Remember this Face, Baby.

thirty-one

Stepping into my dress must have been one of the most terrifying things I had ever done in my life—at least, it was going to be ranked into my top ten list of ‘most terrifying experiences’. Margaret had been kind enough to help me, even after how much I had been whining and complaining about the possibilities of accidentally ripping the dress when I went to step into it. After a few failed attempts and me practically hyperventilating around my room in my underwear, I was finally able to put my dress on.

When I stepped in front of the mirror to inspect my appearance, I thought someone else was staring back at me. My eyes widened and I clasped my hand over my mouth, completely taken back by my reflection. Tears rimmed around the corner of my eyes, daringly close to ruining my perfectly powdered cheeks. As quickly as I could, I blinked back the tears and I dropped my hand from my red lips. I stared back at my reflection and a smile rose across my cheeks. I looked beautiful.

“Turn around, Karissa. Let me get a good look at you,” Margaret said eagerly from behind me. I took in a large gulp of air and turned around, coming face-to-face with an anxious-looking Margaret. I kept my hands stiff at my sides, watching Margaret with a nervous expression.

Margaret clasped her hands against her chest and she smiled, staring at me with teary eyes. “You look beautiful, Karissa,” she said gently. I smiled and gave her a hug.

“Thank you,” I replied, feeling my cheeks get hot. “What time is it?” I glanced over at my nightstand, squinting my eyes as I tried reading the alarm clock numbers from my spot in front of the mirror.

“It’s almost seven thirty, darling. The Young Sir is downstairs waiting for you to head to the charity ball,” Margaret stated, and I nodded suddenly feeling extremely anxious and nervous. Deryk was waiting downstairs for me.

What would Deryk think of my dress? Would he think I looked beautiful? I sighed heavily as I walked down the dimly-lit hallway towards the staircase, letting thoughts of Deryk consume my mind. I didn’t want to think about Deryk, but I was nervous about Deryk seeing me. I was, after all, his date—or was I simply a friend accompanying him to this ball? Whatever it was, I needed to look extravagant, and hopefully, after the four and a half hours of hair and makeup I had to endure, I looked just that—extravagant.

Margaret was the first to reach the staircase and I saw her smile when she saw someone, I assumed, was waiting at the bottom. I heard her greet someone and I felt my stomach do a flip-flop when I heard the familiar voice greet her back. I inhaled a deep breath of air and then slowly let it out, feeling my heart beating quickly against my chest. I began walking towards the staircase and I thought, please don’t faint, Karissa.

I was able to see the people, who were waiting for me, from the top of the staircase. There was Deryk, his two brothers, Margaret and Alexis. Alexis was on the floor playing with Burger, who was surprisingly making an effort, even though he was lying on his side. Deryk’s brothers were talking to Deryk about the football game the boys had been screaming about earlier in the entertainment room. I watched Deryk high-five Tyson in the air as Tyson laughed at an angry Jake, before he punched his arm.

I cleared my throat and I watched all eyes turn to me standing at the top of the stairs. I blushed a deep red and slowly, I began descending down the stairs with my hand holding the railing. Don’t trip, don’t trip, I thought repeatedly, as I stepped down each stair. I was mid-way down the stairs when I glanced up and saw Deryk standing at the bottom of the staircase, looking as though he had seen a ghost. My heart nearly stopped.

Deryk’s eyes were wide with awe and his lips were slightly parted. His eyes didn’t leave mine as I descended down the stairs and reached the last stair. For a few seconds, he stared at me without making a single movement. Tyson nudged Deryk’s side and I watched Deryk snap out of his trance-like state, but his face still held that awed expression. His expression changed, slightly when he saw me watching him and he smiled, which helped still my jumping nerves. He took a few steps forward until he was standing in front of me and he glanced up, staring deep into my eyes. Time seemed to stop and disappear around us, as I stared back into his blue eyes. In that moment as I stared back into his eyes, I wished I could read minds so I could know what he was thinking this very moment.

Deryk held his hand out in front of him and I smiled, placing my hand on top of his. Gently, he took hold of my hand and he brought it up to his lips, placing a kiss on my knuckles. It amazed me how an action as innocent as a simple kiss on the knuckles, was able to make shivers rush up and down my body and make my heart flutter. I felt like I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. I stared at him and all I could see was perfection.

