‹ Prequel: A Maybe Relationship
Sequel: A Mistaken Identity

A Messed-Up Heart

The Book and World Tours

Months went by without any contact from California, not even from Karleigh, which I found rather surprising. I expected at least her to call. It seemed though that Zora had evidently kept her promise, to keep me from being able to contact the people I cared the most about. Through force, Zora had basically given me the opportunity to work on my book. It was at a price though. I could no longer speak with my younger sister. Betsy and I were each isolated. Of course, whereas Betsy at least had Demi and Sterling, I had no one to help me deal with everything that had been going on. I was on my own out here in New York.

During the months that I was separated from my younger sister and couldn’t contact her, I found out some amazing news. In early May, it was decided that my book was to be published. And, as much as I wished for my book to be published, it killed me to know that the two most important people in my life couldn’t congratulate me on my news. There was no way for them to contact me and let them know what was going on with me.

Ms. Hunter had also suggested that I should go out on a book tour in order to promote my book, something that I was quite uncomfortable about doing. The plan was for my book to be released on Saturday, August 15th, 2009, a day that I requested my book being released on. I wanted my book to hold a connection to the boys, and having it released on Joe’s twentieth birthday would be perfect. The Jonas family was a big part of my life and, despite the fact that I was separated from them at the moment, they always would.

Regarding the book tour, I was sort of hoping that I might be able to follow the Jonas Brothers around, promoting my book in each of the cities as I followed the boys on the North American leg of their world tour. If that was at all possible, I would, but I knew that there was absolutely no way in hell that I was ever going to get the chance to do that since Allison and Zora wanted me to be nowhere near my sister and the Jonas Brothers for the rest of my life. So, it wasn’t going to happen. I sighed heavily as I sat around on that early June day in my New York apartment. There wasn’t much for me to do. While I was just sitting around, there was a knock at the door. When I went to answer it, I found that Ms. Hunter was there, a package in hand. “What’s going on?” I asked. “What exactly are you doing here?”

My agent sighed heavily and walked into my apartment and placed the package on the table for me to see. “Amanda, this package just arrived at my office for you not more than an hour ago. There was a note that went along with it that had specific instructions for me to bring the package over to you,” Ms. Hunter said as she sat down in front of me.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because there was no way for this person to get it to you directly. I was merely used as the middle man. Someone knows that I’m your agent and wanted me to get it to you,” she said.

“Betsy,” I said quietly.

“Huh?” Ms. Hunter asked.

“Long story. Let’s just say that I’ve been banned from making contact with my younger sister thanks to a prior relationship of mine. That’s all you need to know,” I said as I took the package and opened it up, pulling out a copy of the Jonas Brothers new CD. This seemed to be an advance copy of the album that either Nick or Betsy had sent me based on their knowledge of the fact that I was going to buy it for myself anyway. It seemed as if one of them had saved me the trouble of going out to buy myself a copy of the CD.

Ms. Hunter stared at the CD and at me in utter confusion. “You’re a Jonas Brothers fan?” she asked. “Well, I never would have pegged you as being a Jonas Brothers fan.”

I rolled my eyes at that. How did I not? How was it that I did not seem like the type of person who might be caught listening to the Jonas Brothers? I guess it really didn’t matter though; it was really all about the perception about the type of person I was. “I am,” I said with a sigh. “I have been for two years. That’s where my sister is at the moment, the sister that I’m dedicating my novel to. Not being able to see or speak to her is hard and, because of a promise I made to the boy I love, there is no possible way for my younger sister to ever see me again, at least so long as a specific person is a part of my sister’s life.

“The boy?” my agent asked.

“Kevin Jonas,” I said.

“Kevin Jonas?”

I nodded. “He is the other person that my book is dedicated to. I love him. We dated, broke up, and I still love him. That’s why my book is dedicated to him and my sister, because I care about them way too much.” I sighed and opened the CD case up only to find the CD and a note. I carefully removed the note and began to read so as to figure out what was going on.

Dear Amanda,

I know it’s been awhile. I know that we’ve lost contact for the past few months. But, as you can see, I was attempting to find a way to get back in contact with you, a way that Allison and Zora wouldn’t find out about. So, I talked to Karleigh and Demi about the possible ways to ensure that I could contact you. This was the only way. A letter sent through your agent was really the only thing I could do.

Now, I know you’re wondering why I sent you an advanced copy of the boys’ new CD. Well I knew you wanted it, so I asked Nick about it and he got you a copy. Plus, it was the best way for me to get my message out to you. I was able to come up with an idea, a way to get the both of us out on tour with the boys. Starting on July 24th when the boys are in Philadelphia, you and I will be able to follow the boys on their tour, at least with the U.S. tour dates.

