Remember this Face, Baby.

three

ONE WEEK LATER

I deleted most of my emails from Facebook and Hotmail, as I sat at my computer desk, completely bored out of my mind. I had stayed home for a whole week, with nothing to do, besides take care of Alexis, but even that was taken away from me. My mom thought it'd be better if I, basically, laid off of doing anything. She only asked me to do certain things, which were always small like passing her the remote or watching Alexis while she played in her play pen. Besides that, I just sat around on the computer or on the couch, watching TV and envying my daughter as she carelessly played.

I didn't think my mother understand that I was fine, now. My injuries were much better and I didn't ache as much as I had only days ago. I had already stopped using the painkillers, because the pain was tolerable. My body was a little sore, as if I had just worked out for an hour or so, but besides that, I was fine. I wanted to go back to work and help my mom out a little, or go back to school. I'm sure I had much to catch up on, especially in my English class.

I sighed, heavily and rubbed my temples, watching my mom vacuum the living room. Alexis sat in the middle of her pen, watching her grandmother vacuum, intently. She held onto her stuffed bear, another stuffed animal she had and followed the vacuum from left to right. I shook my head at the curious baby and stood up, making my way towards the kitchen. I rummaged through the fridge, looking for something to eat until I found leftover pizza and hungrily, pulled it out and munched on it.

"Karissa, where are you?" I rolled my eyes, as I heard my mother making her way into the kitchen. She placed her hand on her hip and frowned at the pizza hanging out my mouth. "At least warm it up," she stated, returning back to her cleaning.

"Mom, can I go out?" I asked, walking into the living room and flopping down on the couch. I watched her tense and shut off the vacuum, turning to stare at me as if I just went crazy.

"Sorry, come again," she said, looking down at me with narrowed eyes.

"Well," I paused, swallowing the chewed up pizza in my mouth, "I've been stuck in this house for a week. I feel quarantined and trapped. I just want to take a walk. School's still on and no one will see me. Please, let me go to the store. I'll take Alexis, too, since I haven't taken out for her daily walks," I stated.

"Ann, you still aren't well. You're at home for a reason, not because you want to be," my mother mumbled.

"Mom, please. I'm not asking you for money to buy drugs or anything of that sort. Just a walk with my daughter. We have no eggs, bread or milk, I'll get it," I muttered, staring at my mother's concerned face.

I watched her run her fingers through her hair, before rolling her eyes and nodding, reluctantly. I smiled, happily and shoved the rest of the pizza in my mouth. I reached into Alexis' play pen and picked her up, setting her on my hip and making my way upstairs to change out of my sweats. I kissed Lexi's chubby cheek and watched her giggle gently, gripping a couple of strands of my hair and yanking on it.

"Lexi, no. That's bad," I said, sternly, pulling my hair away from her reach and shaking my head at her.

I walked into my room and set her on my bed, propping pillows all around the edges. She sat, comfortably between to large pillows, watching my walk around my room picking up clothes from the floor and tossing them on. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and applied a bit of my eyeliner. I smiled at myself through the mirror and tossed my hair over my shoulder. I looked over my shoulder at my daughter smiling at me and smiled back. I made my way towards Alexis and picked her up, kissing her cheek again and fixing her Dora the Explorer shirt.

My mom had already taken out the stroller and set it by the door, with Lexi's stuffed animal and a bag of her stuff in the pouch under the stroller. I walked towards it and placed Lexi inside, buckling her inside and letting her hold her dog. My mom came into the greeting and handed me a twenty dollar bill. I gave her a kiss on the cheek and stepped onto the porch.

The day was beautiful, despite the cold breeze. My mom handed me a blanket to put over Lexi, then helped me carry her stroller down the stairs and onto the pavement. Lexi lit up, as she looked around, holding her hands together with a smile on her small lips. She giggled when my mother kissed her chubby cheek, tucking the blanket around her and handing Lexi her toy. I pulled my sweater tighter around my body and smiled towards my mother, looking grim.

"I'll be fine, mom," I stated.

She nodded and rolled her eyes. "You better be fine when you get back home. I swear, something happens and I'm definitely going to do something about it. I'll chase after those kids myself," my mom claimed, looking like a stern mother.

"Okay, mom. I have a cell, I'll call you. If Kayla calls, tell her to meet me at the park," I said.

"The park? I thought you were just going to the store?" She asked, quickly.

"Mom, please. Give me a break, I need this. The day is really nice and Lexi hasn't gone to the park in weeks. I'll call you, mom, I promise," I said, pleadingly. She dismissed the matter with a wave of her hand and retreated back into the house. I bit my bottom lip and turned to the stroller, where my daughter waited, impatiently.

