Status: Completed

Runs in the Family

Peanut Butter

“How was the movie?” Ryan asks as soon as Bronx and I walk through the door.

“Um… It was…” I speak trying to think of what to say.

“She fell asleep.” Bronx says with a big smile on his face and walks past me into the living room and then to the kitchen.

“Like always,” Ryan smiles and pats my head.

“I don’t always fall asleep; only when the movie is boring.” I say proudly and walk to the kitchen where Bronx is preparing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

“Yum, make me one too.” I hear Brendon say as he walks in covered in paint.

“And while you’re at it, you can make me one too.” I say with a big grin.

“And then we can all go to the backyard and make some posters and banners.” Ryan says as he gets a cup from the cabinet.

“Sounds like a plan.” Bronx and I say at the same time.

I look at him just to see him staring back at me with a small smile; I smile back and feel my cheeks starting to feel hot.

Brendon coughs causing me to look away. “Why don’t we start heading outside?” He says and I follow him, Ryan right behind us.

“You two will make a cute couple.” Brendon says in a low voice.

“He’s my best friend.” I say defensively.

“And that makes a relationship last, right Brendon?”

“Right you are Ry.” Brendon says smiling as he takes Ryan’s hand and gives him a small peck on the lips.

“Get a room.” I murmur and sit down on the grass staring at the white poster board, waiting to be painted on.

I look at my parents and smile to myself, I love the way they could have a whole conversation without a single word being said, they understand each other by just looking into each other’s eyes, and they smile knowing nobody could ever separate them.

I sigh and look at the green grass and start to wonder whether one of them ever loved my mom or if I was just a mistake they had to deal with.

“Don’t be sad.”

I look up at just to see Bronx holding a plate with sandwiches.

I swallow the bulk of sadness in my throat and put on a fake smile, “I’m not sad,” I reply.

“I can see the tears forming in your eyes.” He tells me as he sits down next to me.

“It’s nothing,” I mumble and stare at my hands.

“Here, I made you a special one.”

I look at Bronx and take the sandwich he’s holding. “A special one?” I question.

“Yeah, peanut butter and honey, your favorite.”

“Thank you Bronx.” I whisper and give him a kiss on the cheek; he smiles as he takes my hand and squeezes it as if trying to tell me that everything was going to be okay.

I squeeze back as if replying ‘I know’.

“Are we going to make posters or what?!” Brendon exclaims, as he and Ryan sit on the grass.

“You bet we are!” Bronx exclaims enthusiastically and lets go of my hand.

I take a bite of sandwich and look up to see Ryan looking at me with the look he always gives me when he knows I’m feeling a bit off, the kind of look only a father would know when their child is in need. And for a moment I agreed with Bronx, perhaps Ryan’s my real dad.

“I think I should start heading home.” Bronx announces standing up.

“Don’t you want to stay for dinner?” Ryan asks as he stands up as well.

“No, I promised my mom I would be home for dinner, maybe next time.”

“Nice seeing you Bronx, and thanks for your help.”

“No problem Mr. Ross.” Bronx replies.

“I’ll walk you to your car.” I say standing up and stretching my legs.

“Oh, I almost forgot, would it be okay for Amelia to come over for dinner on Friday night?”

“I think it would be great.” Ryan says with a smile and sits back down on the grass.

I walk next to Ryan to the front yard and up to his car.

“Thanks for taking me out of school today.” I tell him with a smile.

“It was the least I could do.”

“I’m sorry for getting mad at you for something that utterly stupid and unreasonable.”
“It’s understandable; I’ve let you down a couple of times.”

I shrug telling him it was all in the past. “I’m really glad you’re back.”

“Me too,” He says and gives me a hug.

He pulls away and kisses my cheek making me blush in the darkness.

“See you on Friday then?”

“Yeah, I’ll pick you up at six, and I won’t be late.”

“You better not.” I tease him.

He gets into his car and drives away. I sigh and turn around heading back into the house just to see Ryan and Brendon putting the things away.

“What’s for dinner?” I ask as I lean against the wall.

Brendon and Ryan exchange looks, “Chinese?” Brendon asks to no one in particular.

“Perfect, I love Chinese.” I respond.

“Then go do your homework while Ryan and I go buy it.”

I groan and walk off to my room taking out my Chemistry and History notebook from my backpack and begin to do my homework.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a very long time and I apologize.
I am really sorry about the long wait.
And I'm planning on finishing this story on chapter 10.