs placed in front of his desk. I let myself fall, lazily onto the soft cushion and waited, patiently for Deryk to seat himself. I could see the mounds of paperwork over his desk and I couldn’t help, but grimace and glare at all the white paper.

“I know what you are here for, Karissa,” Deryk said, suddenly.

“Yeah, and what’s that?” I asked.

“I said I would go back to the pool to swim with the boys and I didn’t. Karissa, you have to understand I have a lot of paperwork to do and…” I couldn’t help, but roll my eyes and I nodded, sighing, loudly.

“Deryk, I do understand that, but you also have a family. Your three brothers are here. They came to see you and spend time with you. You have to understand that your work isn’t more important than your family,” I said.

“They are here all summer. I will have plenty of time to spend with them. I love my brothers very much and I would do absolutely anything to keep them happy. You also know I love Alexis like she was my own daughter. You can’t say I don’t care for my family because I do so much for them,” Deryk stated.

“Then prove it, Deryk. Show those boys your paperwork isn’t more important than they are,” I replied. Deryk held the bridge of his nose and a loud, exasperated sigh escaped his full lips. “Tyson said he doesn’t want you turning into your father. He doesn’t want to lose you the same way he lost his father to work, and I don’t, either.”

“Karissa, what must I do to show you I love my family? What else must I do to show you that? I’m trying to maintain a company with thousands of employees and a family,” Deryk answered.

“Deryk, it’s not me you have to show you love your family. It’s your brothers. I have gotten use not spending much time with you and I don’t mind it, but I see you more often than those boys do. You never stop working and last time I checked, you are still human. The company won’t stop functioning if you take some time off for your brothers. They’re your family, Deryk, think about it. If you continue to work like you are now, you are going to lose the most valuable thing in anyone’s life and that’s them,” I said, sternly. I stood up from the armchair and quickly retreated to the doors, shaking my head at the sudden failed attempt of making Deryk understand.

“Karissa, don’t go. I’m sorry.” There was something in his voice that made my body come to a sudden halt. I stood before the doors, pushing my hand against its smooth surface. I kept my eyes locked on a spot on the floor, as Deryk approached me. Lightly, he touched my shoulder and for a moment, I contemplated on slapping his hand away and walking out of his office.

But, I stood there and let the minutes tick by, waiting for Deryk to make the next move. I heard Deryk sigh and his warm breathe hit the back of my neck, making small bumps rise over my skin. My skin flushed and in that moment, Deryk turned me to face him. I didn’t dare look up at him, though, in fear that I may see something in his eyes that would make me forgive him. Instead, I hung my head and locked my eyes on a spot on his chest. I watched his finger move under my chin and gently, he began lifting my face, searching for my eyes.

“Come sit down with me, Karissa,” he mumbled, gently, taking a step closer to me. His face was above mine and a small smile spread across his lips.

“I can’t,” I answered, quickly. “Alexis is sleeping in my room and I don’t want her waking up without me. We have nothing else to talk about, Deryk.”

Deryk shook his head at my response. “Alexis will be fine. If she needs anything, Margaret will take care of her. For right now, though, you and I have to talk,” Deryk said, softly. He took my hands into his and pulled me away from the doors, leading me towards the couches.

“No, Deryk, stop,” I said, pulling my hands out of his grasp. “There is nothing to talk about. I’m here because of the boys and also because I’ve had enough. I want to see you out of this office and spending time with your family. I want to see you lounging on the couches, joking around with your brothers. But, what I want is much different than what you want. You decide on what is more important and what you want. I have a daughter to take of care at the moment and I’m going to go see her. Good night, Deryk.”

“I am not going to let you leave until you listen to what I have to say,” Deryk said, turning on his heel to face me. I rubbed at my aching temples, sighing, loudly at Deryk’s response. In all honesty, I didn’t want to hear what Deryk had to say because would it matter in the end anyways? Would he actually follow through? I hated doubting Deryk’s word, but I doubted he would stop working all day to spend time with his family.

Deryk didn’t want for me to respond, though. He turned his attention away from me and I watched his back, as he retreated towards the window at the far left of his office. On the ledge of the window, was a bottle of half-drunken whiskey and an empty glass Deryk picked up. He twisted the top off the whiskey bottle and tilted it over the glass, watching as the light brown liquid filled the emptiness. He placed the whiskey back on the ledge and he raised the glass up to his lips, swiftly tilting it back, until the remains were gone into his mouth. He held the glass in his hand for a moment, staring out the window at the city moving before him. He sighed, then and placed the glass down.

“I never wanted to inherit the company, Karissa. I had never planned working late into the night or until I watched the sun rise above the horizon, filling out paperwork and looking over documents. The company had been the one thing I despised the most. Because of the company, my brothers and I have been raised without a father. I hated the company and even though I now sit in the same chair my father sat for so many years, I hate the company with a burning passion.

“I don’t enjoy sitting in an office for the majority of my day, but there isn’t anything else I can do about it. I was next in line and I would rather take the company into my hands than have my brothers suffer because of it. They are young and they do not deserve to suffer the stress the company brings.

“I am not going to turn into my father, Karissa, and I promise you that. Unlike him, I know what is important and what should be put first before anything else. I love my family with every living particle and organism in my body. No one or nothing is ever going to change that. You, Alexis and the boys mean more to me than you will ever know and I don’t want to lose that, ever,” Deryk glanced over his broad shoulder, and the moment he caught my eyes, he locked eye-contact.

