Spirited Away

Portion Eleven

I had slept well that afternoon and awoken to a big meal. George and Danielle said it was a welcoming feast. I ate thirds as I hadn’t eaten any lunch, not to mention the food was delicious. I thought they must have a personal cook or something, but then Danielle told me that she use to be a chief. We stayed up late talking getting to know each other. My new parents seemed like pretty cool people.

Then the tricky part came. Bedtime. Since I had been sleeping for almost five hours I wasn’t the least bit tired. I went out onto the balcony and thought about my friends. Sheldon, Janella, Dax, Elwood, Blossom, Lydia and Saffron, and all the other kids at the orphanage I had the pleasure of knowing, but perhaps not befriending.

It had started raining whilst I was taking my nap and so far hadn’t eased one bit. It was getting windier as the night went on. I sighed and switched on my bedside lamp. No doubt my friends would be sleeping now, undisturbed, dreamless sleep. Unlike me.

I opened the top drawer of my bedside table. There was only one thing in there as I hadn’t been bothered to unpack anything yet; this just didn’t seem real. I pulled out the key Danielle had given me earlier and got out of bed. I slipped my shoes on and made my way out the room. It wasn’t easy being quiet when you had shoes tapping against a hardwood floor, but I did my best. I reached the spiral staircase and instead of risking it by siding down the banister—I’d save that for when I was home alone—I slowly crept down the stairs. I guessed they turned the heating of downstairs, as it was a lot colder. I went through the living room to avoid the hard floors in the kitchen in order to get to the little passage out the back. I tried to keep quiet as I unlocked the door, but it made that loud click all the same. I closed the door as I entered the room and a gush of wind almost blew me off my feet. The wall wide window was open and rain was soaking the floorboards and rug.

I sighed, just one more thing I had to put up with, not to mention that it was ten times colder in here than in the living room. I switched on the light and made my way over to the window. The wind was so strong it was the battle of my life to get the window closed but when the job was finally done I was as drenched at the floor. I grumbled profanity under my breath as I went to look for something to dry myself off. There was a door to the right of the window that I hadn’t noticed before. When I opened it I realised that it was a cupboard. There wasn’t much in it, except in the bottom most shelf lay an old blanket. I thanked the stars for helping me out and grabbed the blanket, closing the cupboard door behind me.

I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders before heading over to my desk. Danielle and George had bought me a whole stack of notebooks and stationary supplies for when I finally started school. I grabbed a notepad from the desk drawer and a pencil from my pencil tin. I giggled as I realised I had a pencil tin. I decided that I was going to write a letter tom y friends at the orphanage. I’d tell then all about my new house and family and how much I was missing them.

Dear Sheldon, Janella, Dax, Elwood, Blossom, Lydia, Saffron and whoever else decided that this letter was any of their business,

I know I’ve barely been gone a day but things I really different where I am so I thought I’d tell you about it. And before you start Janella, you did make me promise to write to you.
So my new parents are Danielle and George, their really nice, you’d like them. They don’t have any other kids so I’m pretty much a loner up here. They have this big house surrounded by trees; it’s awesome. I bet it would be a great place to have a party Dax. When I get around to it, I’ll send some pictures to you guys. But it’s the most gorgeous little house, well it’s actually pretty big but it feels just like a cottage. It’s really old fashioned with great big old locks and keys and get this, Lydia, it’s pink! Well pink and white, but I know you’d love it.
I have my own room with a balcony; can you believe it? It reminds me of the one in the attic, you now what I’m talking about Sheldon. And, wait for it, I have my very own private space! It has a gigantic window, and wide screen T.V and my very own desk for when I start school.
I’m really loving it here, but I still wish I was with you guys. There’s enough room that you could all live here, but I don’t think George and Danielle would allow that…


I chuckled, George and Danielle were really nice people; maybe they would let the stay… in my dreams. I shook my head and continued with my letter.

…I hope you guys are having a great time, even if I’m not there to help you out. Play lots of footy, I wanna see you guys make the big leagues, then when I turn on the T.V it’ll be like “I knew those people, they were my best friends.” Don’t miss me too much; even thought I’ll be missing you.

Love you, Erin xx

P.S. I hope Little Billy Bobby is feeling better, send him my love.


