That's Just the ABC of Growing Up

"I'll kill you and your cat."

Standing behind the large and dark oak tree in his back yard, Nate's heart races like the boogie-man were after him. Every once in awhile he looks back and forth to see if anyone is there. He hears foot steps and he slams with lips together in order to muffle his breathing from being heard. He peeks his head out to look at who was causing the noise. He giggles a bit when he sees Alex looking around, dumbfounded. He gasps when Alex looks over straight at him. He quickly ducks his head from being seen.

"I heard you, Nate! I'm gonna get you!" Alex yells out in his army voice.

Alex walks away and Nate can't tell where the enemy is anymore. All of a sudden, the enemy jumps out from behind him and yells "Boo!" Nate gasps and his heart pounds against his chest. He giggles with glee as he runs away from the tree, trying with all his might not to get caught by Alex's hand. Alex runs up behind him and tackles him. They both fall in a heap of limbs and giggles. "You have been defeated! I'll kill you and your cat." Alex says in a fake German accent. Nate rolls over. He stands. "Awh. I got dirt on my pants!" Nate says brushing his knees off. Alex grins and stands up. "You're a pussy." He tells Nate. Nate's jaw drops and he covers his mouth. "Ooh! You just said a swear, Alex."

Alex lets out a war cry and he pushes his self and Nate onto the ground once again. "What was that for?" Nate whines. Alex shushes him with his finger. He puts out a hand in front of Nate. "Are we on the same side now?" There goes the German accent Alex can do so well. Nate hesitates but then he nods and shakes his hand. They both pull out their army hats from their pockets. With their hats securely on, Alex pulls out his water gun. "I can see the enemy, soldier." Alex whispers. "On the count of three, we shoot. Eins, zwei, drei! GO!"

Alex presses the trigger several times, spraying the squirrel in front of them. The rodent scurries away, wet and angered. They stand up and jump in victory. "We won!" Nate yells. "The enemy has been defeated!" Alex adds. Once they've settled down, Nate's tummy rumbles. "I think my mommy is making lunch." He says. "Oh, good!" Alex says. They both run inside through the sliding doors in the kitchen. "Woah, woah. Where's the fire, boys?" Nate's mom asks, stopping them in their tracks. "We're hungry soldeirs." Nate says simply. She chuckles. "I thought you two were playing rock stars." She says. "Well rock stars get caught in war, too." Alex looks up at her. She smiles and nods. "I bet they do."

After lunch, they go up to Nate's room and play soldiers again. They crawl across the slick wooden floor and shoot the enemies with their water guns. Each doll is drenched and 'defeated' easily. "We must travel to the next army post, soldier." Alex says. "Yes, sir." Nate salutes him. They run off into the bathroom and jump into the bathtub. Nate closes the curtain and they sit behind each other. It's silent as they wait for the enemy to strike. "Nate, are there power cuts in wars?" Alex whispers. "I guess so." Nate replies, just as quiet as Alex. Alex reaches his water gun up and flicks the light switch down, making it pitch black, due to lack of windows. "POWER CUT!" Alex yells. "Alex, turn the light back on, please." Nate whines, frightened of the dark. "But, it's a power cut." Alex reasons. "But, it's just a game." Nate says in a small voice. Alex sighs and sparks a match. He lights a few candles that were near the tub for comfort during baths. He places them around the rim of the tub and closes the curtain back.

The small amount of light still scares Nate, but he just lays his head on Alex's back and awaits the enemy's arrival. He feels Alex stiffen and then loosen up. He reaches behind himself and brushes Nate's hair soothingly. Nate wants the enemy to come now so they can defeat them and end the game. Alex takes their games really serious as if they were really happening. Nate doesn't like that. He likes reality, but Alex always seems to be imagining things in his mind. "Are they here yet?" Nate whispers. "Not yet. But, I know they're coming." Alex replies. Nate is tired and he wishes they could stop playing for only a moment. He closes his eyes and wraps his arms around Alex's tummy. He can feel himself drifting off. The last thing he sees is the glow of the candle and then he's out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hallo, guys. So, I decided to make this one-shot into an actual story. I'm in love with Au's as you can see. =]