I'd Be Lying

II

“I wouldn’t let you take the fall. I’ll carry your load too, your legs are shaking and your arms are growing weak. Even someone with my bad of vision can see it. You don’t have to shudder and shake in hiding anymore. You don’t even have to shiver, because I’m here.”

Warm, shaking hands had thrown back the blanket of cold air and silence. The person’s breath above me warmed my entire body with every exhalation. It had maybe been too long. It had maybe been only three hours.

Yet, my eyes seemed to open on their own, and I saw her sitting over me, pain and worry and shock and excitement swirling in her eyes like the colors that inhabited them, blurring and blending the tears that fell down her cheeks into her muddled smile.

“Why are you here?”

She gave me an odd sort of look, one of confusion but knowing. She was confused of what I was asking, but she knew the answer.

I had been completely brainwashed by the meds they had given me, I’m sure. The needles were long enough to stick straight through all bone through my lungs and heart and throat to my brain, nevertheless only into my arm. Nurses picked their weapons well, I suppose.

“Because if I would have left you, I’d be lying to myself…And to you.”

“But what would you have been lying about?”

She tilted her head to the side. She looked away and down. Before her small unfortunate smile became a grin and she leaned further towards my lying, utterly confused and worried form.

“I would have been lying about this.” And she pressed her lips to mine softly and lovingly, bringing her hand to my cheek as I laid there and took in the moment, feeling the colliding pleasure of the kiss and the sparks that somehow flew from her fingertips and lashes onto my pale, bruised skin.

That pale purple yellow black blue skin, a mark of victory almost, for what the two of us believed in.
And, for whom we loved.