Status: Hiatus

Oh Baby, I'm a Fool For You

Waking Up

Image

When I opened my eyes the next morning, all I could think about was the headache that was pounding at my skull. Groaning, I rolled onto my stomach and covered my head with my pillow.
"You're awake."
Rolling onto my back, I squinted my eyes. "Nik?"
He laughed and knelt on the bed next to me. "Guess again."
"Ben!" I squeaked, sitting straight up.
He simply smiled and held out a glass of water and a couple of small red pills.
I gratefully swallowed the medication. "I'm confused," I said honestly, setting the water on the nightstand next to the bed.
"Of course you are," he replied, shaking his head. "You don't remember anything from last night, do you?"
Pursing my lips, I leaned back against the pillows. I looked down and got even more confused. I was wearing one of Ben's t-shirts. "I went out drinking with Will," I started. "And..."
Ben's smile faltered. "Just so you know, I didn't change you into that," he said, gesturing to the shirt I wore.
I gripped the hem of the shirt and suddenly everything came flooding back to me.
"I'm sleepy," I groaned as Ben set me on my feet in his bathroom.
"I know, Kaya, but you can't go to bed covered in mud," he said gently. "Stay here." He disappeared for a moment, and when he came back he had a t-shirt and a pair of boxers in his hands. "Put these on and clean yourself up."
Stubbornly, I sank to my feet and leaned against the bathtub. "Too tired."
Ben crouched in front of me, setting the clothing to the side. "Come here," he murmured, and scooped me up in his arms before setting me down in the tub.
"What are you doing?" I asked sleepily. Suddenly, the water hit me. I squeaked and shut my eyes as the cold water pelted my skin. "Ben!"
"You stubborn drunk," he murmured.
"I still have my clothes on!" I complained.
"Two birds, one stone."
"What?"
"Kaya," he said, "can you finish up by yourself?"
I opened my eyes slightly and saw him standing over me, watching me carefully. "No," I muttered pathetically. My whole body felt heavy, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I could have fallen asleep in the tub, the water splattering against my skin, and I would have been perfectly happy.
Ben muttered something under his breath, then reached up, grabbing the shower head and detaching it from the wall mount. Bringing it close to me, he began spraying my body up and down with the warming water.
"Ben," I complained, shutting my eyes.
"Shush," he murmured, and continued to wash the mud off of me. A few minutes later, he lifted me from the tub and set me on the counter. "It's like taking care of a baby," he muttered under his breath.
"What?"
"Nothing," he insisted. "Can you change yourself?"
I just leaned against the mirror and squeezed my eyes shut. "I'll just sleep on the floor."
Ben's hands squeezed the sides of my face, forcing me to open my eyes. "If you don't change, I'm going to have to do it for you."
With a loud squeak, I pushed at his chest, jumping off of the counter. "Get out!" I exclaimed, pushing him towards the door hurriedly.
He just laughed and snatched a towel before walking out the door.
"Pervert!" I yelled. He just likes making fun of me... Jerk. But he's my jerk. At least, he used to be.
I quickly changed into the clothes Ben gave me and dried my hair with a towel before opening the bathroom door.
Ben was standing in the corner of the room, pulling a clean shirt over his head.
I flopped down onto the bed, pulling the thick blanket over me.
"Okay," Ben said slowly. "I'll just... Yeah."
"Where are you going?" I murmured. The bed smelled like him. It was like the scent was inviting me in, enfolding me.
"I'm going to sleep on the floor," he said simply.
"Don't be silly," I muttered. "The bed is big enough for two."
A long pause followed. Then, Ben said, "I don't think that's a good idea."
"Oh, come on," I grumbled.
"Kaya-"
"I won't bite."
"I really don't-"
"Please?" I was shocked at how my shook. I sounded pathetic. I sounded like I was begging him, like I was desperate for him to lay next to me.
Silence followed for a brief moment, and then the blankets over me were being peeled back. Ben slipped into bed next to be, but he kept himself on the edge of the bed. "Go to sleep, now," he said quietly.
I could feel a huge smile stretch across my face, and I sighed in relief. "'Kay," I said childishly, snuggling into the blankets. Through the darkness, I stared at his dim profile. His breathing was quick, as if he was nervous. Biting my lip, I scooted closer to him, curling up next to him.
"Ky-"
"I'm cold," I murmured against his shoulder. I slowly shifted so that my hands were wrapped around his wrist.
Ben rolled onto his side, facing me. His free hand lightly stroked my cheek, and then rested on my waist. "I am too."

