It's Our Last Chance to Feel Again

sixteen.

Awkward was an understatement at how I felt at that moment. I sat on one of the chairs, hugging myself in a vain attempt to keep warm, while watching everyone converse about topics I assumed I would have no idea about.

It wasn't that I was antisocial. I would have approached one of the many people if I could. The thing is, when it came to socialising, I was horrible at it. I don't know if you've noticed, but I have discovered after sixteen years of living, that awkward situations followed me wherever I went. So it was with that knowledge that I remained seated, all the while wishing that the stupid wind would relent for even a little.

As usual though, the wind remained harsh and scratched at the skin that my summer dress had failed to cover. While I will take the blame for wearing a summer dress in La Push, I will also attempt to defend myself by saying that when Jacob had told me about the get together, I had been under the impression that it was going to be held inside the house. Wrapping my arms around my torso tighter, I slowly exhaled as the unforgiving wind threw the hair that I had so painstakingly curled and styled into a mess.

Despite everything though, when I caught a glimpse of Jacob's apologetic smile, I couldn't help but return a reassuring one. It wasn't like me to give in so easily, but for some reason, I just couldn't stay angry with Jacob. Besides, it wasn't like it was his fault he had to help maneuver Billy around.

My eyes wandered over everyone who was present, and like I had expected, everyone here was huge. Well, mainly the guys. Most of the girls there were either by a huge guys' side with arms protectively wrapped around their waist, or mingling.

However, one particular girl sat alone. She had a frown on her face, and like me, didn't seem to be considering if she should join in on one of the many conversations going on. Unlike me, however, she didn't look like she was just about to freeze to death.

She must have felt my gaze on her because I soon found myself staring right into her eyes. She raised her brow, and though I have no idea if that was her intention, it intimidated me. Okay, maybe it'd be more accurate if I said that she intimidated me. She had a natural beauty, the kind that many girls would die for and I had to wonder why none of the huge guys that didn't have their arms protectively around a girl were chatting her up.

As her stare on me turned more intense, I looked away in embarrassment and tried hard to recall what Jacob had said her name was. When not even a wild guess came to mind, I decided, against my better judgement, to talk to her. The walk over to where she sat could be described simply: Nerve-wracking. The moment she realised what I was doing, her intense stare hardened with every step I took. When I was finally standing right in front of her, I offered a nervous smile. "Hey, I'm Katherine, and I'm pretty sure Jacob introduced us just now but I've kind of forgotten your name so..."

I trailed off in hopes that she'd return a smile or reply me, but the silence that followed caused a lump in my throat. I coughed awkwardly, trying to buy some time. After a few more moments of silence though, I defeatedly turned around and trudged back to my original seat. I had to learn to listen to my mind more often. Really, impulsive decisions just weren't my thing. And obviously, neither was making conversation.

The wind blew once again, and letting out an exasperated breath, I threw my arms around myself again. Suddenly, there was something blocking my view of the happy people and turning to the right, I saw the exotic looking girl I had tried talking to standing with her arm outstretched, holding a big piece of cloth.

"Here."

I sat there with wide eyes not completely comprehending what was going on, while she stared blankly at me. Finally, when enough warmth reached my brain, I reached out and grabbed the blanket, smiling gratefully at the girl.

She didn't offer a smile. Not even a nod of acknowledgement. Nothing. Just that one word, and she had turned on her heel, ready to walk away. "Wait!" I found myself calling out, and immediately I scolded myself.

Why on earth had I done that? I didn't even have anything to say. She turned back around and looked at me expectantly. Under the immense pressure I was being put under, I asked the only thing I could think of, "Have you seen Jacob?"

She raised her eyebrows. "He just left you alone?"

I bit my lip. "That's one way to put it," I shrugged.

She scoffed, "Guys."

She stood with her arms folded and a frown on her face; no sign that she was about to walk away.

"In his defence though, he had to help Billy get around, and since I was already introduced to everyone, I guess he figured I'd be fine."

She looked over at me with something in her eyes that I couldn't quite place. Guessing that it was disbelief, I was surprised when she pulled a chair up and took a seat on it beside me. "I'm Leah."

"Wait, Jacob didn't introduce me to any Leah's," I mused.

Leah didn't smile, and her reply was monotonous. "Yeah, I just arrived not too long ago."

A grin graced my lips and I happily declared, "I knew my memory wasn't that bad!"

I think that my attempt to start a conversation had been in vain because she didn't seem to be listening to me, or even paying attention to the fact that I was beside her. Her eyes were distant, and following her gaze, I noticed that she was looking at Sam. I decided against saying anything mainly because Sam was involved, and I didn't think he'd appreciate me getting into his personal life. But I also had the feeling that Leah wouldn't have told me anything.

The momentary silence was, however, broken by Jacob.

"Katherine! I'm so sorry. Billy wanted to talk to everyone, and then I had to check that Jack wasn't burning down the kitchen with his preparation of the chicken and Embry played a prank on me so I had to get him back, but- Leah?"

The moment he spoke her name, Leah seemed to snap out of her daze. She looked up at Jacob and with, once again, replied monotonously, "Oh. Hey."

She stood up without another word and walked off, never even looking back. This is where I say that honestly, she seemed delusional.

Jacob laughed at my confused expression and sat where Leah had once been sitting on.

"I don't mean to be rude, but what's wrong with Leah?" I asked.

He remained quiet for a while before sighing, "It's pretty complicated."

"Like things always are," I rolled my eyes, "Speaking of which, though. You owe me an explanation."

Jacob smiled nervously, "Okay. But before I say anything, promise me you won't freak out."

"That's so corny." I laughed.

Jacob gave me an exasperated look. "Do you want me to tell you or not?"

"Fine, fine. I promise," I sighed defeated.

"Okay, so remember when you were alone in the woods?"

I frowned, "Yeah, I remember. But how do you know? Sam was the one who saved me and he told Uncle Jack that he didn't tell anyone else."

"He didn't. I was... Okay, what do you remember from the woods?"

"Where are you going with this?" I asked him, confused.

"Just answer the question," He urged, and I looked at him strangely.

"Ohkaaay. Uh, I remember lots of green and being really scared. And three really gorgeous hikers."

At that, Jacob snorted, "Hikers. Yeah right."

I frowned. "What's that supposed to-"

"The chicken's ready!" Uncle Jack suddenly announced, and both Jacob and I turned to look at him coming out of the Blacks' house.

I shook my head. "What's that supposed to mean?" I repeated the question, and Jacob looked at my funny.

"I think that means that we're supposed to start with dinner."

I rolled my eyes, "No. I meant what was that retort for? What'd you mean by 'yeah right'?"

"Oh. I meant that... Well, that's not really important right now. Is that all that you can remember?" He pressed.

"Well other than that, there's nothing too outstanding to remember. Sure, there was this group of really huge wolves, but I guess things are always weird in La Push."

Jacob looked like he wasn't sure if he should laugh. However, he didn't have much time to consider because Uncle Jack chose that moment to appear right in front of us. "Aren't you two going to eat? The chicken's ready!"

I laughed at how proud of himself Uncle Jack was. Jacob looked over at me and I shrugged, "We'll just continue this after dinner."

Jacob looked reassured at the fact that we'd still be talking after dinner, and led me, with his arm around my waist, to the table.

"Hold on," I stopped midway, "I'm just going to put this aside."

I ran back to the chair I had previously been sitting on and tossed the blanket Leah had given me on it, before rushing back to Jacob and the warmth he provided. There was no way I'd need a blanket with him by my side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is out a wee bit late.
Anyway, I hope you like this chapter. Tell me what you think! :)