Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

Isis

I groaned and rolled over on my bed to where I was no longer facing the wall. I opened my eyes lazily and looked at the clock. 10:43 A.M. I closed my eyes and allowed my mind to wander. I didn’t want to get up. I didn’t want to do anything. The previous night I purposely forgot to set my alarm because I didn’t feel like going to school. Not that anything was going on in school anyways. All that was left was the prom and then graduation soon after.

I sighed and slid out of bed. I grabbed a pair of black wind pants and a fitting red T shirt, and then went to the bathroom. I changed, and then brushed my hair and teeth. After that, I quickly put on my daily light makeup and went back into the room. I grabbed a pair of socks, put them on, and then started to put on my converse.

What was I going to do today? I skipped school, and I didn’t even know where I was going to go. I was pathetic.

After I was dressed, I headed down stairs and was out the door. Dad was still gone. If he wasn’t home at night, then he normally wouldn’t show back up for a few days. Not that it bothered me or anything, though.

Neighbors waved at me as I walked down the sidewalk. They were out either getting their newspaper or drinking their coffee on the front porch. There was this one old couple on their front porch drinking coffee and reading the newspaper; meanwhile, they were holding hands. The old man’s face was stern as he read the paper, and the wife’s was soft and kind as she crocheted. As much as I didn’t want to admit it, part of me envied them.

Anyways, I continued walking down the sidewalk until I eventually came to the park. It wasn’t full of people, but it wasn’t empty either. The play center, however, was empty because all the kids were in school. I strolled over to the play swings and sat in the middle one. Memories of me and Cale in the park came rushing to my mind.

There was the time when he brought me Bird after she ran away, the time I watched him as Austin sat with me with me on a nearby swing, there was the time when we just talked and walked, and the time when the old lady yelled at us, and also the time when we both gazed up at the stars together one cold, late night.

There would never be anymore memories like that. Cale was engaged. He was getting married.

“Amy?” a soft voice asked.

I stopped swinging and slowed to a stop. In front of me was Cale. He had on nice blue jeans, old, beaten up converse, and a muddy colored green shirt.

“Cale,” I said startled. “What are you…” My words drifted away as a girl appeared next to him. She was about the same height as me, had super pale luminescent skin, long white blond hair, pink pouty lips, and the clearest blue eyes I’d ever seen. She was wearing a white skirt that went to her knees with white ballet slippers, a light blue tank, and a short jean jacket.

Once my eyes fully took her in, I knew it was completely over. She was the most gorgeous woman I’d ever seen in my entire life. There was no way in hell I could compete against her. She was practically a goddess.

“Hi,” she said politely. “I’m Isis. It’s really nice to meet you.” She extended a hand towards me. When I didn’t shake her hand, she withdrew her it. Her face looked hurt and a little upset.

“Amy,” Cale said. “There’s something I need to talk to you about…”

I blinked and just stared at him. I didn’t know what I should be feeling at the moment. Here I was with the guy I had unexplainable feelings for, with none other than his beautiful fiancé. What could I say? Fuck you? Fuck off?

“Amy,” he said again. “Please say something.”

I looked him dead in the eye and replied firmly. “Go. Away.” An expression of hurt crossed his face, and to be honest, it hurt me too.

“Come on, Cale,” Isis said. She tugged on his shirt sleeve and a pang of jealousy stabbed me. “Lets just go.”

“Hold on, Isis,” he said, turning back to me. “I need to talk to you.”

I looked away from his eyes and at other people around us. “There’s nothing to talk about.”

“I need to explain.”

“There’s nothing to talk about!”

He took a step forward and started to reach his hand out to me, but it fell quickly to his side. He couldn’t touch another girl. He couldn’t touch me because Isis, his fiancé, was here. “Don’t let it end like this,” he whispered pleadingly. Isis tugged on his shirt again and he brushed her off. “Isis, can I have a few minutes please? I promise I won’t be that long.”

She crossed her arms and glared at him. “Why? What could you possibly have to say to her that you can’t say in front of me?”

“Yeah, Cale,” I mocked. “Whatever you have to say to me you can say in front of her. I mean, after all, she is your fiancé. And if you don’t want to, well, I guess you can just leave then.”

“Oh!” Isis chirped. “Cale, darling! We have the wedding rehearsal in fifteen minutes! We have to get going!”

I could feel Cale’s grey eyes staring at me, but I refused to look back. I didn’t want him to see all the pain that was bottled up inside. I didn’t want him to know how weak I was and how frightened I was; I was frightened because I didn't know what I'd do without him.

“Cale!” Isis demanded, throwing back her blond hair. “Come on! We have to go NOW!” She took his hand and began dragging him away. “Oh, and Amy, nice to meet you.” She sent me an extra cheery smile, and then started pulling Cale away again. I knew he was still looking at me. And I wanted to look back, I really did, but I couldn’t make myself. After a few moments, they dissolved into the air together.

Once they were gone, I looked up at the now grey sky and closed my eyes. A splash of cold water splattered on my cheek and ran down the side of my face. It was raining.

Was God crying?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sad, but happy news! The story is coming to a close! I figure there are at least four more chapters left, but I haven't written them yet, so you never know.

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really, really appreciate it!!!