Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

Birds and Fish... Can Never Be Together

“So, human emotions are felt in the mind…” Mrs. Green went on. Today, the talk in English was Philosophy. More specifically, emotions.

One girl in the front raised her hand. “But everyone knows that love is felt with the heart.”

Oh god. Why did we have to be talking about this stuff today? Forget love. Love sucks.

“Well, Jane, that’s an opinion. Some people believe all emotions are just an illusion of the mind, while others believe that emotions, such as love, are felt with the heart. It is just a matter of what you believe. But no matter what you believe, love is definitely the greatest emotion of all.”

I groaned.

“Yes, Amy? Is there something you wish to share with us?”

At first, I wasn’t going to say anything, but now… “Who even says love exists? I mean, can’t love just be an emotion of really, really liking someone?”

Mrs. Green frowned. “What do you mean?”

I sighed. “Love doesn’t last forever. If love really did exist, wouldn’t it last forever?”

“Sweetie, love can last forever. It’s just a matter of if you find your soul mate or not.”

I felt my body stiffen at that. Cale and I might have been soul mates, but then again, we might not have been. There might have been no reason that I was able to see him except that I was a freak. I was lonely at the time, I had no friends, and my life was headed in the completely wrong direction. And I needed someone to help me turn it around, so Cale showed up… Yeah, right.

RING! RING!

I gathered up my stuff and hustled out the door. I quickly walked to my locker, threw in the books, and started to Home Ec. Right before I got to the door, someone yelled at me. I turned around and saw Katie bouncing down the hall and over to me. Remember Katie? The brown haired, blue eyed geek?

“Yeah?” I asked surprised. What could she possibly want to talk to me for?

She smiled at me. “I was just wondering who you’re going to prom with? It’s this Friday, you know?”

I blinked. Oh yyyeeaah. Prom was in three days. “I don’t know. Probably no one-”

“She’s going with me,” a voice said behind me. Before I could turn around to see who it was, they flung their arm over my shoulder and grinned down at me. Austin.

Katie raised her eyebrows at me in a question, but also with an obvious smirk. “Austin and Amy, huh? Oh! Your names both start with A’s! That’s perfect! Easy to remember.”

“Uh, easy to remember for what?” I asked confused.

“For the prom king and queen candidates of course! Austin and Amy! It’s brilliant! Your names sound so great together!” And with that she skipped off towards who knows where. Meanwhile, I stood there stunned.

“But I don’t want to be a nominee,” I said quietly as if Katie was still there.

Austin chuckled and directed me into the room. “Come on, the bell’s fixing to ring.” He led me over to my seat and I slid in. Instantly, my head dropped to the table. I just wanted to bang it on the hard surface and keep doing it until I either a) passed out or b) died. And for the record, I’d prefer option b.

“Amy, come on, don’t be so sad.”

I raised my head slowly and glared at him. “I have all the reason in the world to be sad.” I tilted my head. “Angry, really. I just found out that Cale is engaged. How the fuckwould you feel?!”

“It’s really not that bad…” he said distantly.

“Okay then, let me repeat myself because obviously you didn’t hear me correctly. Cale is engaged! Engaged! Can you believe that?! And it’s not like he has a say in the matter either because the ghost council has forced it upon him! There is no way he can get out of it!” I took a deep breath. “Do you hear what I’m telling you?!” Okay, maybe I laid it on a little too hard.

Austin looked slightly hurt. “So, you’re saying that you’d marry him?”

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I could see myself with Cale… maybe. Perhaps if there was some way we could work out with him being a ghost. Perhaps if there was a possible way for us to be together, then yes. “No. I’m too young,” was my witty reply.

“Amy, you know what I meant. I know I’m not as good looking as he is, or as smart, or as fun as he is, but I’m trying my best. I don’t want to lose you.” He reached forward and took my hand in his. “Amy, forget about him. Let us be together. Give us a chance.”

He reminded me of Allen. Allen wanted me to forget Cale too. He wanted me to move on and be with someone like Austin.

But there was one problem.

I wasn’t, and never would be, in love with Austin.

I took my hand from him. “Austin, I’m sorry, but I can’t be with you.” I meant it, I seriously did. “You’re a great guy, better than you give yourself credit for. But I’m not right for you. I’m not your soul mate, your true love, or your significant other. You know that just as well as I do. You’re a bird and I’m a fish.”

Austin stood up and looked down at me darkly. “You and Cale are just as much as a bird and fish as you and me. You’re a human, Amy, and Cale’s not. YOU and HIM are two completely different species, not you and me.”

By now, everyone in the room was staring at us. But you know what? Fuck them.

I held my head up high and proud. “He and I are soul mates. We’re meant to be.”

Austin flung his arms out wide with rage. “He’s fucking engaged! He’s going to marry someone that is not you! But I’m here. I’m here, free, begging at your feet to take me. What kind of sign are you looking for?!”

My head dropped. What if Cale did marry Isis? What would I do then? Austin would have been right. “I’m sorry, Austin. I can’t say yes to you.”

“A ghost and a human. HA! What do you think is going to happen with you two? Are you two just going to forget about that whole problem and pretend that you are having a perfectly normal relationship? I am human, Amy! And so are you! We’re perfect for each other!”

I kept my head down and squeezed my eyes to keep the tears from falling.

Austin headed for the door. “If you ever change your mind, I’ll still be here. My feelings for you will never change.” He left the room quietly.

I slowly opened my eyes and wet puddles quickly appeared on the floor below me. If I couldn’t have Cale, then I didn’t want anyone. Ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope everyone had an awesome day! :D

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really, really appreciate it!!!