The streets were empty of teenagers and only adults walked the streets, with their pets or small children. I felt at peace, walking down the familiar streets without fearing a student from my school would suddenly appear and start beating the crap out of me. I didn't want my daughter to witness her mother getting brutally hurt, because I knew in the future, when she was able to speak, she'd ask me about that one afternoon she seen me get hurt.

I pushed all the terrible thoughts to the back of my mind and smiled when I seen the small convenience store come into view. I wrapped my hand around the door handle and pulled it opened, pushing Lexi's stroller inside. The familiar scent of roses hit me like a splash of cold water. I smiled at the familiar scent and looked around the store, seeing roses all over. The large roses came in all sorts of colours; whites, reds, blues, pinks and yellows. It was a beautiful mix and it reminded me of when I was younger, I'd come to the store just to smell each one.

"Karissa Ann? Is that you, darling?" a soft, elderly voice floated around the store. I glanced over towards the small woman standing behind the counter, smiling at me with a warm smile and the bluest of eyes.

"Hello, Mrs. Leons, how are you?" I asked, gently, pushing the stroller towards the counter. I watched her eyes light up at the sight of Alexis and she walked around the counter, bending down and taking a hold of the youngster's hand. Alexis giggled, giddily and reached out so she could hold her.

"Oh, darling. I'm swell. Whose this little angel sent for the Heaven's above?" Mrs. Leons asked, glancing up to stare at me.

"This is Alexis, my daughter. Alexis, say hello to Mrs. Leons," I stated. The old woman looked surprised for a few minutes, staring at me in disbelief. I blushed, lightly as she stared at me, taking Alexis in her old arms. Alexis wrapped her arm around her neck and laid her head against her shoulder, staring at me with her big blue eyes.

"Your daughter? How, darling? When did this happen?" She asked, in a motherly voice I recognized all too well. Mrs. Leons had always been like a second mother to me, always given me advise about the few problems I had back when I was younger. She'd let me stay in her store to keep her company for hours and she'd always buy me icecream, before walking me home. Mrs. Leons was another person who had always been in my life and loved me for me. I didn't understand why I hadn't visited this store in such a long time, especially to show her Alexis.

"It's almost been about two years since I had her. It was an accidental pregnancy," I muttered.

"Oh, my dear. How's it been on you? Why didn't you come to me and I would have helped you and your mother? You know I love you two and I would do anything in the world to make you guys happy. Does this child have a father, at least?" Mrs. Leons asked, kissing my daughter's small hand and then placing a kiss on her forehead.

"My mom and me have been okay. Just getting through," I paused to smile and glance at my daughter, "Alexis has a father, but he isn't taking responsibility for her. He doesn't want anything to do with her and it's unfair, because he knows she's his and he chooses not to believe it. He thinks I slept around, when he was the one who had betrayed me," I added, bitterly.

"That's terrible, sweetheart. So, you and your mother have only been raising this child?" She asked, worriedly.

I nodded, solemnly. "Yes and she only needs us. She doesn't need to know her father abandoned her because of false accusations. It's just going to be hard when she's older and she sees all her friends have male role models in their lifes and she doesn't. She's going to ask me where her father is and I won't know how to respond," I replied, running my fingers through my daughter's hair.

"I've truly missed you, Karissa. It's been so lonely without your company. My granddaughter doesn't even come by anymore. She moved to Los Angeles with her parents only two months ago," she claimed, smiling up at Alexis. Mrs. Leons walked around the counter and placed Alexis down on the counter, handing her a fluffy pen. Fascinated with her new pen, Alexis took it gladly and started smacking it against the counter, laughing cutely.

"Well, here I am. It's just been so busy with work, school and taking care of Alexis. I don't have time for me, really," I chuckled, lightly pushing the stroller away from the door and against the side of the counter.

"Don't wear yourself out, either, hun. You're just a young girl, you can't take on the world by yourself. Remember that," she answered.

"Yes, I know. I'll be back, I have to go get some eggs," the old woman waved me off and continued playing with my daughter sitting on the counter, playing with her new toy. I smiled at Alexis and walked towards the back, where the eggs and milk were located. I pulled the fridge door opened and grabbed a carton of milk and a box of eggs.

My attention turned to the ding of the store bell and the small giggle I recognized as my daughter's. I looked over my shoulder and nearly dropped the groceries I was holding close to my chest. I watched the beautiful creature smile at Mrs. Leons, before moving into one of the aisles to look for whatever. I stared at the being from afar, with surprise and much curiosity.