It seemed like an eternity had passed when, finally, Deryk broke the blissful silence. Deryk smiled as he held my hand in his. As I continued looking into his eyes, I could still see awe in them and it made me blush. Softly, Deryk said, “You look beautiful.”

I smiled, tearing my eyes away from his to look down at the floor as I blushed again. “Thank you,” I said shyly, refusing to look up.

“We should leave soon,” Deryk said softly, as he helped me step down onto the landing. I hooked my arm with his as we walked towards the rest of the people waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

Alexis was on her feet now, excitedly waiting for me. I leaned down to her level and smiled, letting her give me hug I gladly returned. I kissed her cheek and pulled away enough to look at her face. She had a big smile on her face and she was looking at me with a great admiration that made my heart melt. I brushed a few curls out of her face and I sighed, wishing I could bring her with us, too.

“You look like a princess, Momma!” Alexis exclaimed, placing her hands on my shoulders as her eyes roamed my face.

I laughed and again, I pulled her into me, wrapping my arms around her small form. “Thank you, baby,” I said against her ear. “I love you.”

I pulled away from her and kissed her forehead, before returning to Deryk’s side. Deryk glanced at his watch and he glanced at me, taking my hand in his. I felt him lace his fingers with mine and I stopped breathing for a second, fighting the urge to look down at our hands. Deryk pulled me towards the front doors, glancing back at Margaret, Alexis and the boys.

“I’m going to be the envy of all the men tonight,” Deryk chuckled, and Tyson and Jake laughed, nodding their heads in agreement. I shook in my head in disapproval, as I smacked Deryk gently on the arm. He laughed as he opened the front doors and stepped out. Red-faced, I glanced back and waved at the boys, Margaret and Alexis, saying my good-byes.

“Please, Margaret, have Alexis in bed by nine,” I said, and Margaret nodded, waving me off with her hands. “I’m sorry, I know you know. Have a good night, guys! We’ll be back soon!”

“Enjoy yourselves, loves! Be safe!” Margaret said, as she, Alexis and the boys walked towards the front doors. We slid into the black limo waiting outside for us and after one final farewell, the chauffeur closed the door behind us. I sighed, heavily and turned to stare straight ahead of me, feeling a flood of emotions rush into my body. I was feeling nervous, anxious and excited all at once. I didn’t know what to expect, and that was the mystery that was keeping me on the edge of my seat. I was ready for tonight.

As though Deryk sensed my sudden emotions, he turned to me just as the limo began moving. He smirked, knowingly at me and he grabbed my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “We are going to have a great time tonight, Karissa. I promise,” Deryk said.

I turned my attention to him and I nearly melted. I sighed, loudly and smiled, nodding my head. “I know we are. I’m just really excited,” I replied.

“Just take a few deep breaths and try to relax,” Deryk said, gently and again, I nodded my head and turned my attention to the window, doing as he said.

I saw the mansion gates open and the limo turned, exiting the mansion grounds. I sucked in a deep breath of air and glanced up at the sky from the window. I watched a couple of houses pass by and I thought, pathetically, I am definitely going to need a glass of champagne.



The limo came to a slow halt in front of a large building. Giant searchlights illuminated the entire building, displaying its elegant architecture and the decades of hard work. A white carpet—beginning from the entrance at the top of the stairs to the curb, where limos were continuously pulling up—was placed on the ground for arriving guests to walk on. From inside the limo, I could see a few people walking down the white carpet, dressed in elegant attire. It seemed like they had walked hundreds of carpets, and had been guests to hundreds of events, like the one they were attending today. I, on the other hand, felt like I would stick out like a sore thumb.

Deryk turned his attention to me and he smiled, pleasantly, placing a hand on my knee. I tried to return his smile, but it came out more like a frown and I glanced past him, looking at all the beautiful women. I was extremely nervous, more now than before. I knew, even without looking at my hands, that they were shaking because the rest of my body was. I didn’t want to make a fool of myself.

