It's Our Last Chance to Feel Again

five.

"Jasper!"

It was loud, and it was more a growl than anything. Yet behind the ferociousness of it all, the voice was still beautiful. Melodic, and velvet. A voice that sounded like no other. That is, until I heard another.

"Jasper, you can't risk everything!"

This time, it was a girl. Figured. The nice sounding guys were always taken by the beautiful sounding girls.

"I can't help it."

And there, standing not more than 15 feet away, was a man so pale and yet so strikingly beautiful. His smooth skin, something I could only envy, was so white that it looked unnatural. The messy blonde hair that framed his face seemed to sparkle (yet another feature I unfortunately didn't have), and I could make out the planes of his muscles under his shirt. But it wasn't the bruise-like bags under his eyes that scared me, or the fact that this "Jasper" guy was pretty damn near perfect. It was his eyes. The pitch black eyes that bore into my very own green orbs.

"No need to be afraid," He said in what was supposed to be a soothing voice, but I felt the fear in me heighten. His voice was as velvety as the previous two, the melody more beautiful. But it held something. Something deeper, and it scared me. He made a move to take a step, but suddenly, two people stood by his side. Well, that's if you could call them humans. They looked so inhumanely beautiful, like angels- Okay, no. I've never seen angels before, and I'm guessing angels don't have eye bags. But their faces, everything about them, it made me just want to reach out and... Just reach out. It felt like they had such a power on me, like as if they were drawing me in, and all I could do was comply. I probably would have, if my legs weren't half dead from all that running.

The two held onto him, one grabbing either side of his arms, and I wondered how on earth was the girl able to hold him back. She was tiny, not just in comparison to the two men, but she literally was tiny. She looked so fragile, with her tiny frame, her black pixie-like haircut, and her eyes. Her beautiful topaz eyes seemed to hold a certain spark to them. The kind of spark that made you think she was harmless. But her grip on Jasper was iron firm, and Jasper even seemed to be struggling against her. Maybe those muscles weren't real...

A chuckle was emitted from the man standing beside Jasper. He had almost bronze coloured hair, and like the other two, had purple-like bruises under his topaz eyes. He was tall and lean, and with a cream coloured shirt on, his ivory skin was emphasised that much more. Trying to gain composure, it was then I started to wonder. Why on earth were they holding him back? Why was it so important that they stopped him from taking a step towards me? I mean, yeah. I know I looked like -what was it again? Ah yes- a sweaty moron, but I couldn't have looked like that much of a freak. What could Jasper not help? And what would he be putting at risk? His ridiculous good looks? Come on, I couldn't look like that much of a maniac.

All I've gotten since I came to La Push was questions. Questions that haven't yet been answered, and I was really growing sick of it.

I didn't know if I should be looking away, and acting as if the three beautiful people weren't just there having an argument of some sort, but I couldn't tear my gaze away from them. Their mouths moved at such speed that it was impossible to lipread, and even freakier, I couldn't hear a single thing they were saying. I never thought I'd say this, but I really should stop blasting songs on my iPod. The two topaz-eyed people had a slight frown on their face, while Jasper's facial expression remained completely unfazed.

And all of a sudden, all three of them snapped their heads up at looked in my direction. The obvious wince in their facial expression looked like they smelt something bad and self-consciously, I tried to smell myself. Great. Three of the most beautiful people I have ever seen are standing so near, and I have to look and smell gross. This day just keeps getting better and better.

But looking at them and their eyes (as if I could help it, really) made me realise it wasn't me they were looking at. Their focus was on something behind me, something that obviously smelt bad. I sniffed the air in hopes of smelling something horrible. However, when no hint of a stench reached my nose, I turned back to look at who was making my newfound friends flinch.

And then I wished I hadn't. It wasn't so much a who, it was more of a what. Or whats, to be precise. Standing behind me was the pack of huge wolf creatures that I had been running away from previously. So, great. Not only was I going to die, I'd be bringing the hikers along with me.

Well, at least I'd have company. A good looking one, too.

Figuring I should at least try to save myself, I took a deep breath and gathered all my strength, trying to hoist my limp body up. I had barely gathered enough strength to push myself up when Mr Gorgeous-Topaz-Eyes glared at me. I hadn't done anything wrong, had I? Or did Mr Gorgeous want me to sacrifice myself for them?

"Well that's rude," I huffed to myself, and noticed that both the wolf-things and the three hikers' attention briefly turned to me before their staring game continued.

