Remember this Face, Baby.

six

Our lips touch outside the door,
A whole we've got in store,
Whisper in my ear that you want some more,
And I,
Jizz in my pants!


I tried ignoring The Lonely Island, going on about jizzing in their pants and squeezed my eyes, tightly as they tried flying opened. Each second that seemed to pass by, the song seemed to get louder and finally, I heard Alexis' familiar cry. My eyes opened, instantly and I jumped up from the bed, rushing over to grab Alexis. I pulled her close to me, rubbing my hand on her back, gently and whispering soft soothings in her ear.

Once Alexis calmed down, I shifted her on my hip and walked over to my phone, still blaring with that stupid song. I grabbed my cellphone and flipped it opened, pressing it to my ear. "Hello," I answered, blankly. I knew, immediately who it was and I restrained myself from screaming profanities into the phone.

"Good morning, darling. It's another lovely Monday. I wanted you to wake up with my voice being the first thing you heard," she replied, cheerfully, making me roll my eyes.

"Good-bye, Kayla," I snapped the phone shut and tossed it onto the bed.

I would never get tired of saying how much I hated Monday mornings.

When I stepped in the corridor, I could hear dishes clattering and the water running. Alexis laid her head on my shoulder, continuing to suck on her thumb as I walked downstairs and saw her grandmother pouring herself a cup of coffee. I walked over to the table placed against the wall and placed Alexis in her high chair. My mom greeted me with a smile and sat down at her usual spot at the table, taking a small sip of her coffee.

"Are you sure you're ready to go to school?" my mom asked, gently.

"Yes, mom. I'm sick of being coped up in this house. I haven't even been to work," my mom nodded, solemnly and sighed.

"If you believe so," she paused, looking up at the clock hanging on the wall. Her soft eyes landed on me again and smiled, "Well, if you're going to school, go get in the shower and get dressed. You have fourty-five minutes. I'll feed Alexis," she said, walking over to one of the cuberts and pulling it opened. She grabbed a container of carrot-flavoured baby food and a spoon with Winnie the Pooh on it.

"Alright, I'll be back down, soon."

My mother sat herself in my seat, as she opened the baby food and placed it on the table, scoping it with the Winnie the Pooh spoon. Alexis eyed the spoon and her small mouth opened a little bit, before she closed it and tilted her head. I chuckled and kissed her forehead, turning on my heel and walking upstairs. I wished that when I said I was ready to go to school, I actually was. I had been trying to avoid this day for a few days now, staying hidden in my house. But now, it was back to reality.



The parking lot was already packed with student's cars and students talking amongst each other. More students stood around the large grey building, talking about what happened during the weekend and who went to the hottest parties. I tried not to grimace as I stood across the street from Rierson Heights, the school I had been humilated at for two long years.

I pulled my hood over my head, hoping that would disguise me from being seen by the world and stepped onto Rierson's property. I let my bangs fall over my face as I hung my head and walked towards the entrance of the school. I thanked God that for now, no one had spotted me and attempted to do anything that'd ruin my day. But well, just coming to this school ruined my day, having to face all the people that humilated me and made my life worse.

I could've ignored her and kept walking onwards to the school, but instead, I stopped and looked over my shoulder, seeing Kayla calling my name. All heads turned in my direction and it was the cue to start all the day's bullshit. Somehow, I could hear everyone's voices, though they whispered to each other and I could feel the intensity of their stares. I had become the center of attention in less than a second and trust me, the spotlight I was given wasn't the one I wanted.

"Oh, the slut's back. I heard you got fucked over real bad," a petit brunette snapped, viciously, stretching a sinister smile across her lips.

"Did your fuck buddy have enough of you? Did he finally see how much of a real fuck up you actually are?" I looked over at the raven-haired teenager, sitting comfortably on his scratched skateboard. His face gave off a mischievous glow, but his eyes shone with a dark sparkle.

"Come on, dirty cunt! Show us the bruises, you know we all want to see them," the voice sounded far away, the person probably standing closer to the parking lot, but to me, it sounded like they were right beside me.

