Falling in love is great. Unless it's with a demon.

(38)A small lesson on not getting yourself killed

It was surprisingly silent when you went inside. First of all, no one was around, as you had expected to be bombarded with questions and accusations. But nope, there was no one waiting, or worrying about where you had gone to.
You made your way to the living room and saw Noki sitting on the couch, reading a book and drinking some coffee. He turned his eyes to you as you came up to him and smiled, “Glad to see you made it in one piece.”
You collapsed onto the couch beside him, “What do you mean?”
“Riding with Chase doesn’t really seem all that pleasant from what I’ve seen,” he answered, as he set the book down. You noticed it was a book with strange markings on the cover.
“It was pretty scary at times,” you laughed, agreeing with him. “But I just needed to leave for a bit… I’m surprised no one’s down here attacking him.”
Noki nodded, “Well I guess we’re getting used to you disappearing. They way I see it is, if you’re gone and one of us is as well then there’s a pretty good chance where you’re at.”
“Oh…” you sighed, brining your knees up to your chest. You kind of liked it when the guys fussed so much over you disappearing.
Noki was quiet for a minute, before he yawned and stretched bringing his arm around you and pulling you close as he did.
You giggled, “Nice move, dork.”
He smiled, and kissed your forehead, “Well I’m no Chase when it comes to those kind of things. I’m sure you had a hard enough time trying to fend him off.”
You realized Noki was trying to ask about your date, without actually asking about it, and you weren’t sure if you should give it away that Chase had a much softer side. “He wasn’t so bad, but his not so bad is still pretty bad,” you giggled again, hoping Noki didn’t have some kind of mind reading power. You didn’t want to betray Chase’s trust by letting someone else know his real side if he wasn’t willing to show them.
But Noki only laid his head on top of yours and said nothing. You leaned into him and closed your eyes, comforted by having him near you.
“We need to start your training soon,” he finally said when the silence became overwhelming.
His voice startled you, making you jump slightly out of his arms. Feeling stupid you muttered, “What training?”
He pulled you into him again though before he answered, “Remember how you saved Jake from death? And I told you that you have certain witch like powers. We need to figure out exactly what it is you can do, and train you in it. It will be a big help if anything should attack us, and if you don’t learn how to keep your powers in check they will consume you. You see magic feeds off of you when you don’t know how to use it. It’s inside of you, right now, burning away at you wanting for freedom. It wants to help you, to save you, but also to destroy you. I will teach you how to use it, but magic is always a burden. It will always be looking for it’s chance to go out of control and overtake you. You can feel it now can’t you? Close your eyes and focus… tell me how you feel.”
You felt incredibly stupid doing it, but you closed your eyes, only after rolling them at him, and focused hard. And nothing… So you tried focusing again. And nothing still. “Ummm Noki… nothing’s happening.”
“Hush…” he breathed in your ear, “Find your center… find who you are… reach inside of yourself and feel it…”
That really didn’t help, and only made you feel more ridiculous, but you tried still and actually after a few minutes you did start to see something in your mind. A small flicker of something evading you, turning this way and that from your sight, so you focused harder until you saw yourself in your mind, reaching out for that flicker. But as your fingers grazed it a cold overtook you, and you could now see what looked like an icy cave before you where the flicker had gone. You followed it, your body and mind numbing more with each step until you could go no further. But when you could go no further the flicker stopped, and came to you, running over face and fingertips. You wanted to embrace it, to take it into you and hold it like it was something g precious. You tried to take it…
“Kira!”
You gasped, a cloud of frozen breath coming from your lips as Noki shook you hard, waking you from the meditation you had fallen so deeply in to. You took in deep breath, the cloud thinning with each one, like you had been frozen, and choked out, “What… happened…?”
Noki had a small amount of fear in his eyes as he looked at you, “You were almost lost… you saw it though didn’t you?”
You nodded.
“And you wanted it? You wanted to hold it and have it near you?”
Again, you nodded, remembering the feel of it against you. You could feel it now, alive and pulsing through your veins, and as you touched Noki you could feel it in him too. Your hands ran along his chest, and you imagined that you could see it, flowing through him. You wanted to take it from him too, and hold it near. You wanted to reach inside of him and have it.
“Kira!”
You felt a sharp slap across your face and again woke from the dream your magic had laid upon you. Noki was holding your shoulders, worry clear all over his face, “Sorry I had to slap you… but this is what I’m talking about. It’s trying to take over, because of all these years you’ve forced yourself to keep it inside. It wants out now more than ever, because now you know how it feels to have it, and it will use that against you, but you have to continue to fight it, and beat it down until you have better control.”
“I will..” you whispered, frightened yourself about what was happening. You felt an attraction to Noki you had never felt before, and all you wanted was to have him surround you. You couldn’t resist the urge to lean up and press your lips against his. You could feel it again pulsing inside of him through his lips, but you ignored the feeling of the magic and pushed it back down inside of you while he took you in his arms and held you close while kissing you. When it was over you leaned into him, breathing deeply, trying to figure out what was going on with you.
“Look over there,” he pointed across the room to a porcelain bowl filled with fruit. “Try to move it…”
You didn’t move, but focused your eyes hard on moving it. You willed it with all of your body for that darn bowl to move, and you thought you saw it shake a but, but it didn’t float in mid air as you had hoped.
“Don’t use your mind,” he said, urging you to keep trying. “Send a small part of it out to the bowl, and move it.”
You but your lip, and nodded, focusing on what was inside of you, and the bowl. Again you could see the flicker, and with a thought you sent it out and way from your body to the bowl. But instead of moving, it shattered…
Noki sighed and got up, “You really need some serious training… your powers of so out of control they’ve gone to outright destructive. You should rest, as I know you haven’t slept all day, and we will try again when you’re better rested.”
You didn’t want to stop… You wanted to keep trying and get it right, but what Noki said was final, and you knew you couldn’t do it without him, so you sulked up to your room.
Once alone inside however you found a surprise visitor that wasn’t so pleasant…