Sequel: Sing Me To Sleep

Happiness and Heartbreak

Chapter 4

I spent the next month studying like crazy for finals, mostly to get my mind off of everything that was going on around me. Megan was there to help me through it, and I could never thank her enough for that, but what I really wanted, needed actually, was the guys. They would be here in two days for my graduation, I was lucky and graduated in three years thanks to taking an excessive amount of classes each semester and summer classes my freshman year. Unfortunately, my parents invited the Barakat’s to my graduation also, and they said that they couldn’t wait to see someone that was like family graduate college. That, of course, meant that Jack would be there. Right now, I was working on containing the anger and sadness that I would experience when I saw him. No, I was going to act like Jack Barakat had never walked into my life. I would graduate with my friends and see Alex, Rian and Zack later to celebrate. Then, I would hang out with Megan, pack my bags and get ready to leave for Warped Tour in the days that followed.

Finally, the day was here, the day that I had waited three long years for. I turned and looked at myself in the mirror, ready in my cap and gown. I couldn’t believe that today was the day. I was graduating! Megan curled my hair for me as we sat and talked about funny memories of school together. She would be going back home to Fairfax, VA for the summer, and she still had one year left next year. Then, she would be the one graduating.

“I can’t believe I’m losing my roommate!”

“Not for long. As soon as you graduate we can move in together- an apartment.” I said, raising her mood.

“Speaking of apartments, why haven’t you got one yet?”

“I’m working merch and guitar teching on Warped this summer, I won’t be home. Why bother paying rent if I’m not going to be here.”

“Oh, yeah that makes sense. Close your eyes.” She said, applying black eyeliner and shadow to my upper eyelids.

“Ok, open.”

I opened my eyes and looked in the mirror.

“Why didn’t you go to beauty school?” I asked Megan, really curious.

“Because I like art and music marketing more.”

“Ok.”

I got up and twirled around, watching my gown twirl around me. Then, Megan carefully pinned my cap on, careful not to mess up my curls, and told me I was gorgeous.

“If Jack doesn’t regret being an ass after this, then there is something wrong with that boy’s head.”

“Could we not talk about that…” I murmured, not wanting to think about it

“Yeah, now go. Get out! You have to be at the center courtyard in half an hour.”

“Ok, ok. I’ll see you at graduation, right?”

“Yeah, I’m going to sit with your parents.”

My parents had become fond of Megan over my three years in college. I brought her home for Thanksgiving break when her parents were overseas. They loved her immediately.

Soon enough, my name was being called to get my diploma, and as I walked across the stage I heard the screams of my parents, brother, Megan, Rian and Zack. I looked around and saw that the Barakat’s were there also, cheering for me. Jack just sat silently. If he didn’t want to be here, he didn’t have to be. I shook hands with the dean and walked back to my seat. The rest of the names were called, and then we threw our caps. I told some friends goodbye, I would talk to them soon, and then made my way to my friends and family who were waving excitedly.

“Woohoo, my sister finished college! Now you can help us in the studio!” Alex exclaimed as I ran up to him.

Our parents shook their heads at the thought of me and Alex working together, and then gave me a hug and said congratulations. They took lots of pictures of me and the guys and me and Megan, and then we made our way back to the car. Mr. and Mrs. Barakat said that they would follow us back to the house and we would celebrate there. My parents took off in their car and Alex, Rian and Zack followed me. I said goodbye to Megan and that I would see her when Warped came to Virginia. She was heading home to work over summer break.

“Let’s get this show on the road!” Alex yelled as I gave Megan a hug goodbye.

“Fine, aren’t you pushy.” I laughed, climbing in the driver’s seat.

We arrived at our house to see that my parents and the Barakat’s were already there. We walked inside and I was once again bombarded by congratulations. Jack quietly murmured a ‘good job’ to me, and then continued into the kitchen to talk to Rian. This was also a Welcome Home/Going Away party for the boys, seeing as they just made it home yesterday and we were leaving again two days from now.

Later that night I heard a soft knock on my door. Alex walked in with two sodas and a tray of cookies.
“Sup sis?”

“Not much. Just thinking about some stuff.”

Alex wasn’t stupid. He knew what I was thinking of. Slowly, he opened my closet door to reveal a beautiful white wedding gown hanging up.

“You’re his best friend, Alex. You have to know why he did this.”

“Catie, you have to realize that you were his best friend too. I really don’t know how Jack’s mind works sometimes. But I can tell you that he gave up the best thing that could ever have happened to him.”

“Thanks, Alex.”

“Anytime, sis. Now come on, let’s eat these cookies. In two days it’s just going to be me, you and the guys again- like old times. Only now it’s even better because we can legally get the alcohol.”

I had to laugh at my brother’s silly antics. I just wasn’t so sure how fun this tour would be anymore.

“Alex I’m just afraid. You don’t understand how bad that it’s going to hurt me if I have to see Jack with another girl. It will kill me.”

“Just forget about Jack. Yeah, he’s my best friend and I’m not going to pretend that we can ignore everything that happened. Just try to move on. Meet some new guys, see some shows. Make it the best summer of your life.”

“I’ll try Alex, I will.”

“Good. Now get some sleep, the boys will be over in the morning to go over some tour stuff. Since you’re helping with merch Flyzik’s taking the summer off.”

With that being said, Alex got up and left the room. I lay down in my bed thinking of Warped Tour. I made a silent promise to myself that I would do as Alex said. I would make this the best summer of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?