Their voices echoed loudly in my ears, as the world started spinning. As everything spinned, they seemed to enclose me in a tight circle. I could feel my heart beating at a speed I didn't know it could go and my throat tightened. I couldn't get enough air to my lungs, as I tried breathing through my parted lips. Everything around me blurred as hot tears rushed to my eyes and my knees buckled. I was falling infront of everyone and again, they'd laugh at me and again, I'd be humilated.

Before I could fall, strong arms snaked around my waist and pulled me up. I felt wind, cold as ice whip against my cheeks, and heard something make a loud bang, as it was pushed against something with much force. Wind was still flowing around me and the arms were still hooked around my waist. I could barely see anything around me because of the tears blocking my sight and because I was going at a such fast pace.

My body was pressed, gently, against something hard, keeping me from tumbling to the floor like my knees wanted to do. I, finally, realized I was crying, shrieking how much I hated this town and these people. I called out to my daughter, hoping she'd magically appear in my arms so I could cradle her. But I just wanted someone to hold me, to pull me close and whisper they'd make everything disappear. That they'd make the pain finally go away and the scars heal.

"Thank you so much. I was so stupid; I don't know why I did that. Thank you, thank you," Kayla's voice was above mine, now as she pulled me into her. I could smell the familiar Roxy perfume she wore on a regular basis and recognized the necklace hanging around her neck, glowing before me. Her hands were tangled in my long hair, as I held her around the waist, sobbing into her shoulder.

"Why were they talking to her like that? I mean, I know it's not my business, but no one deserves to be treated like that," it was a voice; deep and masculine. Even though he wasn't trying, I knew his voice held a husky, seductive hint to it. Strangely enough, I recognized it.

"Because they have nothing better to do than make her life a living hell. Look, thank you for helping us, but please, try and stay out of her business. She doesn't need another person spreading rumours about her. If you're just helping to us to later on spread that she was crying, please just fuck off," Kayla sounded angry, but there was a pleading in her voice I hadn't heard before. Her lips found my ear and she whispered she loved me and everything was going to be okay.

"No, I'd never do that. I just wanted to help. I wouldn't spread a rumour, no matter if I wasn't new here or anything," what was it his voice that sounded so familiar? Where had I heard it before?

"Welcome to Rierson Heights. I hope you enjoy your stay," with that, Kayla walked away, holding me close to her.

Kayla led me into the girls' bathroom and placed me against a wall, allowing me to slide down and touch the floor, bringing my knees up to my chest and sobbing into my knees. Kayla was beside me, sitting on the dirty floor beside me, wrapping her arm around me. There was such a hollowness in my heart, I didn't think I could bear it any longer. I wanted to be able to tell them how much of a living hell they've made my life, but well, I knew they had known that for a while. They enjoyed seeing someone fall, someone they had made smaller than they and push them to the floor. It was someone's misery that made them feel stronger and alive. But if someone pushed them, then they'd become the victim as well.

"Karissa, listen to me. You can't let them do this to you," Kayla whispered.

"How, Kayla? Explain it to me. No matter what I say, it won't matter to them. I'm just their toy to play around with. The same toy I was for Dj," I stated through my sobs, feeling myself shake.

"And you're going to let them do this to you everytime? Are you going to let them keep hurting you? It's been two fucking years, Karissa. It's about enough," she said, fiercely.

"Just leave it," I said, blinking back the tears, threatening to spill down my cheeks. I looked up at the ceiling, hoping that would make the tears just flow right back to the back of my head or where ever tears came from. "How long until class starts?" I asked, quietly, shrugging Kayla's arm off my shoulders and standing up. Kayla strung up from the floor and scowled, dusting her light-coloured jeans off.

"Karissa, do you enjoy getting hurt? Seriously, tell me honestly because I want to fucking know. Is it fun to get stepped on? Tell me for fuck sakes, because I want to know why you let those fucking people hurt you!" Kayla bellowed, slamming one of the stall door's closed. I jumped, at the sudden bang and stared at my best friend, completely shocked.

"Of course I don't like to be hurt, but I can't do anything about it. Well, at least not now. I - I - why are you so mad?" I stammered, nervously.

