‹ Prequel: A Maybe Relationship
Sequel: A Mistaken Identity

A Messed-Up Heart

Distraction

I was getting ready to board my plane back to Pennsylvania when my phone rang. Since the news of the Kallison engagement had broken out, I suspected that it was Selena or Demi attempting to console me about the fact that the boy I loved was now engaged. Of everyone who was out in California, they were the only ones unaware of the fact that I witnessed the proposal that I never wanted to happen. Nick knew, and so did Betsy, but that was it. No one else was aware of the fact that I saw the proposal occur. So, I answered my phone under the assumption that it was either Selena or Demi. “Hello?” I asked

“Ms. Weimar? My name is Lana Hunter. I contacted you a few weeks ago regarding your novel, God Save the World. I never got an answer from you though. So, Ms. Weimar, could you please meet me at the address I gave you when we last spoke. I’d like to speak with you about your novel and its publishing future,” the woman explained to me.

Once it was mentioned, I thought back on what she said. The aforementioned contact was made in mid-December. It was before the engagement, before the coma, before the seizure. Actually, if I remember correctly, that was part of the reason that I left California in the first place. That call had partially compelled me to fly out to New York, so as to get my book published. I could have gotten an agent that was out in California, but New York seemed to be the better place for me to do so. New York was a huge city, and I knew that I would find at least one agent there that would represent me and my book. I sighed and answered. “Ms. Hunter, when would be a good time for you? I’m in New York at the moment and could probably meet you right now if need be,” I explained.

“That’ll work,” Ms. Hunter said.

Now that my plans had changed, I sighed and left the airport without boarding the plane that I been scheduled to be on. It was a sacrifice that I was willing to make though, considering that it had always been my dream to be on the New York Times Bestseller list. So, meeting this agent would probably be the best thing for me to do. And, besides, the talk about getting my book published would probably be able to keep my mind off of the fact that Kallison was engaged. It might actually be the only thing that could get my mind off of everything that happened this weekend. Betsy, Selena, Demi, David, and Nick could only do so much in order to help me. Ultimately, that meant that this was the only thing that would be able to help me. Otherwise, I knew that I was bound to think of nothing but the marriage that Betsy and I never wished to see happen. I never wished to see that happen.

As I was headed to the address Ms. Hunter gave me two month ago, I thought of Betsy and what a book deal might be able to do for me and my younger sister. Remembering back to the first real conversation I had with Kevin, one that did involve the concert or the prank we pulled on Joe and Nick, I told Kevin of my charitable intentions for the book deal money. Thirty-five percent of the money wasn’t even going to me. Ten percent was going to my agent, ten percent was to go to Betsy for letting me use her name within the story that I was currently trying to get published, and the other fifteen percent was going to charity. Right now, that was all that mattered: getting money for my younger sister as well as giving the money to three different well-deserving charities.

Upon arriving, I was pointed to Ms. Hunter’s office by the receptionist. I got up there and knocked on the door. A slim, blonde-haired woman opened the door. “Ms. Weimar, I assume?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“Good. Come in then,” she said.

As I entered Ms. Hunter’s office, I sighed heavily. “Thanks. And, please, call me Amanda. It rather weird being referred to by my last name,” I explained as I took a seat in one of the chairs.

Ms. Hunter nodded. “Okay.”

“Now, my book? What about it did you wish to speak with me about?” I asked. I sighed heavily, hoping that, by doing this, it might be able to help me get my mind off of the fact that I couldn’t get Kevin back. The only thing I could do was immerse myself in my writing. And, if I could get this book published, I might finally be able to get over my feelings for Kevin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, my baby. The aforementioned novel is my baby and I am so proud of it. I can't wait until that gets published.

Comment and subscribe.