Karleigh, as it turned out, was allowed to go on tour with Allison, Zora, and the boys. Of course, Karleigh refused to go unless you and I were allowed to come with. Because of her, you and I are both allowed on the tour until August 27th. Us being with them while they’re in Canada is apparently not an option for us though; Allison and Zora refused to give us permission for that. So, we basically have until then to stop the Kallison wedding. That’s our deadline.

I know you appreciate this. I did what I could to help. See you soon.

Betsy

P.S. As soon as you get to Philadelphia, go talk to Big Rob. He’ll know what’s going on.

P.P.S. Kevin and Allison have set a date for their wedding. I’ve just been informed of the fact that Kallison will be tying the knot on Saturday, September 5th, 2009 at noon. They’ll be honeymooning at Niagara Falls. Just wanted to let you know.


When I saw the P.P.S. on my younger sister’s letter, I couldn’t stand it anymore; I had to cry. Now that there was a definitive date for the Kallison wedding, it was going to be hard for me to deal with. I loved Kevin, and it was going to hard to let go of him, to let Kevin marry Allison. Yet, with the hypnosis and Allison’s psychic ability, I knew that there was something very wrong about everything that was going on. There was really no possible way for me to ever let go of the boy I loved, not when I had loved him so much and could bear to see him marry a girl that hated me and my younger sister with such passion.

Ms. Hunter stared at me. “What’s wrong?”

I wiped away the tears that were streaming down my face. “I just found out that the boy I love has set a date to get married to his fiancée. I’ve been dreading this day, the day that I discovered that I was really going to lose Kevin. I always hoped that Kevin would call off the wedding and come back to me. I guess though that that’s never going to happen. I’m just going to have to deal with the fact that I’m going to lose the love of my life.” I sighed heavily. “Betsy was right. Behind These Hazel Eyes. Betsy always seems to be right about me.”

“Your sister?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. And, in that letter I just got, my sister provided me with a suggestion. You said that you wanted me to go out on a book tour. Well, I have just one stipulation.” I grabbed the list of tour dates of the Jonas Brothers World Tour from off the desk and showed it to my agent. “This is a list of the cities and the days I wish to be in each of them. July 24th in Philadelphia. That’s my home state and that’s where I want to start the book tour. For a full month, I’ll travel around the country promoting my book. That’s the deal, Ms. Hunter. That’s the only way that I’ll ever agree to go out on this book tour at all.”

My agent looked at me in utter confusion. She didn’t get what was going on “Why? Why would you want to follow your ex-boyfriend around as he’s out on this world tour of his?”

“You wouldn’t understand. There are only two people in the world that would ever understand what was going on in my life: my younger sister and Nick Jonas. They were always the ones that understood what was going on in my life.” I began to tear up, knowing of the fact that Kevin would never know what was really going on, how much I had truly cared about him. As I thought about all of this, I traced my fingers over the medic alert locket that was around my neck, the only thing I really had to remember Kevin by.

The last time that I had even seen or spoken to Kevin was six months ago when he asked me to stay away from California for the duration of the Kallison relationship. And, since they were now engaged, there was absolutely no way in hell that I was ever going to get to see Kevin ever again. I had but one thing to remember Kevin by, something that I was always going to have with me. There was something about this locket, something that I wasn’t allowed to know about since I had been unable to even open the locket. Kevin had told me that there was only one instance in which I would ever be able to open the locket, but I didn’t know what that instance was. So, there was no possible way for me to ever figure out what was going on with this locket, or why it was given to me.

Ms. Hunter rolled her eyes. “Whatever. And, as for your upcoming book tour, I’ll see what I can do about your request. I can’t really promise anything though. There’s no way for you to know what places I might be able to book for an interview,” she explained to me.

I nodded and, after my agent left, went back to what I was doing before my agent stopped by. I sat around trying to figure out why Karleigh seemed so intent on getting me and Betsy the opportunity to go out on the World Tour with the boys. Was Karleigh somehow trying to prove that she was on our side, that she wanted to see Kevanda and Jetsy in existence as compared to Kallison and Jora? I knew that I was definitely going to have to contact Karleigh about all of this; I needed to know what was going on. Karleigh was the only person that could tell me what was going on and I would evidently have to get in contact with her about how Karleigh was able to convince Allison and Zora to let me and Betsy go on tour. It was great, but I needed to know why. I needed to know how all of this happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.