Falling in love is great. Unless it's with a demon.

(33)Playing Matchmaker

Kyo was giving one of the most concerned look you had ever seen from him, so you let him take your hand and lead you out of the room and down the hall.
“Kyo, what’s-” you tried to ask what was going to, but he clamped his hand over your mouth, and led you towards the living room, where he held you in the shadows and pointed to a couple of people sitting on the couch.
*It’s Jake and Ariel…* you thought, watching as Jake looked around the room nervously, and Ariel, smiled gently at him.
“I uh… wanted to uh… ask you something,” he stuttered out, scratching the back of his head, as he glanced at her nervously.
Ariel leaned in close to him, and laid her hand on top of his, “Yes?”
He blushed, and gulped feeling her skin against his, and suddenly he got up from the couch and backed away towards the kitchen, “You uh… want something to drink?”
Ariel’s smile faded, and she looked disappointed, “No I’m fine…”
You watched as Jake disappeared into the kitchen and Kyo let you go, “See?”
You nodded and began to walk to the kitchen, “Yeah, this is big. I knew he liked her… but I didn’t think he was ready to ask her out.”
“Looks like he’s not,” Kyo looked back into the living room, and Ariel sighed and leaned her head against the palm of her right hand.
You felt heart broken for poor Ariel, and feeling that determination return to you, you marched into the kitchen, and found Jake sitting at the table, with his head in his hands, looking pathetic.
“Hey,” you tapped his shoulder and he jumped, startled by your sudden appearance beside him. “What was that all about?”
“I don’t know…” he groaned and let his head fall to the table, with a thud. “I wanted to ask her out, but- but I just couldn’t.”
“Well she really wanted you to,” you assured him, pulling him to his feet, and taking him to peek out of the door that led to the living room. “See? She looks so disappointed like she was waiting for something.” You poked him hard, and he let out a little, “Eeep!”, and you dragged him back into the kitchen, so Ariel didn’t get suspicious.
“I was going to, but I got scared,” he admitted, shaking his head. “She’s just so… pretty. And I mean why would she want to be with me?”
Well if they ever needed a match maker it was now, so you decided it was time to intervene. “How about I go talk to her?”
“No!” Jake yelled, a little too loud, and he pulled you close, his voice in a whisper. “I’ve seen you try and put people together. It’s never been pretty…”
“Hey!” you said defensively, pulling away from him. “I would be a totally good match maker, if people would just listen to me and be with who I say.”
“I hate to say this, Kira,” he pointed to a shadow, that was Kyo, listening in on the conversation, “But how can you put anyone together when you can’t even handle your own romantic affairs?”
You opened your mouth to respond, but you knew he was right. You had no idea how you were going to choose between four great guys, so who were you to be going around giving relationship advice?
Jake took the time to slip away from you and make a run for the staircase, but you caught him before he touched the first stair, and pulled him back to the kitchen, Kyo following behind. “You have to tell her. She deserves to know, even if you don’t ask her out,” you pushed him, arguing the whole way, through the door to the living room, and locked it into place behind him, so he had no escape.
He took a deep breath and walked over to the couch, where Ariel was still sitting, and still looking disappointed.
She looked up surprised to see he had come back, “I thought you were getting a drink?”
Jake cleared his now dry throat, wishing that he had, and sat down beside her. “I did. And I came back because I had to tell you something.”
She sat up straight, and looked into his eyes, waiting for it, but he sat there, silent, for the longest time, and finally she took his hand and said it herself, “Jake, I like you.”
Jake blushed hearing it from her, and listening from the kitchen you did a little dance with Kyo, after hearing it.
But Jake, loser that he was, sat there without saying anything, like a deer in headlights, like he didn’t believe what he had just heard.
And Ariel, poor girl, was waiting for him to return what she had said.
He sat there, staring at her, and it didn’t occur to anyone that something was wrong, until Jake fell over on to the floor.
Ariel screamed, and you stopped dancing with Kyo, and looked at him. “That wasn’t supposed to happen…” You ran into the room, and found Ariel kneeling beside Jake, slapping his face gently.
“What happened?” you asked in shock, after sending Kyo to get a wet washcloth.