Sitting in the middle of the wolves and the hikers, I had no idea what to do. My heart beat eratically as I tried to stay calm. If I stayed where I was, the wolves would kill me. If I moved towards the wolves, they would kill me. If I moved towards the hikers, Mr Gorgeous would probably throw me back to let the wolves kill me. If I climbed up a tree really fast, I'd probably end up falling and killing myself.

Well Katherine. It was a good 16 years. At least no one cares enough to miss you. Burying my head in my arms, a salty tear escaped my eye. Would Jessica regret making me come to La Push? Or was this what she had planned for from the beginning? Either way, she wouldn't need to worry about me being a burden anymore. She and Daniel can have a blasting time on their own, doing whatever it is they do.

"She's still very much alive, as you can tell."

I looked up from my position at the three hikers and realised that it was Mr Gorgeous who had said that. His voice, one that had sounded so beautiful and so velvet previously now sounded ice cold and so threatening that my already wildly beating heart took fast to a whole new level. The pouding echoed in my ears, and I winced at the pain.

Then a blush crept up my cheeks. Was Mr Gorgeous talking to me? I mean, he couldn't be talking to Pixie Girl or Jasper. And yeah, it's so much more likely that he's talking to the wolves. Cue the rolling of eyes. Not knowing what to say, I decided to just go with a simple, "Wh-what?" and then winced when I heard the crack in my voice.

Great. Now he knows you're nervous. Way to make a fool of yourself in front of Mr Gorgeous, Katherine. You deserve a standing ovation.

"No, no one stepped on your side of the land," He said, and my eyebrows knitted together in confusion. My side of the land? I owned land?

"I'm sorry, but what land?" I asked, beyond confused.

While Jasper and Mr Gorgeous didn't so much as acknowledge my question, Pixie looked down at me and smiled. Well, if that wasn't completely out of the blue. At least she bothered to make me feel like less of an idiot.

"Shut up, mutt. He did no such thing," Mr Gorgeous snarled, and ignoring the last sentence that made no sense, I looked at him furious. For a while, I forgot the situation I was in, and with my fury powering me, I stood up, not caring that Mr Gorgeous would probably throw me to the wolves.

"What the hell is your problem? Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one who spoke first? And all I was doing was trying to be polite while you spout some nonsense, but then you ask me to shut up and call me a bitch? And what the bloody hell was that glare for?! I was trying to save myself from those bloody wolves, damn it. Ah, shit. The wolves."

I immediately whipped my head around and looked at the wolves with fear written all over my face. The same russet coloured wolf from the previous encounter took a step forward, and as if it were some choreography, I took a step back. All the wolves snarled, and I could have sworn I heard the hikers growl.

Thoroughly confused and scared, tears started to stream down my face. What was I doing out here? What on earth was going on? Why wouldn't the hikers just let me live? And why were the wolves just standing there and not killing me? Were they trying to make me die of a panic attack? What was I supposed to do? I felt so lost, so afraid, and I suddenly felt myself wishing for my dad. Yes, the dad who left me on that stupid swing. The dad whose face I can't remember. I just wanted him to hug me, to tell me everything would be alright.

Which is extremely dumb because I'd know it wasn't true, what with about ten huge wolves waiting for me to die or whatever it is they were doing, but you can't blame a girl for dreaming.

And probably for the first time through the whole situation, Mr Gorgeous looked at me and said in that beautiful voice I first heard, "I apologise, but it wasn't you I was talking or referring to."

His beautiful topaz eyes were looking intently at my tear-clouded eyes, and I thought I saw sympathy behind them. I wanted so much to say something else, to ask a question that would probably have been answered, but I blurted the first thing my mind thought of.

"Why are you being so formal?"

My voice sounded hoarse, and again, I winced at how weak I sounded when I cried.

Mr Gorgeous' lips tugged upwards ever so slightly, and the small crooked smile he gave sent my heart leaping once again. "Habit of speech, I suppose."

Not caring, I just nodded and stood still. From the corner of my eye, I saw the wolves still looking at me, and I took in a shaky breath.

"I meant what I said before. There's no need to be afraid."

I looked over at Jasper, and as I did so, I felt a wave of calm wash over me. It was strange, but it suddenly didn't matter that the wolves were still standing there, probably getting ready to attack.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right.
I'll be really busy from now on studying for my midyears, so the next update's going to be pretty slow.
I do have an idea for the chapter, and I kinda really like it, but it's going to take me quite a long time for me to really get to that idea.
Just a heads up to all you wonderful readers. <3