The limo door opened, suddenly illuminating the darkened inside with light. “It’s time,” Deryk mumbled, giving my knee an affectionate squeeze, before he stepped out of the limo. I followed suit, sliding across the leather seat like Deryk had done previously. I was hesitant when I reached the end of the seat. Deryk was holding his hand out, waiting for me to grab it, but I quickly stiffened with nerves. When I didn’t grab Deryk’s hand, he turned around and glanced down at me, seeing me still sitting in the limo with eyes wide. He chuckled, quietly and he bent down to my level, staring into my eyes.

“Karissa, sweetheart, listen to me. You have nothing to be afraid or nervous of. Please, don’t let these people intimidate or scare you. They have nothing that should scare you,” Deryk said, taking a hold of my hand.

I chuckled, squeezing Deryk’s hand. “They have wealth,” I stated.

“They do have wealth and yes, they do have power because of their wealth. Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter how much wealth they have because having all the money in the world doesn’t equal to being happy,” Deryk said firmly. His expression softened, and he leaned up, giving my hand a gentle tug. “Now, come on. Let’s go have some fun.” I smiled, nodding my head as I began feeling my nerves begin easing and my body loosening up.

I was feeling slightly more confident after hearing what Deryk had to say. I stepped out of the limo, taking the arm he had offered me and I placed my hand in the crook of his arm, smiling up at him. Deryk returned the smile and I felt it warm my insides and my stomach fluttered. He placed his hand on top of mine sitting comfortably in the crook of his arm and he leaned towards me, moving his face towards the side of my face. My face flushed at his sudden closeness.

“Ready?” Deryk whispered and his warm breath hit the side of my neck, sending shivers up and down my spine.

“I am,” I replied, trying to act as though the simple gesture hadn’t bothered me in the slightest. Deryk smiled and he began leading me down the white carpet, completely ignoring the flashes of bright light flashing in our direction. I had finally noticed the small groups of paparazzi that had gathered on each side of the white carpet, trying to snap photos of everyone who arrived. Unfortunately for them, the security guards were doing much better at their jobs than the paparazzi were because they kept them a safe distance from the people arriving.

When we reached the entrance of the building, two bodyguards opened the doors for us and we were greeted by a tall woman. Her beautiful blonde hair was wrapped in a tight bun on top of her head and she was dressed in a simple black dress that flowed down to her knees. She smiled the moment she saw us and she ushered us into the building.

“Good evening,” the woman said kindly. “Could I please get your names?”

“Deryk Madison,” Deryk replied, stone-faced. He reached into the inside of his jacket and pulled out two invitations before handing them to the woman. She looked them over and she smiled, walking towards two white doors. She pulled them opened and stepped aside.

“I hope you enjoy your night,” she said, tucking the clipboard under her arm. I smiled at her as Deryk and I stepped into the large ballroom.

I glanced around the ballroom in complete awe—it was breathtaking. The entire room was dressed in colours of silver, black and white. Even the walls had been splashed with a little bit of silver, which seemed to give them that magical touch that brought the ballroom to life. A large silver chandelier hung from the ceiling right above the dance floor. I couldn’t believe how extraordinary it all looked.

“Thank you,” Deryk said to the woman. He turned his attention towards me and he glanced down, giving me a beautiful smile. “Do you want to go look for our table?” Eagerly, I nodded my head and allowed him to guide me into the ballroom, my eyes wide with amazement.

Much to my dismay, we found our table much quicker than I had anticipated. I was a little relieved when I saw there was no one else at the table, but us. Deryk pulled a chair out for me and he waited patiently as I took a seat. I smiled up at him as he pushed my chair in and then, he took a seat himself on a chair beside me. He sighed loudly and glanced around the ballroom, before his gaze fell back on me and he smirked.

“Are you still nervous?” Deryk asked, inching his chair closer to me.

I chuckled, shaking my head as I stared back at him. “I’m not as nervous as I was before. I think I’m more amazed to see how beautiful it looks in here,” I answered honestly.

Deryk smiled. “Good. Do you want me to get you anything to drink?” Deryk asked.

“Yes, please,” I said quickly. Deryk laughed half-heartedly, but he nodded his head and got up, walking towards the bar to get our refreshments.

