Status: Done!

Love Hides (in the Strangest Places)

8. Father, I Want To Kill You; Mother, I Want To . . .

It’s been about two months since that day in Mr. Donnegal’s office. It is now the day of my graduation. I had told Jim and the guys about it but they weren't sure if they were going to be able to make it. I wasn’t pleased to see my real family in the crowd of parents. They had never supported me; they were kind of just there all through out my childhood. They’d never done anything special, or cared to learn about me. It was almost as if they had had a child because they thought it would be adding to the collection of junk they already had and also didn’t care about. I actually wondered why they even showed up at all.
“Elanor Rosser.” My favourite teacher, my new Lit teacher, Mr. Kenworth said at the podium. I walked up to him, we smiled brightly at each other and I got my diploma. But nothing made me happier when I caught sight of that familiar mat of dark hair. He’d come, they’d all come I noticed. I raced off the stage and into Jim’s arms, as he kissed my lips through a smile. I hugged each of the guys and then returned to my fellow classmates, getting ready to throw my hat. And what do you know; Jim caught my hat and was now wearing it, pushing his bushel of hair in his face. I giggled at how silly he looked. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see the two people I dreaded seeing. Mother and father.
“Congratulations darling.” My mother said through a fake smile.
“Yes, good job.” My father grumbled.
Jim came and stood beside me, the rest of the band behind me.
“Why did you come?” I asked my parents.
“Don’t be silly, dear, we came to watch our little girl grow into a woman.” My mother cooed.
“Don’t pull that shit with me. You came to tell me how much of a disappointment I am, how much I ruined your pathetic little lives."
Jim squeezed my hand.
“You shouldn’t be hanging around people of their kind.” My father said, eyeing Jim and the band.
“Their sort, what is their sort?” I asked.
“Musicians, they party, and drink, and do drugs, and get into all kinds of trouble.”
“Really honey, I think you could do better.” My mother offered.
“Well maybe I don’t want to do better. And for your information, these are some of the most amazing people I have ever known. You don’t known them, you don’t even know me. I love this man and nothing you can say will change that.”
I grabbed Jim’s hand harder and led them away. Jim held me and I quickly calmed down.
“Thank you for coming guys.” I said to them.
“We wouldn’t have missed it for the world.” Robby smiled.
I don’t know what it is about Robby Krieger, but he is such a lovable guy. His enthusiasm and happiness is so contagious. When he smiles, I smile.