Status: Done!

Love Hides (in the Strangest Places)

14. Wishful Sinful

It’s been two months since Jim walked out that door. Robby, Ray, and John were still my friends, and they knew not to mention Jim. I was sitting at my desk at the offices of Rolling Stone magazine when Mr. Wenner approached my desk. I’d quickly become one of the frequent writers at the magazine.

“Elanor?” Mr. Wenner interrupted my type writer.

“Yes, Mr. Wenner?” I asked, turning around.

“Elanor, how many times have I told you to call me Jann?”

“Jann, what would you like?”

“We need you to go to Paris and cover an event for us.”

My heart stopped, Jim was in Paris.

“Will you be able to do that?” Jann asked me.

“Yes.” I snapped back to reality, “No problem.”

“That’s my girl.” Jann said, “You’ll be heading out tomorrow, go home early.”

“Thanks Jann.”

“See you later.”

I packed up my stuff and headed home.

The next morning I found myself on a plane to Paris, trying not to think of Jim.

For four days I was in Paris doing great at not thinking of “him” when as I was walking along a lonely street I saw that familiar dark head of hair from a distance. I stopped in my tracks and stared until he stopped and stared back at me. I desperately wanted to run to him and have him hold me but I only stood, scared that he might not love me the same way that I had always loved him. For a few minutes we stood there, staring at each other until finally I got up the courage to move. Only my movement was a swift turn and a quick run back to my hotel.

People stared as I ran through the lobby and into the elevator. Once the doors had opened I ran to my room and quickly shut myself inside, breathing quickly, and tears fighting to escape.

For five minutes I stood like that against the door until I heard quick and nervous knocking. A voice spoke out, “Housekeeping.” I knew it wasn’t Housekeeping, but I opened it anyway. And there he stood.

“Elanor.” He whispered.

I still fought the urge to jump into his arms. I didn’t need to do anything, though. Jim grabbed me and kissed me hungrily, capturing my mouth with his. The door shut behind him and I was shoved against the wall as Jim picked me up and I wrapped my legs around him.

“Jim.” I moaned, remembering last time, as he kissed my neck.

“James.” He corrected me, looking me straight in the eye.

“James.” I whispered happily.

Jim kissed me again and carried me over to the bed. We fell on to it and quickly began tearing at each other’s clothes. Our love was fumbled, urgent, and hurried.

Afterwards we looked at each other. We didn’t talk, only looked, and then fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning Jim was gone and once again I felt alone.