"Why wouldn't I be mad? You're better than all those people. You're fucking better than me and you're letting than ruin you. I hardly ever see you smile and when I do, I have to mentally take a picture of it and hold it close. You're not the Karissa I knew, not the one I'm so use to making me smile. I have to make you smile and I feel like I can't. I feel like I can't make you happy. I want you to be happy, I want you to be able to walk into school without those assholes hurting you. I just want you to stand up for yourself, Karsy," Kayla looked at the verge of tears, as she stared at me. She turned away, running her fingers through the mass of blonde curls bouncing on her shoulders.

"Kayla, you do make me happy. Please, don't think you ever wouldn't. Just, don't do this. You're my best friend, just understand me here, please. I don't want to be like them, I don't want to say anything. If I just go on with life and they see that I'm not falling, they'll back off. I know it seems like I'm weak, but I just, I get stronger. Understand me, please," I was cautious as I approached her, hoping she wouldn't do something and turn her back on me. I wouldn't blame her, though. I had been a put down for a while; always moping around, mourning about everything. I was someone no one wanted to be around, especially Kayla. She was like the sun; always shining brightly and making people feel warm. When I was beside her, I was like this cold bucket of water always splashing people with my cold feelings.

"Karissa, just promise me you'll make all this end. Promise me you'll be happy," she muttered, sorrowfully.

I would've thought she would have made me promise something different, but this? I could say I'd keep it, but that's just saying I'll do something. I had no idea if I'd be able to keep it, knowing how I was. If I broke this promise, would I lose her? Would I lose one of the people I loved the most?

"I promise," I whispered, with a soft smile. She sighed and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her and tightened my grip on her, hoping she knew I loved her for always being there for me. I just hoped I could keep this promise.

The bell rang, loudly throughout the school, signaling that everyone had to be in homeroom within five minutes. A chorus of laughing and shuffling of the students walking through the corridors, echoed around the bathroom. Kayla pulled away from me, with a beautiful smile that made me glow and forget about everyting else in that moment. She walked towards a stall and returned with some tiolet paper. She soaked the white paper and came towards me, already dabbing the cold paper against my cheek.

"You look like a raccoon," she chuckled, dabbing the wet material under my eyes and over my cheeks. She tossed the wet gob of tiolet paper over her shoulder and placed her Chanel bag on the counter, pulling out her make-up bag. She had pulled out an eyeliner pencil, small container of lipgloss and some eyeshadow.

"What you doing?" I asked, gently.

"Making you even more beautiful than you are. You just need these three wonders the Make-up God provided us women with. Trust me, you'll feel so much better after this." I figured what she was saying was true and let her do what she wanted.



Kayla greeted me with a warm smile as she walked into the bathroom and placed her purse on the counter, as this morning. She reached up with her hands and tied her curls up in a ponytail. She pulled out a pink headband and slipped it on, applying some lipgloss to match it. I recognized the small sparkle that shined her eye when she turned to me and smiled, again.

"Time for lunch, during. Where you want to go? McDonalds? Wendy's? Popeyes?" She asked, thoughtfully, tapping her chin with a manicured finger.

"Doesn't matter," I replied, with a soft smile and a shrug of a shoulder.

"We should go to Mickey Dee's. I haven't been there since last month and trust me, I miss it," she claimed, grabbing her purse and slinging it over her shoulder. She smiled at herself in the mirror and sighed, happily. I rolled my eyes and let her drag me out of the bathroom. She reached into her purse and pulled out her keys, twirling them around her index finger as we walked towards the front of the school.

Pulling my hood over my head, we pushed the doors opened and stepped outside. Kayla grimaced at the gloomy day and clicked towards her car parked a few cars down in the parking lot. She unlocked the doors and got inside, calling after me. I chuckled as I walked towards the car and slid inside, buckling up before she snapped at me. Music started up, as she turned the engine on and put the car into reverse. She waved at a few people that walked past her car and smiled, then drove off and out of the school parking lot.

"Do you want to eat there or just order it through the drive thru?" Kayla asked, pressing her foot down on the brake as we came to a redlight.

"Whatever you want, missy," I stated, lightly.

