Status: Loves all the subscribers and commenters <3 The story is being updated as frequently as possible :)

Your Silver Bullets Won't Save You Now

The Truth About Max

He woke up with a start, his hands reaching out and searching the place next to him.
It was cold, how long ago had she left? As panic seeped its way through his body, he sat up, searching the darkness. Where was she? Where was Carta?

One minute she’d been here, snuggling into his side, whilst he slept. The last thing she’d whispered before drifting into a deep sleep was, “I love you.” Words that she probably didn’t realise, had meant the world to him. Yet now she was gone.

Where was she? Where is Carta? Where has she gone? Panic making his breathing shallow and his heart race, he swung his legs over the edge of the crude bed they’d had created for him.

Rubbing his hands through his hair, he dragged them down his face, willing his brain to work. Where could she have gone?

Breathing deeply, he reigned in his panic as he thought back to the last thing he remembered. It had been late last night, when they’d finally made camp. Another long day of looking for fellow Tribes of Galiks, had taken them further North than he’d ever been before.

He’d noted the sharp drop in temperature and hated it, as he and his men were forced to wrap up warm and their progress was slowed by the occasional out-break of snow. As he sat there in the darkness of his tent, dawn just breaking somewhere in the East, he took a deep breath once more.

He remembered clearly now, they’d walked for hours, knowing that the next tribe was still another 5 miles or so, they’d decided to camp for the night and have a shorter walk in the morning. He remembered his best friend and sub-tribe, second, Tim, patting him on the back and telling him that this would be over soon, that their running and hiding would be over and the Galik’s would rise again.

So if Tim had been there, if all his men had been there and if they’d made camp. Then Carta, Carta wasn’t real then was she? The way he’d felt her sleep next to him, had been in his imagination, it must have been.

A sharp pain in his chest, shattered the hope he’d felt when he’d woken. For the first time in weeks, he finally felt happy again, until realisation had dawned on him. It was all in his imagination, all of it. She was no more real than the words she’d uttered to him. She was still with her pack, no doubt somewhere worrying or fighting; as she always was.

Shaking off the dream, he stood and pulled on a shirt. He’d had the same dream, night after night. Every time it was different, but the theme was the same. It was him and Carta; always in love. Just like he felt it should have been.

For weeks they'd been separated from the other Galiks. Sent out of some little last minute mission, because his brother knew that they could not defeat the vampires on their own, they were not strong enough. Max had considered suggesting a truce between the wolves and the Galiks, but after his father had fallen in battle everything had been a rush, as Damien had taken control and then sent out little teams, like Max's to find help. He hadn't been able to tell Carta what was going on, mind you they'd agreed they would have to be separate until it was over, but at the moment it felt like that time would never come.

“Max?” The tent flap opened and Tim’s head poked inside. His once long brown hair, had been cut fine against his head. They did not have much time for personal appearance as they travelled across the country, under Damien’s orders, looking for other tribes of Galiks to unite with theirs. There were a few remaining, although they hadn’t thought there were. The vampires, at first, were not affecting other regions.

To begin with as they’d stolen cars and travelled around, trying to hide from the public, they’d begun to wonder if the Vampire’s were just attacking their town. But it was during the second week that they had suddenly spread, quickly attacking everywhere in a unified action, that had surprised not only the Galiks, but the wolves, dwarves and many other underworld populations they’d met on their travels.

“I’m awake Tim, what is it?”

Tim walked in and was careful to check outside first, as though he were nervous. Tim was no more than two years older than Max, yet they still looked the same age. “We have a visitor, claiming she wishes to help against the vampires. Apparently they’ve torn out the throats of ‘enough of her kin’ and she wants revenge.”

Max blinked three times and once more rubbed his hand through his hair, nodding to Tim to get him to go outside, Max followed him out as sunlight settled around them. Blinking against the light, he put a hand up to shield his eyes.

In the distance he could see a figure, outlined in black, he looked over to Tim, who was watching him, as their eyes adjusted to the light. “She? Wants revenge? Who is it and what is she?”

Before Tim could answer, he suddenly grew oddly nervous, his eyes settling over Max’s shoulder. “My name is Elspeth. I am a witch from the Rhine Tribe in the South-East. The vampires have decimated my family, whilst I was out as a healer for a tribe of Galiks. When I found out what happened, they contacted me and told me to find you. They said that you would help me exact the revenge I want. So I offer my services as a healer and witch.”

Max blinked, before slowly turning around, wishing his mind would hurry up and process what the witch had said. He’d heard of Galik’s having healers on sight, that was normally if they were constantly in wars and needed to heal quickly, but his father had never allowed it and nor had his stand in. Then again, they had tried to keep a low profile as they’d planned to get Max’s father back.

His father; dead now unfortunately. Max felt like he’d never been given a chance to properly know him. His father having spent most of his life locked in the Wolves dungeons. He should hate the wolves for that, but he didn’t. He didn’t think he could ever hate Carta.

“Elspeth. We welcome your help. My name is Max, I am in command of this sub-tribe.” He held out his hand to the dark haired girl in front of him. He wasn’t sure of her age, she could have been 20ish, like she looked, then again she could have been 120, for all he knew. Witches had their way of hiding the truth. Her long black hair was curly and hung loose, framing her face.

But as Max shook hands with the woman, he was surprised at her eyes. Big and wide, they sparkled a dark purple and couldn’t help but look deeper into her eyes, flecks of silver flashing in her iris’.

A small smile played on her dark red lips, as they shook hands, a tiny electric shock buzzing through his finger tips. Her voice was warm as she greeted him, her eyes locking with his, a surprising warmth spreading through Max's chest.

She was pretty. Max decided as he released her hand and took a step back.

The witch was pretty.
♠ ♠ ♠
So....Max isn't dead.

But Carta still thinks he is.

And she's set to marry Max's brother soon.

And had Max already found her replacement?

Is Max feeling the same Mating feeling?

Why did Carta's MSA (Mate Separation Anxiety) start so suddenly?

Questions; Questions; Questions.

GUESS WHAT PEOPLE.

I finally know how this story is going to end.

V.A <3