How could someone be so beautiful?

The being looked to be my age, maybe older by just a year. There was nothing else I could say besides that he was beautiful. His skin seemed to shine as the sun peeked through the many windows of the store and illuminate his sky blue eyes. I wanted to reach out and run my fingers along his skin, his lips. His nose was straight and pointed, and his face was framed by high cheekbones and raven black hair, that fell over his eyes in a sexy way. Everything about him seemed to scream strong and confident.

As though he had suddenly sensed someone watching, he lifted his eyes up and stared directly where I was standing. My eyes widened with a shock and I felt my feet carrying me to the front. I placed the food on the counter, trying to avoid the beautiful stranger walking to the front. Mrs. Leons looked at me, then looked over my shoulder, sending the boy a soft smile and checking my stuff. Alexis stared at the boy behind me, tilting her head to the side with a small smile on her lips.

"Is she yours?" My heart sped as his voice floated around me. It sounded strong and confident, just as he showcased, but it also sounded seductive and low.

"Oh, heaven's no, child! Alexis is this young lady's daughter," Mrs. Leons stated, putting the eggs and bread into a bag. I looked over my shoulder and sent him a shy smile, indicating I was the young lady Mrs. Leons' was referring, too.

I watched him lick his lips and his lips stretch into a cocky smile, I liked too much for my own liking. "She's a cutie," he said, in a soft voice.

"You hear that, Lexi. He called you a cutie. Aren't you going to say thank you," I said, looking back at my daughter who was staring at the boy with curiosity. I picked her up from the counter and held her against me, letting her have a close view of the gorgeous teenager. I watched her reach out, wanting him to touch him and struggle slightly against me. I thought he would have backed away and avoided all contact with the baby, but instead, he let her wrap her small hand around his finger and squeeze. He half-smiled and rubbed the top of her hand with his thumb. Alexis giggled and let go of his hand, ducking her face into the hollow of my neck.

"She's shy, too," he said.

"Alexis is a social bug. She talks to everyone, but she must have taken a liking to you. This is the first time she's ever done that," I muttered, handing Mrs. Leons' my twenty bucks.

"There's a first for everything," he paused, looking down at his shoes. He gazed back at me from under his eyelashes, sending me another cocky smile, "My name's Deryk," he added.

"Karissa, nice to meet you," I said, politely.

"Nice to meet you, too," he replied.

"Not trying to sound nosy, but are you from around here? I haven't seen you before," I claimed, grabbing the white plastic bag with all my groceries and placing them in the stroller, along with Alexis.

"No, you wouldn't have. I'm new in town," he answered, tilting his head to the side, slightly, allowing some of his bangs to fall in his eyes.

"Oh, now I understand. Well, hopefully you like this town. Bye Mrs. Leons, and nice meeting you, Deryk," I said, gently. I pushed the stroller towards the door and stepped out, looking over my shoulder to wave my good-byes to my friend and the beautiful stranger.

"Bye, sweetheart. Come around again, it's good seeing you," she called.

"But of course," I smiled. I switched my eyes onto Deryk, who was handing Mrs. Leons his money. He turned to look at me and smiled, "See you around."

I closed the door behind me and pushed Alexis' stroller, feeling lighter than I had in a long time. I couldn't stop smiling, as we made our way towards the park. I couldn't get Deryk out of my mind for some unknown reason, though I tried and tried. There was something very mysterious about him and well, for the fact that he was gorgeous. I smiled, shaking my head, gently as I thought how stupid I was acting. He was just a really cute guy and it wasn't like I'd see him again. I lived in a large city and he could live anywhere, he just chose to come to this convenient store to get something.

I pushed Deryk to the back of my mind, pushing the stroller onto the grass moving it towards the small playground. As soon as I reached the bench, I sat down and unbuckled Alexis. I placed her down on the grass and watched her crawl towards the sand, just a few feet away from me. I restrained myself from getting up and fixing her sweater, something I did constantly. I chuckled as she finally made it to the sandbox, dragging her stuffed animal right behind her and getting grass spots and other all over it. She flopped down on a sand pile and started slapping her hand against it, while kicking her feet.

I stared at the sky, thinking about nothing in particular, besides what my mom was making for supper. I chewed on my bottom lip, watching the clouds move slowly across the blue sky, as the sun shined above me. The day couldn't have been any better, until I heard his voice. The only voice that would always and forever haunt my dreams and send angry shivers down my spine. The voice that belonged to my daughter's father.

"Karissa."

"DJ."