Howl and Sophie's Flying Castle

A Demon's Promise

It was dark already. The stars outside gleamed and seemed to wink at Sophie as the castle flew by. She thought about the stars out there, the fire demons so to speak. She wondered about the way they lived and that certain magic that drew humans to them. It drew Howl to Calcifer and even convinced Howl to swallow Cal for his powers. She remembered also about how Madam Suliman cast a spell around Howl and herself while pretending to be Mrs. Pendragon. The fire demons or starlings danced around them and sang like a choir of cherub angels with their sparkling glow that surrounded them.

Sophie was on the balcony again and watched the clouds swirl around with the wind, playing likes a butterfly and a flower with one always touching the other. That’s when Sophie saw Howl in his human/bird form with his black feathers being blown in the wind. He was flying outside the balcony and came close to Sophie. She has tears in her eyes and knew that Howl was leaving.

“I love you Sophie. I’ll be back soon.” He said and he flew away. That’s when the tears came to her eyes as she sunk to the floor screaming with pain.

Sophie woke with a start and looked around her. She was in her rocking chair where she had fallen asleep while reading.

“God, it was only a dream.” she muttered to herself. Sophie had been having dreams about Howl leaving in the middle of the night. The nightmare occurred regularly, but she dare not tell Howl about it. What if he was leaving her forever in the castle by herself, or worse? What it another war broke out and Madam Suliman tired to take over the powers of all the witches and wizards again? What terrible ideas that Sophie pondered in these last few days.

“What is it Sophie? I heard you scream.” said Calcifer who was across the room in the hearth.

“Nothing Calcifer, just a silly nightmare I had. Do you need a new stack of wood?” Sophie asked as she sprang from her chair and near the pile of wood where she picked up three logs and laid them in the hearth with Calcifer.

“Thank you, but I think you should really tell me what’s up. I here you wake with screams all the time. What’s wrong Soph?” Sophie looked down to her feet and then looked at Calcifer.

“Fine, I’ll tell you, but you must promise me that you will not tell Howl about this.”

“Demons can’t keep promises remember?”

“Oh Calcifer, keep quiet for me.” she begged.

“Fine, this better be good though.” he said with his half serious voice.

“I’ve been having these terrible dreams in the last week and. . .”

“That’s obvious.” Cal interrupted.

“Oh Cal, please. Anyway I keep dreaming that Howl leaves me in the middle of the night while flying in his black bird form.”

“He shouldn’t do that! He might not turn back.”

“I know that’s what’s scary to me. He says in the dream that he loves me and that he’ll be back soon, but in the dream I don’t believe him. That’s when he leaves and I hurt on the inside and sink to the floor like I’m dying. I don’t know what to make of this dream Cal. I’m so scared all the time.” Tears fell from Sophie’s eyes. She covered her face and began to sob.

“Clam down Sophie. I’m sure it’s just a dream and nothing more.”

“I . . . I have a feeling it isn’t.” she cried threw her tears.

“Sophie, get it together. It’s going to be okay.”

“Don’t lie to me Cal!” she yelled. She lowered her cries again and wiped her face. Her eyes stung from the salty wetness that fell off her face to the floor.

“Listen, I have an idea. When we stop the castle and land in the clearing, I have a plan for you kiddo.” Cal looked from left to right to see if anyone was around. “Okay, when Howl leaves for something or other, I can get you a spell that will send you to a place called Amser.”

“Amser, but isn’t that a pirate port with nothing but gypsies and vagabonds? This doesn’t sound safe to me.”

“Believe me; if you want answers, you need to go there. There’s a psychic women there named Liseli. She can tell the future and also interpret dreams as well. Howl’s been there a couple of times to see her.”

“Was she one of Howl’s. . .”

“Don’t mention this to him or he’ll be sick with rage.”

“Well if that’s going to happen, I don’t want to go.”

“Do you want to know what your dream means or not?” Calcifer bellowed at her. Sophie still didn’t like the idea of going to an unsafe place, no less a pirate port, without anyone with her, especially Howl not being there.

“Fine. . .” Sophie hesitantly agreed. “I’ll go for the sake of me and Howl’s future together. But if anything happens to me I swear on Howl’s beating heart it’s going to be your fault.”

“Fine, but you won’t regret it at all, I promise.”

“I thought demons couldn’t make promises Calcifer?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading this far, but I'm keeping the next chapter captive until I get at least two comments. Much Love

Cosette