Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

Prom

I took a deep breath and entered the cafeteria at approximately seven o’clock p.m. on Friday night. I was wearing a long flowing white gown that I borrowed from Martha. Half of my long brown hair was pulled back, but all of it was curled around my shoulders and down my back. I had on a thick gold necklace, multiple gold bracelets, and gold high heels. All provided by the wonderful Martha.

When I entered the prom, all heads immediately turned to me with their mouth wide open, gaping at me. It felt weird – this kind of attention. Martha insisted on me looking like a Greek goddess, which I did. I looked like a beautiful freaking goddess. Why am I complaining, you ask? Well, it’s because it made me feel like I was trying to compete for Cale. Like maybe if I was pretty like Isis, then he’d want me. But that’s not the message I wanted to send. I wanted Cale to want me for me. Not because I looked pretty.

But who was I kidding? Cale might not even show up tonight. Or Saturday, or Sunday… or even Monday. And if he didn’t show up by Monday evening, I’d probably never see him as a free man again. He’d be married.

I raised a hand to shield my eyes as a bright light shone in my face. Geez, was I that interesting?

“Oh, my gosh!” Katie came yelling up to me. She had on a long blue strapless dress that looked amazing on her, of course. She took my hand and began dragging me off. “Come on before someone decides to rape you.”

The cafeteria was a pretty large area. On the ceiling were black drapes going from the wall to the center of the ceiling where a disco ball was hanging. The walls were covered in black paper with Arabian decorations here and there. Along the walls were multiple round tables where people were sitting at and talking. And in the center of the dance floor was a large mass of jumping people that only an idiot would go in.

Katie pulled me into the bathroom were only two girls were fixing their makeup. Once the door closed, it blocked out most of the music.

“Thanks,” I muttered.

She shot me an award-winning smile. “You’re welcome. You looked like you were fixing to faint in there, so I thought I should save you.” I weakly smiled at her. “So, I noticed you didn’t come with Austin…”

I sighed and shrugged. “We had a falling out.”

Her eyebrows rose. “Really? I thought you guys were really close or something. I thought y’all were fixing to get, you know, together.”

“No,” I replied simply. I didn’t feel like talking. I wanted to just get this night over with. I know I was stressing about Cale, but still. This was my senior prom. I didn’t want to miss it.

“Oh, well, he seemed pretty distant earlier. You should talk to him.”

I rested my hands on the sink and looked down. My brown curls fell forward. Austin. I didn’t want to talk to him. It was all his fault I wasn’t with Cale. If he had never kissed me that night, Cale and I would be together.

“Hey!” Katie protested. “You can’t be in here! This is the girls’ bathroom!”

I quickly lifted my head up and turned around. I don’t know why, but part of me was hoping it would be Cale. “Austin.” He was wearing a nice black tux and looked pretty amazing. I’m sure all the girls were over him.

“Amy.” He looked me up and down, and then grinned. “You look beautiful.”

I felt ashamed of myself when the heat rose to my cheeks. “Thanks,” I muttered. “You look good too.”

His face lit up at the comment. “Would you like to dance?”

I hesitated. Should I? What if Cale arrived tonight and saw me dancing with Austin? But also, this was my prom night. I didn’t want to go the whole night without dancing because what would be the fun or point in that? I nodded. “Sure.” He held out an arm and I took it. We headed out of the girls’ bathroom with Katie smiling happily behind us.

Austin led us over to the middle of the dance floor and placed his arms around my waist as a slow song came on. I carefully put my around his neck.

“I thought you were mad at me?” I asked.

He shrugged and smirked. “I was, but then I got to thinking. If you love someone, don’t let them go.”

I felt my heart rise in my throat. “Oh,” was all I said.

“And I figured that tonight I’d be your prince charming. I’d sweep you off your feet and you’ll forget all about your ghost.”

My ghost.

“Did I already mention how beautiful you look tonight?”

I sighed. “Yes, Austin, you did.”

He smiled and pulled me closer. I had the desire to pull away, but I didn’t. Instead, I placed my head on his chest and his put his on the top of mine. I could feel the heat radiating off his, and I could hear his heart beating.

“Is it working?” he asked suddenly.

“Is what working?” My voice was muffled against his shoulder.

He chuckled. “My charm. Are you being swept off your feet yet?”

I winced. “Austin-”

He pulled away from me and looked down into my eyes. “No, don’t say it. Lie to me, telling me that you’re falling for me.”

Tears were welding in my eyes. “Austin, I’m not going to lie to you…”

“Say you love me.”

I took a deep breath to keep the tears from falling over the edge. “No, I can’t.”

“Look me in the eyes, Amy, and tell me that you have no romantic feelings for me whatsoever. Look me in the eyes, and tell me that you don’t love me.”

I pulled away from his grasp and started walking away and off the dance floor. I headed outside and out into the parking lot. I wasn’t planning on going anywhere; I just needed some fresh air. I walked over to my car and leaned against it with my eyes closed.

“Amy,” Austin said. I opened my eyes and stared at him. He walked over to me and took my hands in his. His sparkling green eyes bore into mine. “I love you,” he whispered.

I squeezed my eyes shut and put my head down. “I’m sorry, Austin, but you know that I don’t feel the same. Why can’t you just accept that?”

“Because I believe you are denying your feelings for me. I think you want to love me, but you’re just scared.” He took my chin in his hand and lifted my head up. Our faces were only an inch apart and I could feel his hot breath on my lips.

“You’re wrong,” I whispered. I couldn’t look away from his eyes. They were drawing me in. His face was soft and vulnerable, pleading for me to love him. “You’re wrong,” I whispered again.

And then his lip crashed down on mine.

At first, I didn’t respond to him kissing me. His lips were soft and pleading against mine. His hand went from holding my hands to around my head, keeping my lips on his. After a moment or two, I kissed back…except I kept my hands at my waist.

Austin intensified the kiss and pushed me up against the car. He groaned against my lips.

After a minute, Austin pulled back, leaving us both gasping for air. He had a huge grin on his face, but I knew I didn’t. I knew my face was blank. My lips weren’t tingling how they should be after you receive an amazing kiss from your soul mate, my knees weren’t weak, and my head wasn’t foggy.

“I knew you loved me,” Austin smirked.

I raised my eyebrows at him and pushed him away from me. “No. I don't love you. I never have and never will.”

He frowned. “Then why did you kiss me back?”

I ignored his question, got in my car, and drove away silently.

I didn’t kiss Austin back because I wanted to, or because I realized that I loved him. I kissed him back because I had to make sure that I didn’t have feelings for him.

I always thought that I had to choose between Cale and Austin, but really, there was never a choice to be made. It was him all along.

It was always Cale.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this story will end on Tuesday, meaning only two more chapters left :(

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!

This story has become a major hit, and I can't even explain how sad I'll be to see it finished. It makes me almost cry just at the thought of it being over. But, every story must end some time or another.
As for my next story, suggestions and ideas are more than welcomed! Thanks so much!!!