"We're totally eating there. I hate eating in cars. Makes us look like bums," she commented, rolling her eyes.

A moment passed, as we waited, patiently for the light to turn green. I bit my bottom lip at the sudden urge to ask who the guy was that helped me in the morning after the large commotion. I could feel Kayla's gaze through the rearview mirror, staring at my hesitating face. She tapped her fingers against the steering wheel and sighed, loudly, rolling her eyes. Jeez, I hated how she knew me so fricken well.

"What is it, Karissa?" she asked, turning to stare at me with an arched eyebrow.

"Sheesh, I was getting there," I stated, hearing her grumble something like sure and press on the gas. "Uhm, who was that guy?" I added, hastily.

"What guy?" She quickly asked, turning into the McDonald's parking lot.

"That guy that helped me get away from everyone this morning," I replied, opening the car door once she parked and closing it behind me. She stepped onto the cement and grabbed her massive purse, tilting her head to the side as though she was remembering what happened only three hours ago.

"Oh yeah. I don't know who he is; some new kid. Everyone's been talking about him, though, like non-stop. I think he's in one of my classes, but I don't remember because I was watching Mean Girls on my iPod," she said, with a soft shrug and continued towards the entrance.

"Oh, did you catch his name by any chance?" I asked, gently, stepping into McDonald's after her and walking towards the small line.

"Uhm, oh God. You're making me think, woman. But, something with a D," she shrugged, again and then asked, suspiciously, "Why are you so interested in him?"

"Oh, I'm just wondering. I want to say thank you to him for helping me," I said, gazing up at the combos and deciding on having a BigMac combo.

"I already said thanks to him. I got it all fixed and shit. What'cha having?" she asked. She turned to stare at the menu, but instead, gazed at the handsome guy standing behind the cashier. I watched her smile and bit down on her lower lip, fluttering her long eyelashes. The cashier looked up from the old lady telling him her order and smirked as he looked over the woman. His eyes wandered down Kayla's slender body and back up to her face, keeping a seductive smirk on his face.

"That'll be $7.29," he said to the woman. Quickly, she handed him the ten bucks and he gave her, her order. She thanked him and walked off, letting Kayla finally move up. I shook my head as I watched Kayla smile at him and ran her fingers along her lips, enjoying as he watched her every movement. She crossed her arms below her breasts, lifting them up higher, allowing her cleavage to expose even more. His eyes widened, slightly at the site infront of him and he cleared his throat, pulling his lower lip into his mouth and nibbling on it.

"Hm, I'll have the six piece chicken mcnugget combo," she stated, with a flirty tone to her voice.

"And what would you like to drink with that, sweetheart?" the cashier asked, gently, tilting his head as he watched my best friend run her finger down her neck and tangle it with her necklace hanging just above the opening of her shirt.

"I'll have a chocolate milkshake, please," she replied, flashing him her famous smile.

He grinned, "It's on the house," he whispered, huskily, bending over slightly, getting closer to Kayla.

"Oh, no. I don't want you fired or anything," she said, seductively, keeping her voice low and gentle.

"Nah, it's alright. Anything for a pretty lady," I shook my head as she nodded and said a soft okay. He grabbed her food and handed it to her. I heard him ask for her number and before I knew it, she was handing him a napkin with her number on it.

"Call me sometime," she winked and walked away with her tray of food, swaying her hips. "I'll find a seat," she said to me, playfully. I rolled my eyes and nodded, moving up the line and looking up at the guy. He looked down at me and smiled, flirtatiously.

"Hey, sweetheart. What'cha want?" he asked.

"I'll have the BigMac combo with a coke," I replied, blankly.

After I ordered my food, the cashier insisiting on getting my number as well, but I rejected him and paid for my meal. I looked for Kayla and found her sitting near the window. I slid into the booth, seeing Kayla already stuffing her face and shoving fries into her already full mouth. Again, I rolled my eyes and opened the box that held my burger, grabbing a fry and chewing on that.

"He calls and I'm going to hang up," she smiled, devilishly.

"You are such a scamming bitch," I said, shaking my head as I watched her. She smirked and shrugged, dipping a nugget into the plum sauce. She bit a piece and nodded, "I know I am," she replied.