I sighed quietly as I glanced around the ballroom, trying to catch a face I may have recognized from working with Deryk. When I didn’t see anyone I knew, I glanced over in the direction of the bar seeing Deryk surrounded by a group of older-looking men. When he caught me looking in his direction, he made a face and then quickly returned to the conversation going on between the older men and himself. I chuckled and glanced away from the small group, curiously glancing around the growing crowd.

As I continued glancing around the crowd, I suddenly locked eye contact with a pair of eyes as silver as the moon. My heart skipped a beat at the suddenness of the action, and quickly, I tried focusing on the face that belonged to those enticing silver eyes. Their blurred face began coming into focus and I was finally able to see who those silver eyes belonged to. He was quite handsome with beautiful olive skin and platinum blonde hair to accompany those silver eyes. He was standing with a group of older men a few tables away from my own. When the stranger caught me looking in his direction he smirked, and then bowed his head raising his champagne glass at me. I smiled awkwardly, hoping he couldn’t see my red cheeks from where he was standing. Then, he winked and as quickly as I could, I turned my gaze away and searched for Deryk.

Deryk smiled when he saw me looking in his direction and he quickened his pace, holding two glasses of champagne in each hand. When he reached the table, he set my glass down in front of me and gracefully sat down, taking a small drink from his champagne. “I apologize for my slight delay,” Deryk said, sending me an apologetic glance.

“Don’t worry about it, Deryk,” I said, grabbing my champagne from the table. I smirked playfully and placed a hand on his forearm, saying teasingly, “Actually, it looked like you were really enjoying yourself.”

Deryk chuckled, rolling his crystal blue eyes at me. “Yes, a spectacular time,” he replied sarcastically. “I know it is rude, but I began blanking out of the conversation the moment they began speaking about the stock market.”

“I think I would have done the same thing,” I said truthfully, taking my hand off of his thick forearm.

I took a moment to glance over where the silver-eyed stranger had been standing and thankfully, he had disappeared from sight. I sighed a breath of relief and turned back to see Deryk staring at me. I tried to smile, hoping he would dismiss the matter but he arched an eyebrow and sat upright, glancing over in the direction I had been looking in.

“Is something wrong, Karissa?” Deryk asked, watching me with a worried expression.

I smiled and shook my head, reaching across the small space between us to grab his hand. “No, everything is fine. I just thought I saw someone I knew from the office,” I answered, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

I knew the answer I had given him hadn’t convinced him, but fortunately he didn’t push the subject any further. I edged my chair closer to his and laced my fingers with his, feeling his body loosen just slightly. I took a sip from the glass of champagne I had been holding, allowing the cool liquid to soothe my dry throat. Deryk remained silent, glancing around the growing crowd on the dance floor. Every once in a while I would catch Deryk glancing in the direction I had spotted the silver-eyed stranger, and then glance away with a stone-hard expression.

I squeezed his hand, affectionately and Deryk turned his attention to me. I smiled saying, “Thank you for letting me accompany you tonight.”

Deryk’s face immediately softened. He returned my smile, even though his put mine to shame. “No, Karissa. Thank you for accompanying me,” Deryk replied gently. I knew I was blushing even before I began feeling my face get hot, by Deryk’s satisfied smirk. I rolled my eyes and glanced away, hearing him chuckle. He drove me crazy, and surprisingly, it didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would.



I took a drink from my second glass of champagne as I placed my fork down. Deryk had not informed me Mr. Silverstones would be serving his guests a three dish dinner during his charity ball—meaning, I would have to suck in my bloated stomach for the rest of the night. A waitress stopped by our table just as I was finishing my champagne to collect the dirty plates from our table. I handed her my empty glass and politely asked for another one. She gave me a quick nod and retreated towards the back, where the kitchen doors were located, carrying a large gray bin full of dishes.

I glanced around the beautifully decorated ballroom, allowing a smile to stretch across my red lips. I couldn’t help but think that, in the first time in a very long time, I actually felt happy and worriless. It felt rather strange thinking so carelessly because I was always worrying about the safety of my family. I didn’t feel like I had to hide back in the crowd now. I felt free to do whatever I wanted without feeling like I was being discriminated or judged for my actions. I could sigh a breath of relief and not feel like such a simple action, would bother someone to the point of them wanting to cause me physical pain.

