In Her Dreams

Chapter Eight.

Maggie-

As I walked through the door I wedged it shut so it would be secure, but wouldn’t make any noise. I tip-toed my way towards my room and thought about how I should have just gone through the cellar door. I never locked it in the morning just incase I got home from school and wanted to go straight to my room.

I jumped when the lights suddenly turned on.

“And where were you?” My ‘dad’ asked menacingly. I shook my head.

“I was with Dylan.”

“Where’s Dylan?” I didn’t like the way he sneered my brother’s name.

“With a friend?” I asked more than said. I didn’t know what answer he had been looking for.

“What the coward couldn’t come and help you out a bit?” He asked and then laughed. I ran for my door. If I got there fast enough I could lock it behind me. If I could lock the door I could sneak back out and go to Zack. I knew he would wait.

The few times we had hung out, Dylan and Zack had come up with a code. If the basement lights turned on then he could leave because then that meant that I was safely in my room. If the lights stayed off he would sit and wait. If I opened a curtain or screamed or anything negative -–there must have been at least a million options-- he would help. Those were the only ones I knew of, but I was sure there were more.

I didn’t make it far before I was pinned to the wall. Nothing moved for a while before a struggled to get away. Every time he caught me I’d slip out of his arms as if I were wet soap. I’m sure if Zack was outside he could probably see all of the movement. I couldn’t remember there being anything about seeing a lot of movement behind a curtain, but I hoped it was one. I needed help.

After countless times of getting away I managed to get a kick at him and unluckily for both of us I got his knee. I half limped and half ran towards the stairs that led to my room as I heard him fall behind me.

I got to my room and turned on the light. However before I could lock the door the light was off and I could feel my father’s presence in the room. I took careful steps backwards as I tried not to breathe, willing him not to find me.

There was a flame flicker in front of my face, my father’s face going in and out of focus due to the coming and going of light. I closed my eyes trying to swallow the ball in my throat. I hadn’t heard the car drive away and Zack’s car is loud enough…

I can see his hand coming, but I can’t bring myself to duck in time and I’m thrown to the floor. I felt him grab me from under my arms and I felt my back hit the cellar door.

I couldn’t even see two inches in front of my face as I tried to get away again. I could feel he was near, but I kept moving. Five seconds later he’s got my back against the door again. Somehow I manage to slip under one of his arms and get across the room.

I slid into my bathroom, only moving the door enough so I couldn’t be seen. I stood there barely breathing for a few minutes before I heard the noise. I heard a loud boom. It made me want to peak around the corner, but I held back. It sounded exactly like the first time I came into my room through the cellar door. I hadn’t held it right and lost my footing resulting in a disgruntled me on the floor and an angry brother wondering what was going on down here. Only it couldn’t have been that this time because I had built steps up to the door.

“Who’s there?! Get outta my house!” I could hear my dad yelling. I could tell whoever had come in had never been in my room before, because I could hear things falling over. There was a crash and I felt the air rushing at my face before I felt the door.

I fell backwards into the bathtub and not only was my nose broken, but I had hit my head hard against the wall. My back felt funny in a bad way and was bent over the side a little before my neck. My head was tilted up right against the tiled wall. My legs stuck up over the ledge where I had toppled in.

Suddenly there was light and I was blinded. Instinctively I reached up to block my face, but hands pulled my arms away.

“Maggie? You alright kid?” I could tell it was Zack and sighed in relief. There was still movement in the other room and I knew it was too much for my dad to make by himself.

“Zack.” I whined quietly. I felt him touching my back and then moving my shirt up to expose my bruised skin. I shuddered and I could hear his short gasp. I knew where each and every one of them came from.

“Sh.. be quiet.” I think it’s the quietest that he’s ever been. He put his hand over my eyes before asking if I could open them. When I tried I was happy to see I could. I was also happy to see that this fact also made Zack happy.

“PEST!” I knew that voice though I shouldn’t and I had to remind myself not to think of it too much. Whenever I did it sent my head spinning with emotions and thoughts I’d never want to leave the confines of my head. “Help!”

Zack gave me a look that clearly said ‘sorry’ before running off into my room and turning on the light. Did he mean ‘sorry I brought him here’ or sorry I have to leave you now’?

Even if I tried I knew I couldn’t get up. I was stuck here while two people fought off my dad. Something I’d left to Dylan for a long time. One was someone I could call a friend and the other could be explained as some sort of demented guardian.

Giving up I tried to relax and I tried to tune out the grunts and crashes coming from the other room and I tried to forget the pain. Everything hurt now and I couldn’t see more than a foot in front of my face even though Zack had left the lights on.

I didn’t want to move, I just wanted to stay there: I just wanted to lie there. I wanted to die; there, in that moment, I had honestly wanted to die.

But I didn’t get my wish as I felt strong arms, a bit warmer than my own, wrap around me and carefully pull me out of the tub that I had made my temporary sanctuary. I guess it was never much of a good one from the beginning.

That’s when I finally lost consciousness.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so so sorry that I haven't posted anything in forever. My mom had accidentally flipped my computer off of the table it was on and broke the power input thing. So I couldn't write (I'm stupid enough to not save stuff in drafts) and I couldn't post. Well, I wrote some on notebook paper and I'm currently trying to type it all out.

I broke this one in half because her part was huge and I haven't typed his out yet. >.<
I'll post the next one too...

I feel like I have to make it up to you.

Nobody likes silent readers... can I please have some feedback? Even if it's just you telling me that I need to check my spelling better or take an English class over again.