Status: Hiatus

Oh Baby, I'm a Fool For You

Questions

Image
I was watching Ben film a scene with the man playing his old professor. I have to admit, it was one boring scene to watch, but I had to be there just in case the wind blew Ben's hair askew, or something small like that.
Two arms came around my waist, and their hands locked in front of me. I could feel a chin rest on top of my head.
"Good morning, Nik," I said, knowing all too well who was holding me.
"Hello my love," he whispered, rocking us back and forth slowly.
To cut back on expenses, the accountants started doubling up people in hotel rooms. Without my knowing, Nik volunteered to have me stay in his room permanently until the end of filming. I'm not complaining!
"Shouldn't you be with Will?" I whispered.
"Should is the key word there," he answered. "I'd much rather be with my Kit-Kat."
I simply smiled and leaned back against him, savoring the body heat we were trading.
"Actually, to be honest with you, hon, I'm here on business."
"What's that, then?" I asked.
"I have to warn the director."
"Of?"
"Paparazzi," he whispered, releasing me only to move to my side and take my hand.
"What do you mean?" I asked, getting slightly nervous.
"Cut!" the director shouted, causing all of us to jump slightly. "That's it, we've got it!" he shouted. "Be on set seven in an hour, Ben."
"One second, love," he said, and kissed my hand before turning to walk towards the director. He exchanged a few brief words with him, causing his eyes to widen. Then, Nikolai returned to my side and took my hand once again. "Like I was saying, the paparazzi is coming. They're here to take photos of production to promote the film. I'm just warning you, cause they have license to publish any photo they take."
I groaned and leaned my head against his shoulder. "That's it. I'm becoming a recluse."
"Fine by me," he said, bowing his head slightly. "You and me can stay in bed all day and have some fun," he whispered, and nipped the tip of my ear.
"Nik!" I squeaked, jumping back.
Right into Ben. He caught me by the waist.
I looked up at him.
He was staring at me.
"Ben," I whispered, my face heating up.
"Hey mate, nice to see you again," Nik said, pulling me into his grasp. It was painfully obvious that Nikolai was not happy with Ben.
"You too," he answered, his eyes flickering down at me. "You two are together now, then?" he asked.
My stomach churned. "No, we-"
"We're sharing a room now," Nik interrupted. "To cut down on costs, that is. We're sharing a room and sharing a bed."
I'm not sure how it happened. I was picked up and thrown over Ben's shoulder, his arm around my legs as he ran from the set. My head roughly bobbed up and down, causing dizziness. "What's happening now?" I asked uneasily and unevenly.
A minute later, he stopped and set me down, and I instantly fell backwards.
"Kaya, what's going on with you and Nikolai?" he asked, resting his hands on his hips.
Furrowing my eyebrows, I shrugged. "Nothing."
"You're sharing a bed with him now, are you?" he asked, beginning to pace back and forth.
"Yeah, but-"
"So you're sleeping with him?"
I stood up and wiped the dirt off my pants. "In the same bed, yes. I'm not having sex with him." I took a step forward.
He breathed a sigh of relief, a smile appearing on his lips. "Good," he breathed, crouching close to the ground. "Good."
"If that's all," I said softly, and moved to walk past him.
"Wait, Kaya," he said, standing. "We have to talk."
"I have to get back," I said, my chest aching.
"No," he said, his hand launching out to grab my arm. "I don't like what's going on between us," he said, his grip increasing slightly.
"You're the one who broke up with me," I muttered.
"We don't have to act like awkward strangers," he said, avoiding my comment completely. "We can be friends, can't we?"
Friends. I don't know if I can just be his friend.
"What?" he asked when I didn't answer.
"Hm?"
"What are you thinking about?" he asked.
"I don't think-"
"Ky," he interrupted, sliding his hand down my arm to lace his fingers with mine, with no resistance from me. "I don't want to lose you."
I froze. I couldn't feel anything for a second before I could answer. "Then you shouldn't have broken up with me," I said in a monotone, yanking my hand from his.
"Ky!"
I sighed and wrapped my arms around myself.
"I could be like your second Nikolai," he said with a sad smile.
No one can be even remotely close to Nikolai. I don't want to lose Ben either, but seeing him actually hurt. I don't know what to do.
"Kaya," he murmured, stepping forward.
I stepped back. "Look, Ben," I started, "I've never had a real relationship before. I don't know how this whole breaking up thing is supposed to work. I just... I need time, okay?"
"Ky-"
"I have to get back," I said quickly, and before he could stop me again, I tore off towards set before he could catch me again.
...
"You're so cranky. It's boring."
