‹ Prequel: A Maybe Relationship
Sequel: A Mistaken Identity

A Messed-Up Heart

Take a Breath

Monday morning came and, to my utter disgust, I learned of some terrible news. Selena approached me that morning while Betsy was busy getting ready. “Amanda, I know this is something you probably don’t want to hear, but Betsy and I need to go back out to California. I’m getting ready to go out and film a movie, and Betsy has filming for JONAS. Nick told me before we left that the boys are filming an episode with Betsy starting tomorrow. So, we need to get back to California so that it can occur,” Selena explained.

“I don’t really have a choice, do I?” I asked.

Betsy came down and shook her head. “I’m afraid not, Amanda. And, I know that it seems kind of boring out here while Mom and Dad are out on the Caribbean cruise, but I think I have a solution for that. Remember during the live chat when someone asked if the boys were going to be on SNL. Well, it was only recently determined that they would be.”

“Really? When?” I asked.

“Valentine’s Day,” Betsy said.

“You mean the same day that Mom and Dad are supposed to be coming back from their cruise?” I asked. “Betsy, how exactly am I supposed to get up to New York to watch the boys perform on SNL when there’s a possibility of Mom and Dad coming back home before I get the chance to go up there? How am I supposed to keep that from happening in order to see the boys? You know that can’t happen. They can’t know about anything that’s been going on for the past few months. If they do, it will only cause trouble.”

“Take a cab to the airport and fly up to New York before Valentine’s Day. If you do that, it will ensure that Mom and Dad have no clue as to what’s been going on for the past month,” Betsy said. “Nick wants the both of us to be there. I don’t know why, but he does.”

“Nick wants us there?” I asked. “Tell me, do either Joe or Kevin know anything about this? Are they aware of the fact that that Nick is attempting to keep us close? Allison and Zora have kept us from spending time with the boys, kept us from staying close with the boys. I mean, Nick might not be able to fix what happened; he can only do so much to help us.”

“I guess, but we have to try,” Betsy said.

After Selena and Betsy left the house, I went and took a seat in front of my laptop and pulled up the webcam. I was trying to see if I could contact Nick in order to speak with him about what he was trying to do. Of course, instead of Nick, I got Joe. “Panda?” he asked.

I nodded. “Yeah, and I was kind of hoping that I might catch Nick. Joe, could you please go get him for me?” I asked. “I must speak with him. It’s imperative that I talk to him.”

Joe shook his head. “I can’t exactly do that, Panda. I’m the only one here at the moment. Kevin is out with Allison and Nick is out with a friend. Neither one is going to be around for the next two hours. So, is this anything that I might be able to help you with?” Joe asked me as he quickly shifted to a different position that was in front of the webcam.

Knowing perfectly well that Joe could never know about the fact that I was going to be in New York when the boys went to perform on SNL, I shook my head. Kevin and Joe weren’t supposed to know of Nick’s plan to get us up there. “Afraid not, Joe. This is something that only Nick is allowed to know about. But, there is something that you can help me with. I have a question in mind that only you can answer, something I need to know,” I said.

“What?” Joe asked.

“Why’d you break your promise?” I asked.

Joe glared at me. “What kind of question is that?”

“A question I want answered!” I retorted angrily. “When I left a few weeks ago, you made a promise to me, a promise you broke. I asked you to make a conscious effort to spend as much time as you possibly could with Betsy. I, of course, know for a fact that you haven’t been doing so. Now why? Why would you break your promise to me, one that was rather important to me?”

Joe shrugged. “People change and promises are broken.”

When I heard about that, I couldn’t believe that Joe was doing this. He chose the worst possible line to quote. And, the thing about it was that Joe normally wasn’t like this. He normally would never say things like that. “Joe, don’t you dare quote Take a Breath to me. This is my younger sister we’re talking about. You used to be so close. Now, that is a direct quote from my cousin, someone, who, when Betsy and I went to see our cousin before she headed out to Taiwan, found it odd that you guys weren’t with us. Look, Joe, despite what happened between the two of us on Thanksgiving, Betsy still does love you. Don’t break her heart the way that Kevin did with mine three months ago.”

“I can’t promise that,” he said.

“Then, Joe, I’m afraid that you and Kevin have lost out on knowing the best two girls in the world, either as friends or girlfriends You may have broken up with Betsy because of her hot guy list, but what you don’t seem to realize is the fact that she chose you. Out of the two-page list she had, you’re the one she chose to date. It’s your loss, I suppose,” I said, closing the webcam window in absolute disgust. Joe definitely was not himself these days; something changed within him, much like it had with Kevin a little while ago and I was never very fond of the people that Kevin and Joe were turning into without me or Betsy being around the Jonas family. The whole thing just wasn’t right and I knew it.

I wasn’t exactly sure as to what had happened to the elder two Jonas boys over the past few months, but I was absolutely sure of the fact that it had to do with what Allison and Zora were attempting to do in order to ruin Betsy’s and my life by spending so much time with the boys. Without me and Betsy around, Allison and Zora had consumed their time. Something inside told me that Kallison and Jora could spell the end of the Jonas Brothers forever if something wasn’t done about it. There was absolutely no way in hell that I was ever about to let something like that happen. Ultimately, that meant getting rid of Allison and Zora. But, how was I supposed to do that? How was I supposed to do rid of Allison and Zora with the existence of Allison’s psychic ability? So long as Allison possessed that ability, any attempt I made at trying to get rid of Allison would be foiled. There was really no way for me to ensure that Allison and Zora were out of the Jonas family’s life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.