Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

The Diner

“…And so, Columbus sailed from here to here in what year?”

Currently, my head was plopped down on the desk in the back of the class, paying no attention what-so-ever to Mrs. Green, the history teacher. She was big on history. She was one of those teachers that absolutely lovedtheir job. But just because she loved her job, doesn’t mean that we like to listen to her…Okay, fine. I don’t like listening to her. I couldn’t speak for everyone else. But she was a great person! Easy to talk to, but the subject she taught was the only downside…

“Miss Chambers?”

My head snapped up. Aw crap. What was the question? Mrs. Green looked down at me patiently then sighed after a moment and turned her back to me, walking back to the front of the class.

“Amy,” she said. “If you can’t keep your head up in my class, I’d like to politely ask you to visit the principal’s office and go tell them your story there. What do you say?”

I eyed her, brushing my long wavy brown hair out of my face and looked her dead in the eyes. “To that I say...May you please repeat the question?”

She smiled at me approvingly. “When did Columbus sail the ocean?”

“In 1492.”

She nodded then went back on talking to the class. Now, don’t get me wrong, just because I sit in the back of class and lay my head down does not mean that I’m a horrible kid. I just find history to be extremely boring, and I can’t keep my head up. In fact, just about all the teachers really like me.

Ring ring!

Everyone packed up their stuff and started heading out of class.

“Amy?” Mrs. Green asked right as I passed her desk.

I stopped and half smiled. “I’m really sorry, Mrs. Green, you’re a great teacher and all, but I really hate history…”

She waved her hand at me, dismissing my comment. “No, no, it’s not that; I completely understand that. I was just wondering if you’d like to do me a favor? I completely understand if you don’t want to, but you see, Jim and I are going out of town after school today and I need someone to walk my Retriever. I love Bird so much, and he loves his walks…”

A big wave of relief washed over me. I loved doing anything as long as long as it meant not going home. Plus, teachers asked me to do personal favors every once in a while. See? I told you they liked me. “Yeah, of course,” I said with a big smile.

She smiled back and handed me a key. “Thank you, Amy. This really means a lot to me. Oh, and it doesn’t matter what time.” We said our goodbyes and I left.

I was in my next class, Home Ec., when Austin Willis who was sitting next to me, turned to me. Right now, a small group of people were cooking while the rest of us did boring and useless book work. The definition of a fruit… How interesting!

“Hey, Amy,” he said.

I looked up from the book and into his bright blue eyes. Let me just say that Austin is a totally adorable guy! He’s on the skinny side, about 5’9, fair skin, has shaggy brownish hair, and blue eyes. His eyes were big but not too big and kind of mysterious. He was really sweet and cute, plus he was an AMAZING artist. I know, right? How much better could it get? But thing is, Austin seemed a little emoish. He can be really shy (adorable!) but he’s kind of emotional and…it can get a little awkward talking to him after a while.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“I went to watch the War of Silver yesterday and sat a couple rows in front of you...”

I blinked. Oh.

“And I just wanted to know what you did to that guy. I mean, one second he was all over you, then the next he was thrown down the stairs. He had you pinned down so I don’t quite understand how you managed to throw him-”

I cut him off and shook my head. “I didn’t. Another guy did…Cale. Speaking of which, did you recognize him? I don’t think I’ve ever seen him before…”

Austin frowned. “What are you talking about? There wasn’t another guy anywhere near you.”

“He sat next to me for the rest of the movie…It was dark, you probably couldn’t see that well.”

“It wasn’t that dark,” he muttered.

I ignored his comment and went back to my book. Why didn’t Austin see Cale? I mean, he was right there!How could someone not? I shook my head. It was dark.

After school, I got in my car and headed to the local Diner to have my weekly honey tea and chocolate cake. I was there so much that I knew everyone by name, and vice versa. The honey tea was smooth, hot, warm; and the cake was always fresh, moist, soft, and DELICIOUS! I could die for their chocolate cake. It was…amazing didn’t even describe it.

“Afternoon, Amy,” Rick called from behind the counter.

I took a seat on a stool and smiled at him. “How are things going today?”

He shrugged and started making my tea. “Same as always. How was school? Anything fun happy this week?”

Rick was practically the father I always wanted. He was nice, concerned, everything a good father should be. He treated me like his own daughter. As for the rest of the Diner staff, we were all family.

“I think I met someone,” I said taking a sip of my tea. The warm liquid ran soothingly down my throat.

Rick raised his eyebrows? “You thinkyou met someone? It may be me, but I don’t quite understand that.”

I rolled my eyes and told him about the previous night at the theater. “He was so amazing…like I can’t even describe the feeling I had when I looked at him. I felt like puking, to be honest. But it was a good feeling of puke… But who am I kidding? I don’t know his last name or even where he lives. I’ll probably never see him again.”

By now, the entire staff was surrounded around me, listening to my tale. The women were fanning themselves.

“You shoulda tackled that man, sweetie,” said Martha, a big woman whom I considered my mother.

I laughed. “Then I’d definitely never see him again.”

She shrugged and went back to work. “Well, it’s what I woulda done.”

I took a big bite out of my fabulous cake. “And we all wonder why you’re still single…”

She smirked at me and left.

As I finished the cake, paid for the food, and started leaving, I suddenly felt a cold shiver run through my body. It was weird and strangely familiar, but I couldn’t quite place it. I shook my head and left the Diner. Probably just a gust of cold air from the AC.
♠ ♠ ♠
17 readers and 6 subscribers! And that was just the first chapter! You can't believe how incredibly happy that makes me :D

Extra SUPER thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!