I shook my head as a blush came across my face.
"You're fun when you're drunk," Ben teased.
"I really shouldn't do that anymore," I murmured, ashamed of myself.
"No, you shouldn't," he quickly agreed. "Especially not with Will. It never turns out well."
"Wait," I said slowly, confusion setting in. "What happened with Will?" I asked, turning to face Ben.
He raised his eyebrows. "You really don't remember?"
"No," I said, shaking my head. "What happened?"
Ben stood up and pushed his hair back behind his ears. "I'll let you figure that out for yourself," he said quickly.
"Ben-"
Just then, someone began banging on the door.
He turned around and walked to the door.
As soon as Ben opened the door, Nikolai came barging in, dressed in his typical skin-tight superhero t-shirt and bright, neon jeans.
"Hey," I greeted awkwardly.
Nikolai jumped onto the bed and sat in the gap of my crossed legs, his legs straddling my hips. He took my face between his hands and just stared at me, his eyes angry.
"What are you doing?" I asked, though it sounded like a jumble of random sounds.
"You are an idiot." He released my face only to put his arms around my shoulders and squeeze me.
I looked over at Ben in confusion.
Ben just shrugged, and scratched his nose.
"Nik," I said, awkwardly patting his back. "What's wrong?"
Nikolai pulled away from me and scooted off my lap. "You went drinking with Will last night," he said, "and he sort of... professed his love for you. In a way."
"What?" I squeaked. "We've gone over this before, I thought he got over it!"
"And then you knocked him down. And then he let you waltz into the pouring rain all on your own and I went looking for you but I couldn't find you! I was so worried," he said, his voice high and distressed. "I went to the bar and your phone was still on the bar and Will was mumbling about you and..." Nikolai pushed my shoulder gently. "You made me worry. Bitch," he grumbled, and pushed my shoulder again.
"Oh, sweetheart," I breathed, guilt plaguing me. I reached forward to hug him, but he got up from the bed.
"Well," he said, straightening his clothes, "I'm glad you're okay," he said in a deep voice. "Good to see you two getting along again." With that, he spun on his heel and quickly walked out of the hotel room.
I sighed and scooted to the end of the bed, letting my toes just barely hit the ground. "I know I've screwed up if even Nik is mad at me."
"He's not mad," Ben said gently, and sat next to me, stretching his arms out in front of him briefly. "He was just worried."
"Were you mad?" I asked quietly, staring down at my bare feet.
"I was worried, Ky." Ben slid off the bed, and after a brief moment I felt a hand on my knee.
I opened my eyes to see Ben crouching in front of me.
"I called you yesterday, Ky. All I heard was that you were drinking, and then I heard you telling Will to let you go. And that made me realize something." Ben moved his hand from my knee and squeezed my hands that sat in my lap. "I am a bloody idiot."
My head was spinning with confusion. "W-what?"
Ben stood up, and bent forward. His lips touched my forehead in a soft, loving kiss. He pulled backwards, eying me carefully.
I just blinked. I could still feel his lips on my skin.
"I'll see you later," he said quietly, and turned around, walking out of the room.
I blinked a couple more times before a wide smile spread across my face. A high pitched squeal escaped my lips and I fell back against the bed. I squealed like a hyper fangirl, squeezing a pillow to my chest. "He kissed me," I whispered to myself. "He kissed me!" I yelled happily. At that point, I didn't care that I had broken Will's heart once again. Ben had just kissed me, and that meant more to me than anything else in the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dear college semester number four: I KICKED YOUR ASS.
Yes, I am all done with college until fall, and you know what that means! It means that I'll be free to update more often! Yay!
This chapter makes me smile, just because I love writing Kaya when she's all drunk and stubborn. She's just more fun that way. Then again, it makes me a little sad because I wrote in Nikolai as being not his cheerful self. It's weird writing scenes with him being serious.
Anyway! I wanna thank all my lovely, wonderful commenters!
CallusedSilk (Banner maker of the chapter, woo!)
ATL Obsess
annabre
MyXBloodyXRomance
music4life_life4all
xMy Heart Is A Fistx
CaspianIsMyHomeboy
ontheedge91
winddancerx17
Fire_head
Disa616
TuckYou
teamRadke
So I still have to write the next chapter, and I've got a bit of the old writers block going on right now, but hopefully my free time will allow for more ideas to brew. Happy reading!
-Kari