Pursing my lips, I punched Nikolai lightly in the shoulder. "Can't I be cranky? Do I have to ask for your permission?" I snapped.
"Whoa," he said, putting his hands up defensively. "Don't take that tone with me, missy. Just because you and your prince are fighting doesn't mean you get to be all snippy with me."
Staring out at the naturally bright green grass before us, I leaned back against the bench. "I'm sorry," I murmured.
"Still thinking about Ben's offer to be friends?" Nikolai asked, taking an apple out from his bag.
I nodded. "I don't know what to do."
"Okay, what's got you so resistant to being near the guy you're hopelessly in love with?" he asked, and took a loud bite of his fruit.
"I don't want to be just friends," I grumbled, folding my arms across my chest. "I want to be more than that."
Nikolai leaned back, and putting his lips close to my ear, he sang, "Selfish."
I elbowed him, my face flushing. "Yeah, I am selfish. So what?"
He laughed, clearly entertained, and flung an arm around my shoulders. "That's so cute." Pulling on my shoulder, Nikolai pulled me down so my head was resting in his lap. His long, pale fingers immediately started braiding loose strands of my hair.
I glanced up at him, watching his content smile as he braided, occasionally stopping to take a bite of his apple. I studied his features carefully. Big green eyes, long eyelashes any girl would be envious of, a straight, sleek nose and a strong jaw line. I couldn't help but wonder how someone as handsome as him wasn't dating anyone. "You know," I started, averting my eyes from his, "you're actually pretty attractive."
His fingers ceased to move. "Kaya," he said lowly, "I know that." He chuckled, impressed with himself, and returned to the task at hand.
"I'm being serious," I said quietly, curling my toes inside my sneakers.
"Hey!" he shouted.
I jumped and looked up at him.
"No falling in love with me," he said, flicking my forehead.
"Ow!"
"I know I'm irresistible, but please, for our friendship's sake, restrain yourself," he scolded.
"Nik-"
"Now, stop obsessing over this gorgeous face of mine and think of what you're going to do with your prince. Hurry, hurry," he said, tapping my nose before gathering my hair in his hands, gently pulling at it.
I stared up at the blue sky, relaxing against my friend. I want to be friends with Ben. I would do anything to be near him. But I know that if we're friends I won't be able to stop myself from asking him to take me back. "Hey Nikolai," I said after about twenty minutes.
"Yes, my gorgeous gal pal?"
"I really don't have any reason not to trust Ben anymore, do I?" I asked, though I didn't want an answer. "I mean, we're a whole continent away from Jenna, and she wouldn't go this far to get him back, right?"
"It makes sense," he said, nodding.
"So I don't exactly have any excuse not to be his friend. I can do that much, right?"
"Hey! Do you need assurance for everything you think?" he teased, the familiar playful grin spreading across his face.
I scrunched up my face before sticking out my tongue at him. "You're my best friend, it's your job to reinforce my thinking."
"No," he disagreed, "you just want me to support whatever you're going to do, even though you already know exactly what you're going to do."
I rolled my eyes but looked away from him and up at the cloud-free sky. He was right. I already knew exactly what I was going to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
This week is all about nostalgia for me. A friend of mine was listening to that song Hey Juliet and it made me think of so many different things, so I've been going through old photos and songs just for fun. In fact, I saw the group that sang Hey Juliet when I was younger. They were playing at a park, and there were maybe thirty people watching. Clearly, it was on the bad end of their musical career.
Anyway, sorry about the large gap in postings. I meant to get a couple chapters up during spring break, but then my mom had surgery so I spent a majority of my time watching after her. So, I'm making up for it now. I hope you all like this chapter as much as I do. I don't know why, but to me, the relationship between Kaya and Nikolai is very precious to me. It's a relationship that I love to write about and one that I wish I had in my life. Writing their interactions makes me smile, and I can't help but love my fictional characters!
Without further ado, I thank my commenters!
CallusedSilk (Who is responsible for that lovely, beautiful banner at the top of the chapter. Did you see it? Did you, did you? She's awesome. Really. I think she's posted a comment for nearly every chapter I've posted. Anyway, she totally rocks!)
XxForever_JuliettexX
OutspokenChick
xMy Heart Is A Fistx
BrendonUrie
CaspianIsMyHomeboy (Don't worry, your banner shall make a comeback in the next chapter!)
Disa616
winddancerx17
teenagedream91
himynameisshann
Thanks to everyone, you guys are fantastic! Happy reading!
-Kari