My eyes landed on Deryk’s expressionless face and I knew that one of the reasons why I felt so happy now was because of him. I was more than grateful for having such an incredible man and more importantly, such an incredible friend put in my life. I always wondered how I would ever be able to repay this wonderful man for giving me back my life and my freedom. He was a blessing put in my life and it would be a shame on my part, if I didn't cherish it and show my gratitude for all the things he had done for my daughter and me.

As though Deryk sensed me watching him, he turned his attention towards me and smiled, completely oblivious to my previous thoughts. I couldn't help but smile back and stare at him in great admiration for a few more seconds. I watched his cheeks redden and he placed his hand over my own, giving it a gentle squeeze. “What?” Deryk asked. His hand moved up to his face and I chuckled, realizing he must have thought I was staring at him because he had food on his face.

“You don’t have anything on your face,” I said gently and he sighed, loudly, placing his hand back onto the table.

“Then why were you staring at me?” Deryk asked, shuffling in his seat uncomfortably. Again, I chuckled and then, I turned my body in my chair in his direction. My knees touched the sides of his muscular thigh and Deryk, instinctively, placed his hand on top of my right knee as though that’s where it belonged.

“I’m just having a good time,” I answered honestly, staring at him with a smile.

“Are you intoxicated?” Deryk demanded with a playful grin. I couldn't help, but laugh and I shook my head, making his grin widen. I slapped his arm playfully and answered, “No, I feel fine!”

“I highly doubt that, love. You drank your first glass of champagne I got you at the beginning of the night, like a shot glass. Then, you flew through the second one like the devil was chasing after you. I don’t think I should permit you to continue drinking,” Deryk said teasingly, giving my knee a gentle squeeze.

“You can’t do that, Deryk. We’re here to have a good time,” I stated and Deryk rolled his eyes, even though his smile never faltered. I added, “I promise I won’t get drunk. I won’t fly—,” I air-quoted while saying the word fly, making Deryk laugh, “—through the third one. I promise to take it slow.”

Deryk arched an eyebrow at me and slightly turned his body towards me, holding out his pinky finger in between us. “Do you pinky promise?” Deryk asked. Seeing Deryk holding out his pinky finger and asking me to make a pinky promise made me smile and I began feeling like butterflies were fluttering around in my stomach.

I held out my pinky finger in the air and Deryk met my hand halfway, hooking his pinky with mine. I tightened my grip and in unison, Deryk and I both said, “Pinky promise.” He smiled and unhooked his pinky from mine, placing his hand back on my knee. I sighed gently and I placed my hand over his, glancing around the ballroom as people began getting up from their tables.

A few waiters had filed out of the kitchen and they broke into two separate lines as they came to the dance floor. I watched while each line of waiters began undressing the tables on the opposite sides of the white open floor and I realized then they must have been clearing the tables to open up the dance floor. The tables were quickly disassembled and moved out of the dining room, while a few stayed back to sweep away any food that may have been dropped on the floor.

As on cue, Thomas gracefully walked onto the stage and grabbed the mic, tapping it a couple of times to catch the attention of his loud-chattering guests. He smiled when all eyes were on him and he cleared his throat before he began speaking. “Good evening, everybody! I hope everyone enjoyed the delicious meal that was kindly prepared for us by my long-time friend, Frances Cortes! Everyone, please give him a big round of applause!” Thomas said, raising the glass of champagne to a tall man in a chef’s hat standing near the kitchen’s swinging double doors. A chorus of applause echoed loudly throughout the entire ballroom, including Deryk and myself. Frances’ face was masked by an expression of great appreciation and in return, he bowed his head in a sign of gratitude.

Once the applause had died down, Thomas continued, “I want to thank all my guests for accompanying me tonight to celebrate a large milestone in the growing of Silver Stones Inc. I was able to work with an incredible individual, who not only proved me to that age is not a factor in becoming a successful Head CEO, but who has also earned my great admiration because of how incredibly young he has. He has been able to help build his father’s company from the ground up and help it strive beyond my imagination. I want to have Deryk Madison, the youngest Head CEO in our large field and my new partner, to please stand. Give him a round of applause.” Deryk turned to me with an expression of utter astonishment. Thomas wore a large smile on his face and he urged Deryk, with his unoccupied hand, to stand up. All of the guests were clapping and I urgently pushed Deryk, watching him snap out of his surprise.

