It's Our Last Chance to Feel Again

nine.

JACOB

I couldn't do anything. I was, once again, found helpless at a situation with Katherine. This time though, it was completely because of my incapability.

Why hadn't I just said something that would make her laugh and not walk away? Or why hadn't I chased after her, or called her back when she did?

And because I simply stayed frozen sitting on the beach, Katherine was now in Jack's home, away from me.

I watched as she took those steps, watched carefully the way her feet moved. Small strides, but so quick they matched up to even Sam's speed. Something told me that she might be able to win Leah in a running competition if she ever became a werewolf.

Fustrated, I ran a hand through my hair and groaned. How was I supposed to tell her the truth if I couldn't even get her to talk to me? I didn't even know anything about her apart from her name, and even then, it was Paul who told me that.

"Where's Katherine?" I heard Paul's confused voice, and turned my head to meet with his accusing look.

"I didn't bring her into the woods, if that's what your look is for," I rolled my eyes before turning back to my original position, resting my head on my hands.

"That's not what I asked," Paul replied, and I could practically hear the smirk that I would have loved getting rid of.

"So?" I asked, for lack of a better retort. No way in hell was I going to tell him what happened. He'd never let it go, and the rest of the pack would find out soon enough, and then they'd never let it go.

"So where is she?" Paul persisted, and my jaw clenched.

I snapped, "Obviously not here."

"Well, clearly," Paul snorted, and I had to bite my tongue from snapping at him again.

"Aren't you supposed to be patrolling?" I asked, and Paul narrowed his eyes at how sharp I sounded. Wasn't my fault my own imprint had to make a weird noise to try and get away from me. Okay, maybe it was. But whatever. I'm pissed, annoyed and a bunch of other emotions so sue me for being an asshole who can't think straight.

Man, if this is how girls feel during their um, cycle, they really have my sympathy.

"Yeah, but usually Kat's around here at this time, and I don't think her seeing me in wolf form is really the best thing," Paul answered my question, rubbing the back of his neck.

"So basically, you see her almost everyday?" Hey, don't blame me for feeling protective and jealous. It's my imprint we're talking about. My imprint that has not even said anything to me. My imprint that's had a longer and more meaningful conversation with Paul than I've had with all the bloodsuckers combined. Yeah, okay. Slight exaggeration. Again, whatever.

Paul, who didn't seem to catch on to the edgy tone my voice had suddenly adopted shrugged, "Um. Pretty much, I guess."

A tremor shook at my spine, and I would have made a smart comment if it weren't for the sudden mental image of Katherine, looking at the whole pack with fear in her eyes back in the woods. Taking a deep breath and Jared's advice (I'd never admit it out loud. Never), I asked Paul as softly as I could, "Does she ever talk to you?"

Paul's eyes remained squinted for a moment, before they widened in understanding, "Is that why you're acting like a girl?"

"Stop with the girl thing, already!" I yelled, and then groaned when I realised how true everyone was.

It happened in a fraction of a second. I saw Paul's smile widen into a huge grin, and I felt the tremors once again. The grin grew wider, and the tremors turned violent. And the moment his loud laughter could be heard, I felt myself crouch, and another convulsion shook me. The familiar feeling of my muscles shifting, of my spine rolling out took over and before either of us knew what was happening, I had fur and paws.

What the- Jake? You helping Paul do... What the hell is wrong with you?! Katherine could see you! Jared thought.

"Jake, fuck's wrong with you, man?!" Paul roared, and I saw him shiver, and watched as the animal threatened to burst out from within him. Then I heard it, along with Paul. The gentle closing of the door. Small, swift footsteps. Katherine.

Yeah, good going, Jake. Now she's seen you, Jared's annoyed voice rang in my head, but I pushed it aside. It didn't matter. The lecture could wait.

"Seriously, Jacob. You just... You're really making things hard for us, you know?" Paul whispered so softly that a normal person wouldn't have been able to hear. I had to scoff at that. Normal. What did that even mean anymore?

The footsteps grew louder and louder, the rhythm remaining constant. My heart beat along to it, and it suddenly felt like the whole world was whirling. She was walking back. In my direction. To me.

The rhythm stopped, and my heart seemed to follow suit for just a second.

"Did... Did you call that wolf Jake?" Katherine asked, and I growled at how comfortable she sounded when she talked to Paul. No emitting of strange noises as an excuse to get away from him. Nothing of that sort.

Paul turned his head slightly to give me an annoyed look, and then turned to Katherine, "Uh, I think you should back off a little."

"What?" Katherine asked, sounding offended, "Why?"

"You didn't hear the growl?" Paul asked, confused.

"Oh, that. Yeah, I heard it. But he's not going to hurt me."

Surprised at what I heard, I turned to look at her. So she wasn't scared of me as a huge terrifying wolf, but she's petrified to silence when I'm human?

"And you know that because...?" Paul asked, and I wondered for a second if Rachel accidentally tackled him a little too hard the other day when they were playing football. I know, I know. Rachel playing football with Paul? But this was a game between the imprints. Guys against the girls, and I find it needless to say who ended up winning.

"Because he's the wolf from the woods," Katherine said, and she sounded strangely serene. Maybe something was wrong with that girl... Leave it to fate to pair me up with a girl who had a mental condition.

Either way, I'd still love her. Love. I had to snort again at that. Nothing more than a word people throw around way too much.

"Uh, what wolf?"

Yup, Rachel's tackle definitely blew his brains away. Who knew my sister was so strong?

Katherine bit her lip and her eyebrows turned down in a slight frown, before she looked back up at Paul and said, "You'd think I'm crazy."

Paul looked amused, "Try me."

Oh, great. So now she tells him her life story. It just keeps getting better and better.

Katherine opened her mouth, ready to speak, before snapping it shut and then looking like as if she was fighting an internal battle. And we stood that way for three seconds. Katherine's eyes distant, Paul's eyes wary, watching for anyone else who might see me and mine on Katherine, the only thing I really cared about right now.

"No, I um... I-I gotta go. Uncle Jack's going to be back really soon and uh, yeah. So... That's that and um... Wow, I'm really making this awkward," Katherine laughed bitterly and then turned around to walk back up to the house, away from me. Once again.

And you call me dumb?

Growling, I thought a stream of profanities before taking off into the woods where I knew Jared would be.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's getting pretty hard to post. Like, I have a plot in my mind, but I can't get it out in words, and it doesn't ever seem satisfying enough.
I'm blaming it on the exams temporarily, because I swear they're using up all my brain juice. Thankfully, they're ending tomorrow. -dances-

ANYWAY. Tell me what you think, yeah? Whether you loved it or hated it, I'd love to know! :)