It's Our Last Chance to Feel Again

two.

"Who's she?" I heard a voice say, and my eyes immediately flew open. Looking around, I realised I was still in the car and that there were two people nearby who looked like they were arguing. Both were obviously men, and there was a huge size difference that made me snort. While my uncle was fat and short, the other man was huge and well-built, and was only clad in a pair of jeans that surprisingly fit him, leaving his chest bare.

"Her name's Katherine. She's my niece, and she's going to be staying with me for a while," I barely heard uncle Jack say, and I frowned. Why on earth would they be talking about me?

"Are you serious? We're going to have to deal with her as well?" Well, people here were rude. Firstly, they talk really loud. Secondly, "we" barely knew me. I mean, what. Was I some unwanted guest? I wasn't that horrible of a person. And what on earth did he mean by 'deal with her as well'?

"I take it no one's heard from Jacob then?" Uncle Jack asked, and the man he was talking to sighed exasperatedly, and shook his head slowly, "We have no idea where he is, what he's doing, who he's with, or if he's even alive. Billy refuses to talk to anyone, and the wedding is coming up soon, and- Ugh. It's just like Jake to do this to us. Now, of all times."

My uncle sighed, and said softly, "Well, I don't know how I can help with Jake, but I'll see to it that Katherine won't be much of a bother."

A bother? A bother to who? How could I be a bother to people I don't even know? What was with this place? Huge people who walked around La Push, of all places, half naked. Maybe Jessica did know what she was doing when she brought me here- freak me out so much by all these strange people I'd never be a bitch to her when she sent me away to her friends ever again.

I frowned slightly and kicked my toe against the dashboard, leaving a mark. Whatever positive feelings I had about this place before were quickly erased with annoyance. As I turned my head to look at the two men once again, I screamed as I saw the huge man standing beside me with the car door already opened, looking in at me. When did he get there? La Push was just getting weirder and weirder.

-

"What's so bad about me being here?" I whispered to my uncle as softly as I could, trying not to let "Sam", who was walking in front of us and carrying my baggages, overhear.

"I'll, err, I'll talk to you about it later," My uncle said in, if it was possible, a softer and more rushed voice than I had used.

"Why? It's not like this Sam guy can possibly overhear us," I rolled my eyes, missing the slight smirk on Sam's face.

Uncle Jack laughed, and walked ahead, quickening his stride, leaving me behind. Sighing, I toted my backpack higher up on my shoulders, and walked slowly. Being the last, it was nothing new too.

-

I looked around the room that Uncle Jack had just shown me to. It wasn't too bad. In fact, it was actually quite nice. The walls had been painted with different colours in a messy pattern. Clearly my mother had briefed him on what I was like more than he had let on. Either that, or I was finally seeing the family resemblance. The single bed that was pushed against the wall was right beside a huge window that faced the beach, giving me a breathtaking view to look forward to every morning.

Smiling slightly, I fell down onto my bed, landing with a slight 'oof' and then sprawled myself all over the bed. Rolling over so that I was facing the ceiling, I started to think about the day. When we had entered the house and Sam had walked away a far enough distance, Uncle Jack had given me a rather believable story about how Sam was having troubles with his brother who had ran away from home, and then there was this girl who was getting married, and Sam's brother was madly in love with her, or something of that sort, and a whole lot of other drama. "In other words," he had said, "Just try to steer clear of the massive people. They're all really stressed, and they really don't need someone to make things harder for them."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. It seemed that even here in La Push, somewhere I'd never been to in my entire life, people didn't want me here. Feeling the familiar pain tugging at my heart, I curled into a ball and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I had thought that coming here to La Push might have given me a chance to finally stop thinking about my dad; the bastard of a father who had left me when I was 2 on a swing in the park, only to be found by my mother hours later, crying my lungs out because I was cold. No one had heard from him ever again. Not me, not Jessica, not even my dad's own mother. So it left my mom to fend for herself and a two-year old kid who was always asking, "Where's daddy?"

Gradually, as I grew up, I had become more aware of what had happened, and I began closing myself up from the outside world. My friends started to get sick of me always moping around, and so they did what most normal people would do. They stopped talking to me. With no friends, no siblings, the only person I could really turn to had became my mom. But then she met Daniel, and our nightly habit of sitting in front of the TV, watching reruns of sappy soap operas with ice cream in our hands became history, and she started sending me away to friends. So once again, the unwanted child has no where to go, no one to turn to, and out of desperation, turned to her imagination for a world where she had a father, and where her mother actually loved her.

I was sick of always hearing the same old "How are you coping with the loss of your father?" from every single friend of my mom's or Daniel's and having thought that this trip would have done me some good, I had clearly built myself up for disappointment. Maybe that was what I needed to do. To stop looking forward to things, and to simply live life day by day.

It made sense, didn't it?

No one had ever given me a second look. Not in school, not in the streets, not even at home. Why had I expected it to be different here? Simply because it was another state? Yeah, life didn't work out that way. I, of all people, should have figured it out.

Lying in a ball, with tears streaming down my face, I slowly drifted off to sleep.