I looked down at my work and was please. That was the first letter I had ever written and it wasn’t half bad. I’d ask Danielle about getting it mailed tomorrow. But for now, it was time for bed.

~~~~~

When I woke up the rain had stopped and the sun was shining brighter than ever before. I smiled; today was going to be a good day. I grabbed my letter off my bedside table and pulled my shoes on before going downstairs.

I didn’t feel the need to be quiet anymore so I stomped down the stairs.

“What’s all the noise?” I heard someone ask from the dining room.

I put on my guilty face, “Sorry, that was me,” I said as I entered the room.

“Oh that’s alright dear,” Danielle shook her head, “why are you wearing your shoes?”

“Oh,” I sat down at the end of the table, “well the floors kind or cold and I don’t have any slippers or anyth—”

“Well, we’ll just have to buy you some then,” Danielle smiled, “we don’t want you wearing out your shoes. They’re very nice by the way.”

“Oh, thank you. They were a birthday present from my… old family.”

“Oh yes, Nurse Carter told us we weren’t your first adoption,” George said through a mouthful of bacon.

“George,” Danielle slapped him on the arm, “Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to talk with you mouth full? We don’t want to set a bad example.”

“Oh, that’s okay, I already know not to talk with your mouth full. I’ve had some bad experiences when it comes to that,” I laughed.

“Mmm, see Danielle. The girl’s not a child. She has a mind of her own. It’s partly why we choose to adopt you,” he told me,” instead of one of the younger kids. With you, we know what we’re getting ourselves into. And we don’t have to pretend that we’re your real parents. I hear it’s the hardest part of adoption, when the child finds out that their parents aren’t really their parents. I’d hate to see the heartbreak on a child’s face when they discovered the truth.”

Something must have shown on my face because Danielle said, “Not, breakfast time conversation, George.”

“It’s okay. That is the hardest part. I’m actually grateful I wasn’t put through that. But then the years before that would’ve happened, I would’ve liked to have had them.”

They both smiled at me, I guess it was in pity but at the moment I didn’t really mind. My sadness wouldn’t last that long.

“Oh, look at the time, I’ve gotta go to work,” George said staring at his watch and stuffing a few more pieces of bacon in his mouth.

“Help yourself to some food, Erin,” Danielle said as she followed George outside.

“Okay,” I agreed. I began my day with bacon, eggs and a glass of orange juice.

~~~~~

“Now, I have to go to work at ten thirty,” Danielle told me as I finished my breakfast. “So I’ll leave you a house key when I leave. It’ll be on the hook next to the front door.”

I nodded like and obedient puppy as my mind wandered from the conversation and back to the letter. “Da- mum?” I asked.

“Yes dear?”

“I was wondering if you could mail this letter for me?” I pulled the letter out of my pajama pocket and handed it to Danielle.

“Of course dear, who’s it for?”

“Oh, it’s just for my friends at the orphanage, I promised I’d keep in touch.”

“Aww, that’s so nice of you. So I’ll just label it for the orphanage then?” She slipped the letter into her jeans pocket.

“Yeah, they don’t get many letters so I’m sure they’ll know who it’s from. But just incase you can put the names Janella and Sheldon on the envelope.”

“Okay dear. I’ll do it before I go to work,” Danielle promised.

“Thanks a bunch,” I smiled and went to take my dishes into the kitchen.

“On no, I’ll do that dear.”

“Are you sure? I don’t mind helping. I had kitchen duty all the time back at the orphanage,” I said matter-of-factly.
“I’m sure you did Erin, but as it’s your first day here I don’t want you relax. Why don’t you go back upstairs, get changed and then you can go have a look in the backyard,” Danielle told me.

Oh that’s right! I had almost forgotten, what with all the excitement that I hadn’t seen the backyard. The one ‘room’ in the house that I had been desperate to see.

“Oh that would be great,” I handed my dishes to Danielle, whilst feeling slightly guilty and skipped out of the room.

Danielle called up the stairs to me, “We’ll go clothes shopping tomorrow if you like.”

“I would, thanks so much,” I called back down. My new home was magnificent.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry about this, but as you may have noticed I added a bit onto the end of this chapter. I would've put it in the next one but I just don't think it fit right. :)