Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

Go Away...

It was eleven o’clock when I drove up to the house and parked in the driveway. Dad’s vehicle was gone, and I just assumed he was out drinking. I got out of the car, went in the house, and then headed up to my room. Once up there, I stripped off all my clothes and headed to take a shower. Maybe that was all I needed. Just a nice, hot shower… Psh, yeah right.

Cale was engaged and there was nothing I could do about it.

As the hot droplets fell on the top of my head, I closed my eyes and just let my thoughts roam freely. What was I supposed to do now? What could I do? Maybe I should fight for him. I could win…right? We were supposed to be soul mates. True love conquers all.

Or maybe I should just do what Allen suggested. Choose Austin and forget about Cale. I shook my head. I could never forget Cale, but I could pretend to forget him. I could pretend that he was just an imaginary friend that I happened to have strong feelings for…

I turned off the shower, stepped out, and got dressed in a pair of black sweats with a tight grey T-shirt. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth, and then stared at my reflection in the mirror.

Red stains were trailing down my cheeks, my eyes looked weary and tired, and I was pale. I looked sad. I sighed and headed into my room. I flopped down on my bed and closed my eyes. Sleep was calling me. I could hear it whispering my name, drawing me to it. And I gladly walked towards it.

TINK!

I opened my eyes slowly to little slits. Perhaps I was just hearing things…

TINK! TINK!

I opened my eyes all the way and sat up. The window. The sound was coming from the window. Slowly, I got off my bed and proceeded to the window. What if it was a peeping tom or something though? No…that wouldn’t be right. A peeping tom wouldn’t make noises to let you know he was there.

I got to the window and brushed the curtain aside. Down twenty feet on the ground outside was Austin. He had a handful of tiny rocks and dropped them when he saw me. He was wearing jeans and a small black hoodie, and his hair was slightly damp as if he had just taken a shower too. I unlatched the window and slid it up.

“What?” I asked. There was no need to whisper; Dad wasn’t home. But still, there were the neighbors…

Austin smiled up to me. “But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks?”

I sighed, not really sure what to think. I was trying to go to sleep to forget about Cale and everything else complicated, but here was Austin, outside my window, quoting Romeo and Juliet. What was a girl supposed to do?

“Austin,” I said tiredly. “It’s past midnight. What are you doing here?”

He frowned. “Why, my lady, I am here to bid you a good night!”

I held up my hand and waved. “Oh, well, good night then.” I pulled my head back in the window and started to shut it, but he stopped me. Gosh darn it! All I wanted to do was sleep!

“Amy!” He called. He took a few steps forward. “You’re not mad at me, are you? You don’t know what it’s like to be in the same room with your rival, both competing for…you. You can’t think straight, you know?”

I sighed and leaned back out the window. “Austin, I can’t do this right now. This has been a rough night.” My voice cracked at the end. The more I thought about what happened – Cale and mine time at the Play Center, the fight, the engagement, everything – it made my heart ache. I couldn’t stand it. I just wanted to sleep and forget about it.

Austin eyed me. “Amy, are you okay? Did something else happen? I didn’t think the fight was that big of a deal… Really, I didn’t know.”

I swallowed back the tears. “At The Diner, I heard some… news.” I shook my head. “Look, Austin, I really don’t want to talk about it right now. Especially to you. I just want to sleep, okay?”

“Amy, please tell me. It will make you feel better. It makes me sad to see you hurting.” God. Persistent little bugger wasn’t he?

“Austin, no, it doesn’t really involve you.” I pulled back in and reached my hands up to slide the window down.

“If it involves you, it’s my business, Amy! I have a right to know!” His voice was pleading and demanding, but still kind. He cared about me. That much was clear.

I gripped the top of the window and closed my eyes to keep the tears from falling. “He’s engaged.”

And then I slammed the window shut.

I shut the curtains without looking out to Austin, and then sauntered over to my bed. I pulled back the covers and slid under. It was cold underneath. Cold and empty. I was used to having him next to me. I was used to listening to hisvoice talking me to sleep. I was used to his smell and his steady heart beat.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and cried. Again. I was doing that a lot lately. But what else could I do? If I was lucky, maybe I’d cry myself to sleep in at least two hours… Maybe I wouldn’t dream of him either… I wouldn’t be able to handle it.

It would only cause more pain.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's so short and so lately posted :(

Thanks for everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really appreciate it!

I'd just like say how incredibly happy I am for all the comments I got on the last chapter :D Thanks guys!