Status: Loves all the subscribers and commenters <3 The story is being updated as frequently as possible :)

Your Silver Bullets Won't Save You Now

The Man

I leant back into the sofa and took a deep breath. It didn’t calm me and it didn’t ease the guilt that weighed heavily on my mind. I felt someone linger in the doorway, my eyes darting up. I released a long breath as the wolf who’d dived in front of Damien to save him from Feher, walked into the room.

I don’t know who I’d been expecting to see there, but as my heart sank in my chest, I knew it hadn’t been him.

In his hand he held a steaming mug, he walked silently towards me, over broken floor boards and up right nails, as though they weren’t there. He smiled tightly and handed me the mug, I took it and peered down, the coffee scent swirling around me as I lifted it to my lips and took a sip.

The sofa dipped beside me, the man had sat next to me and was now watching me silently.

I looked at him for no more than a second before I returned to the mug of coffee, careful not to show how much it burned with every sip I took. I would not be showing anymore weaknesses around these Galiks.

As I took in a deep sniff of the coffee aroma, I found it hard to ignore, how suddenly comfortable and safe I felt. Me, a wolf, feeling safe in a Galik's headquarters, without Max present. What on earth was happening to me?

“He’s alive.” Was all the man said, as he pulled at loose threads from the arm of the sofa we sat on. It was old and faded, the flower pattern having been eaten away by moths, but it was comfortable.

I nodded, focusing intently on the contents of the mug, once more taking a scolding sip, reminding myself that I deserved the pain. “Figured you’d like to know.” Was all he said again, his voice low and quiet. He knew others could hear us and so did I. This place was crawling with Galiks, I could sense them and they were beginning to set me on edge.

I had spent the past two hours listening to the sounds of groans and wails of pain drifting down from upstairs. When they’d stopped half an hour ago, I wasn’t sure whether to take that as a good sign or a bad sign.

If Feher hadn’t pulled me from Eric when he did, I’m not sure what would have happened. Just another few seconds, and I’d have undoubtedly killed him. All because he called Max my mate. I’m still not sure why it set me off like it did. It shouldn’t have. I’m Alpha now, I should never have let such simple, innocent words turn me from my normal, relatively level-headed self, into a murderous maniac.

But unfortunately for Eric, I’d taken his words to heart.

“Thank you.” I said quietly, into the silence of the room. “For keeping me updated. And for the coffee.” I told the man beside me as awkward silence loomed around us.

“It’s fine. I’d be the same. I’d ask what set you off, but I don’t think you’d tell me. I’m a Galik after all.” I was surprised at the amount of self-hatred he showed in those few words. I don’t think I’d ever met a Galik who hated what he was. Not even Max.

“I’m Zack, by the way. I’m Damien’s second in command. He’s asked me to keep a watch on you until the wedding. I was supposed to be doing so when….well, you know…when you nearly killed your own pack member.” I nearly choked on my coffee, not quite used to such honesty or the brazen way he spoke about it. “Damien wasn’t impressed to hear I’d let you out of my sights. So hopefully you’ll understand if I act as your shadow until the marriage is final.”

I nodded, not really listening. I felt a little numb. When Feher came roaring into the room and saw me, I’d seen the surprise in his eyes. The shock at what I was doing, and it was only at that point that I’d snapped back. Before that I’d been lost to the inner beast. I’d been pure wolf, no human side had remained. He’d dragged me from Eric’s flailing body by the scruff of my neck and I’d never been so grateful to him for being so close to me.

He’d shoved me out of the room with his snout and then turned to help Eric, meanwhile obviously the Galik’s had suddenly realised there was bloodshed going on, so they’d turned up and I’d been promptly escorted downstairs and left on my own in what used to be the living room, until Zack had turned up.

I’ll admit. I’m a little lost. I don’t really know what I’m doing or what my aims are. All I know is the following; I need the Galiks to help with the Vampires. They’ll only do that if I marry Damien, which will happen in three weeks. But three weeks is a long time, I’m not sure any of the wolves have that kind of time left. It couldn’t be just my pack that are being threatened, I know it’s not. This was now a full scale war between our species. But how do you get a lazy ass to hurry up and help, when he simply doesn’t want to?

I sighed heavily and ran a shaking hand through my hair. It had been a long day and I was still torn between running upstairs to check on Eric and beg for his forgiveness, and heading for the back door and making a run for it, and spending my last few remaining days hiding somewhere in the woods.

A hand rested on my leg and I turned, looking up into deep, green eyes. They held my attention, an honesty I hadn’t expected in them. He knew the turmoil inside of me, he sensed it. “It’ll be ok, Eric will be fine and your people will be safe.” He promised, and for the first time in a while, I honestly believed it might be true.

“Zack?” I asked on a whim, thoughts spiralling in my mind. His bright eyes flashed to mine, intent on listening. “How can I convince Damien to help me save my pack, before the marriage happens? I can feel them, they’re moving towards us, but they are in danger, we all are. We need to act now, as a united group.”

He took a deep breath and watched me, watched me for so long that I began to grow uncomfortable, until finally he spoke. “Carta, I’m not sure you can convince him to help save you, before he has you as his wife. He doesn’t trust you.” And just like that, my little spark of hope died.

“But-“ I looked up, a smile playing on his lips, “He does trust me. And I may be able to convince him. I will at least try.”

I’ll admit at this point.

I hugged, yet another, Galik.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while. Hit a major block.........but next chapter...I think it's about time we find out what happened to Max...don't'cha think...?

V.A <3