“Stand up!” I urged, and Deryk, looking like a bright red tomato, stood up and smiled awkwardly, nodding his head in respect as he glanced around the large ballroom. He mouthed a ‘thank you’ to Thomas standing on stage and he returned the smile.

“Thanks to this young man for making this merging such a successful milestone for us and for making the journey as smooth and stress-free as he could. I have never worked with a more professional and dedicated man as I have with Deryk. I know our journey together will not only be a successful one, but also an educational one especially for myself. To our journey together,” Thomas said, raising a glass of champagne he had gotten from a waitress into the air. Deryk grabbed his glass and also raised it, placing a hand on his chest as he quickly bowed his head in appreciation. “Now, to the rest of my guests, I hope you enjoy the rest of your night. The dance floor will be open momentarily once the band is ready to begin playing. I hope to see everyone enjoying themselves on the dance floor! Thank you again for accompanying and have a good night!” Thomas smiled at everyone and handed the mic back to one of musicians. He walked off the stage and joined his wife at the table they had been sitting at earlier.

Turning to Deryk, I practically threw myself into his arms and wrapped my arms around his neck. Deryk laughed and hugged me back, pulling me in closer. “I am so extremely proud of you, Deryk,” I said against his ear. We pulled away, but I kept my hands on his shoulders. He laughed again as a line of red rushed across his cheeks.

“Thank you. I didn’t think he would say anything,” Deryk stated and he sighed, loudly.

I dropped my hands from his shoulders and smiled. “He had to say something! You've done so much and worked so hard to make sure the merge went well,” I said, and he returned my smile. I didn’t think Deryk thought he deserved Thomas’ acknowledgement and gratitude. In all honesty, I thought Deryk deserved more than he was given credit for because he worked so hard to please others. Thomas’ hadn’t been lying when he had said Deryk helped build his father’s company from the ground up. When Deryk’s father had passed down his company, it had only been open for a few months. Things had been running smoothly, thankfully but there were still some things that needed to be fixed. Deryk worked through all the knots and kinks of the company, and then it was completely turned around, and the company was striving and flourishing. But I think Deryk had simply done it because it was what he was told he had to do. It was mandatory.

I knew the only person Deryk wanted to hear that they were proud of him was his father. I knew that the only person who could actually make him believe that was him, and I hadn’t seen or heard from his father in months. He barely stepped foot into his company to see how his son was managing or to even congratulate his son for making his company a successful business. It broke my heart to know Deryk thought he wasn’t good enough because his father.

“Deryk, young man! Congratulations!” A deep voice brought me out of my thoughts and I glanced up to see a rather tall man, with black hair and dark eyes. He patted Deryk on the shoulder and Deryk chuckled, standing out of his chair to shake the giant’s large hand. I watched as they began speaking and I felt myself quickly lose interest in their conversation. I, then, realized Deryk would be speaking to several people and congratulating him because of what Thomas had said. I sighed quietly and I reached for the half-empty glass of champagne Deryk had been drinking and chugged it back.

Just as I finished, the petite waitress I had asked for another glass from, stopped at my table, apologizing for her delay on bringing me the glass. I told her not to worry about it and quickly thanked her for the champagne. Once she apologized for the hundredth time, I was finally able to take a drink from my glass.

Well, I thought, cheers to a long, long night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Karissa's Ball Look:
Hair | Makeup | Dress

Deryk's Ball Look:
Tuxedo

Hi guys!

I am back and I hope you all enjoyed this new chapter! I know it's a bit long and I really hope you didn't get bored through it, and I am sorry if you did! The next chapter (which is being written as we speak) will be more exciting. I promise, and I really hope to hear some feedback from you and let me know how you feel once the next chapter is out.

I would love to hear some feedback for this chapter! Let me know how if you liked it or not. I apologize if my writing isn't the best. I'm trying my hardest to make everything flow and mesh well together. Anyways, I really do hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Comments, feedback, critics? Anything is appreciated! Xo.