Ariel was frantic, tears in her eyes, as she held Jake’s head in her lap, “I told him I liked him, and he just sat there, and then fell over. Oh God what if I kill guys just by liking them!”
You shook your head, knowing that wasn’t true, and handed Ariel the cloth that Kyo had gotten so she could stop the bleeding from hitting his head.
After a few minutes of him laying there, he opened his eyes and looked up at Ariel, amazed to see she was actually crying over him. And when she saw him open his eyes she threw her arms around him, and held him close, “Don’t ever do that again!” She yelled at him, holding him close.
He was confused of course, but he liked where he was at and promised not to do anything like that again.
You looked over to Kyo and smiled, as the two of you walked out of the room leaving the two of them to talk.
You sat down in the kitchen, and crossed your arms over your chest, looking happy.
“What are you so happy about?” Kyo laughed, poking you.
“Nothing,” you laughed shooing his hand away. “I just do nice work that’s all.”
“Well considering no one really dyed,” he nodded looking back to the living room doors. “I think so too.”
You smiled, looking up at him, and he leaned down and gently kissed your forehead before leaving you there alone. You sat there, happy for the smallest of moments before the stress came back in full force. At least that was one thing you didn’t have to worry about, not that you had to in the first place, but you felt like you had to so you did, but now you didn’t have to and it was back to your original worries, which guy was right for you.
Remembering that, reminded you that Chase still hadn’t taken you out yet, and even though he said he wasn’t going to, you didn’t believe him. So you got up and went to find him, which wasn’t hard since he was still in his room, laying on his bed with his arms behind his head.
“Hey, babe,” he said as you came into his room, but he didn’t look at you, his eyes fixed on the ceiling. “Come back for more?”
You blushed, thinking about the little meeting you had had earlier in his room, and shook your head. “No… I was just wondering if you meant what you said about not wanting to take me out on a date.”
He smiled, cockily, and shook his head, “You want me.”
He certainly liked to play his games with you, not that it bothered you all that much, but for once you wanted a straight answer, and not have to give him any. “Is that a yes or no?”
“It was neither,” he yawned, and flicked his eyes towards you. “Simply saying you want to go out with me.”
“I said I would give you all a fair chance,” you blushed again, from anger and embarrassment because he was right. “Take it or leave it.”
He laughed and sat up on the edge of his bed. He reached out his hand towards you, “Come here.”
You were suspicious of course, and who wouldn’t be hearing those words from Chase? But he looked innocent enough, so reluctantly you took his hand and he stood and pulled you close to his body.
“Now tell me,” he was giving you the most hypnotic look you’d ever seen, and you couldn’t help but want to be as close to him as possible. “Do you want to go out with me?”
You nodded, not really realizing you were doing it, but it was true. You did want to…
“Good,” he smiled and got closer, so his breath was hot against your neck, “And what exactly have you thought about doing with me?”
You were about to respond, unable to stop yourself for some odd reason, until Noki’s voice brought you crashing back to reality, and you instinctively slapped Chase hard, and pushed away from him.
“What do you think you’re doing?” Noki asked angrily, coming into the room.
“It’s ok, Noki,” you pulled him back from the smiling Chase, who didn’t look scared of his brother at all when maybe he should have been. Noki, though calm most of the time, would rip a person apart, if angry enough. “We were just talking. You know… about the date.”
“Oh…” Noki knew Chase was trying to mind control you, but if you didn’t mind then what could he do? And he wasn’t very happy to be reminded of you going out with Chase, but there again what could he do? So sighing he left.
“Don’t you ever do that to me again!” You yelled, once Noki was out of ear shot, and slapped Chase again.
He laughed, and laid back down on his bed. “I was just trying to find out what you really wanted. But apparently not even you know that. So it doesn’t make much sense for me to try again.”
You were mad for what he did, but what he said only made it that much clearer that you didn’t know what you were going to do. “Are you taking me out or not?” You snapped, trying to keep your mind off of that for now.
“Ouch, someone’s snippy,” he touched his cheek where you had slapped him, and shrugged. “If I do, you’ll know.”
*Well yeah of course I’d know if you took me out…* you thought, since it was such an obvious thought, but groaning you opened the door and slammed it behind you as you left. Out of all the guys, Chase was so much more frustrating than the others, and imagining a future with him, gave you a headache…