"Kayla, why don't I believe you?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her as she snapped her eyes back on me.

"Yes, darling. Tell me, why don't you believe me? I believe me. That old lady with no teeth believes me," Kayla said, nodding her head to the old woman sitting with her husband in the other booth across from us. I tried not to grimace in disgust, as I stared at her dentures laying proudly on a napkin in open view.

"Kayla, right after you left and gave him his number, he asked for my number right after. He's a player and I know you don't tolerate that. Do I have to bring up Timmy?" I asked, placing my burger back down in the box and staring at her.

"Timmy was a mistake and don't bring him up into this. I'm not going to answer, okay? Sure, he's pretty good-looking and is the kind of guy I'd go for. But that doesn't mean I want to go out with him or any of the sort," she said, trying to sound convincing as possible. It sounded as if she was trying to convince not just me, but herself, too.

"Look, I'm not going to interfere into your love life, but it was a long time before you finally got over him. I'm not the one to talk, but Kayla, you're always happy. For those three months, you wouldn't even attempt to smile. You were gloomy as hell. I don't want this guy hurting you like Timmy did," I said, honestly, watching her expression soften.

"I'm one tough bitch. You know that, so there's no need to worry. Timmy was an idiot and obviously, he didn't deserve me. I'm too good for him and anyone else. Well, beside you, hunny bunny. You and me put together are on duo of one tough bitch! No one can fuck with us," Kayla replied, firmly, before smiling.

For a moment, I stared at Kayla, wondering if she was just saying that to convince herself. I know Kayla still thought about Timmy and hoped he'd come back to this town. Even if she didn't think I knew, I had already found a small picture she had always held in her wallet, hidden under her pink pillow. She had told me, she had gotten rid of everything he had given her and ripped up pictures that had taken together. Of course, I knew she had lied because Timmy was the one guy who had made her feel like the world would end if ever left her.

And he had done just that to her.

When Kayla discovered that, besides the fact that he was moving to a different town because of a job offer given to Timothy's father, he had cheated on Kayla on several ocassions. He had also caused much complications in our friendship. Kayla hardly ever believed me that Timmy wasn't the right guy for her, and because of my disagreement in their relationship, she thought I had been jealous of her. For a few months, Kayla and I hardly talked and when we did, it always ended in a large argument because of Timothy.

In the end, Kayla discovered he was cheating on her and after she embarrassed him infront of the whole school, she ended their relationship and apologised to me. Since those few days, Kayla and I got even closer and became inseparable. For months, though, Kayla had been in such a depression, she hardly ever wanted to go out and then, I had been the one dragging her out of her house and trying to cheer her up when she felt like she'd breakdown. It took me twice as hard to cheer her up, because of my teenage pregnancy and DJ.

In months time, really, Kayla started returning to her cheerful self again, but she hardly ever trusted guys again. She became a tease and let herself play around with them, giving out numbers and flirting. A guy would call her and she would straight out tell them, he wasn't her type and she didn't know what she was on when she talked to them. I've heard her talk to them over the phone and her words even stung me.

Kayla stood up from the table, grabbing all her belongings and slinging her purse over her shoulder. She slipped on her glasses and looked down at me, with a sweet smile. I ate the last of my burger and picked up my tray, with Kayla following behind. I stopped at the garbage, seeing Kayla walk right past me and out the door, completely ignoring the guy standing at the cashier waving at her. I rolled my eyes and opened the garbage, pushing all the trash into the containment and putting the tray on top of the garbage box. I walked out of McDonalds and climbed into the car, already waiting for me at the curb. Kayla stepped on the gas and sped out the parking lot, nearly hitting another car driving by.

"Hey Karissa," Kayla said, gently, looking over to stare at me.

"Hey Kayla," I mimicked, making her roll her eyes, but smile nonethless.

"If you were given the chance to leave this town and forget about everything, would you take the chance?" Kayla asked. Her voice sounded light and a bit playful, but her eyes shone with a different emotion.

I didn't understand why she had asked the question, but I thought about the answer. If I was given the chance to leave this town and forget about everything, would I take the chance?

"Yeah, I would."