“We just don’t want to lose you, Deryk. We miss you, terribly,” I answered, quietly. Within a few steps, he was standing in front of me, cupping my cheek with his large hand. I leaned into his touch and placed my hand over his, staring up at his eyes.

He smiled and leaned forward, placing his lips against my forehead. “You won’t ever lose me, Karissa. You know I won’t ever abandon you, no matter what happens or what we go through. The company is becoming complicated more and more each day. I know I have barely been home, and I promise, I will make this up to you and my brothers. I promise, Karissa,” he said, gently.

“I believe you,” I whispered, and he smiled, again.

“Good,” he said. “Are you upset with me still?”

“No,” I said, simply. “But I do want to see change, Deryk. That’s all I’m looking for.”

“Give me time. You will see there will be change. I am under a great amount of stress at the moment. I just need you to support me through the merging of the companies. Once everything is settled, I promise there will be a change,” Deryk stated. I watched Deryk glance over at his desk and his eyes ran over the stacks of paperwork. I sighed, heavily and pulled his hand away from my cheek, placing it at his side, gently.

“Try to rest tonight, Deryk. You look tired,” I commented, brushing a strand of hair from his eyes. A breath-taking smile spread across his lips, but it never reached his eyes. I knew he was trying to convince me he was okay, but I could see past that.

“I am, but I have to finish reviewing the mountain of documents on my desk. Do not worry about me, Karissa. I’ll be fine. You get some rest and wish Alexis a good night for me,” he said, and I nodded. He cupped my face in his hands and gently, he placed a kiss on my forehead. “Good night.”

Staring into his gentle eyes, I smiled and whispered, “Good night.” He removed his hands from my face and I turned from him, stepping out of his office. I closed the door behind me and a soft sigh escaped my lips, as I stood with my back facing the door for a moment.

Change, I thought. The word tasted distant on my tongue and I knew change wouldn’t come immediately like I wished it would. We would still have to endure the long nights, waiting for Deryk to finally make an appearance.



Rubbing the ache pounding on either side of my temples, I turned my attention to the clock sitting on my desk, neatly organized with folders and stacks of papers. It was close to seven in the evening and unfortunately, there was still an hour left until the limousine came to retrieve Deryk and me from the office. I sighed, quietly and leaned away from my desk, glancing in the direction of Deryk’s office. His door was closed, as usual and I had a feeling Deryk was still looking over the stack of paperwork I had taken to him earlier.

I turned away from my computer and pushed myself up from my chair, heading towards Deryk’s office. Once I reached his office, I knocked, gently on his door and waited, hoping Deryk wasn’t too busy with work. I hear his voice from inside, and pushing the door opened, I stepped inside his office and turned to smile at Deryk sitting at his desk. He didn’t glance up from his paperwork to see who it was and he continued to stare, intently at the documents in front of him. “Can I help you?” Deryk demanded, lifting his eyes from his desk. He wasn’t surprised to see me, but his hard expression softened and a smile spread across his lips. “Oh, Karissa, it’s only you. Is there anything wrong?” he asked, gently.

I shook my head and moved towards him, taking a seat on one of the armchairs located in front of his desk. I crossed my leg over the other and smiled, reaching across my lap to grab a folder I had given him earlier. “No, there’s nothing to worry about. I just wanted to bug you,” I answered.

Deryk chuckled, as he leaned back in his leather chair and placed his pen down on his desk. “You aren’t a bother, Karissa,” he stated.

I rolled my eyes, trying to act like his comment didn’t phase me, but I felt the blush creep across my cheeks and I hoped he hadn’t seen it. “You’re coming home early tonight, right?” I asked, and I watched Deryk sigh, loudly. His eyes scanned his messy desk, covered with folders and documents I’m sure he still had to look over.

“I don’t think so,” Deryk answered.

“I understand. I’ll just have to tell the driver to pick up the boys from the mall then,” I said.

“Tell the boys I’m sorry I wasn’t able to pick them up myself. I will be home tonight, though and if you’re still up by the time I come home, I can make you a midnight snack,” Deryk stated. I watched Deryk grin, boyishly and I couldn’t help laughing.

“A large pizza sounds good,” I commented and Deryk laughed, half-heartedly, running his fingers through his hair.

“Will you wait up for me, then?” Deryk asked.

“Yeah,” I replied. “Just don’t keep me waiting too long.”

“I promise,” Deryk said, gently and I smiled.

“Good,” I answered. “I’ll leave you to your work. I think I’m going to head home soon. Do you need anything else?”

“No, no. You can head home. I have all the documents I need for the night. Thank you, Karissa,” Deryk said.

“You’re welcome. See you later, Deryk,” I pushed myself up from the armchair and turned on my heel, walking out of Deryk’s large office. I closed the door behind me and headed towards my desk, retrieving all my belongings. Once I was packed and ready to leave, I dialed the driver’s number and walked towards the elevator. I pressed the down buttons and waited for the elevator doors to slide opened.

As I stepped inside the elevator, I couldn’t help feeling excited for tonight. I knew I shouldn’t have been getting my hopes up because Deryk had a large amount of work to finish, but I couldn’t help, but look forward to it. A smile stretched across my cheeks and happily, I watched the elevator doors slide close.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be a silent reader.

Karissa's work outfit: X