Spirited Away

Portion Thirteen.

I walked home. Daisy had been kind enough to give me a map of the neighborhood and school; I think she felt sorry for me. She kept asking me these questions like “Were you adopted?” “Do you know your real parents?” “Are the Davidson’s nice?” “Is their house really super big?” “What was it like living in an orphanage your whole life?” At first I answered best I could, but then I became irritated as I realised she would probably be reporting back to one of her friends. “The scoop on the new girl, orphan freak or poor abandoned child?” No doubt if the school were a newspaper I would be on the cover today.

I searched for my key in my skirt pocket. I was just dying to get it off, it had been itching me all day long and I had found myself fidgeting during teachers talks and getting asked if they were boring me. I pulled the key out by its chain and unlocked the door. It had been years since I had been left this alone. I had the house all to myself for at least an hour and after my first day of school I was glad George and Danielle weren’t here to question me. Apart from being horrible it had been embarrassing. At lunchtime kids kept coming up to me and asking me questions, I didn’t understand why they couldn’t just leave me alone. At the other schools I started at, everyone was afraid to talk to the new girl. But then freaks always did make interesting conversation.

First things first, I told myself. I dumped my bag in my room, changed into some track pants and went back outside to check the mail.

“Bill… bill…junk…gift certificate… jury duty,” I mumbled as I went through the bundle, “Erin!”

I shut the mailbox and ran in the house. I never thought they’d get back to me this quickly, but here was the proof. I ripped open the envelope as I sat down at the dinning room table.

Dear Erin,

Your letter made us all laugh. We’re so glad you’re happy with your new family but we do miss you so. We’re going to hold you to that party, so don’t forget. Dax is really excited. Your new house sounds great and we can’t wait to see some pictures, Lydia especially.
Your folks seem nice, but be careful, they might be complete control freaks and be obsessed with keeping things clean. ☺
Things have been really different without you, Little Billy Bobby is still on the mend, and we haven’t been allowed to see him yet. Nurse Carter keeps his door locked at all times.
Now that you’re gone we’ve all been given extra chores unfortunately. But it’s not to bad knowing that you’re happy.
We’ve been getting everyone into footy and playing at every available moment just like you asked. We’ll be on the T.V soon.

Please visit us soon; we’re all missing you terribly.

Love from, Janella, Sheldon, Dax, Lydia, Elwood, Blossom and Saffron.


At the end they had separately written their names to show their contribution to the letter. I smiled, my friends were getting on fine without me but they still missed me. Right then and there I felt loved.

I headed to my downstairs room to send back a message. I found some blank paper and began writing.

Hello again,

I was thrilled to get your letter and so please to hear how your lives are going without me. I’m sorry to hear about Little Billy Bobby but I’m sure he’ll recover soon, it’s probably a tummy bug from to much chocolate, I heard someone say he sneaks into the kitchens at night.
I’ll ask Danielle and George about having a party for you guys, lets hope the nurses let you out.
Control freaks, no, obsessed with keeping things clean, Danielle maybe. You know George insists I call them mum and dad. I don’t mind, but it just feels kind of weird. Oh! And I totally didn’t tell you about the weirdest thing! There’s a room in the house that’s restricted. It’s so strange; I mean you’d think they’d trust me seeing as the adopted me. But oh well, George did say it was for work.
I’m ranting now so I better stop.

Missing you all heaps, when I have you over we’ll have a big footy match.

Love from your friend, Erin.


That letter wasn’t as long as my first one, but not much had happened since. I made a mental note to ask Danielle about a party and maybe getting a football so I could practice. I was so absorbed in my thoughts that I didn’t realise someone had entered the room, until that someone made a loud coughing sound form behind me.

I jumped, dropping my letter.

“Oh, sorry Erin,” Danielle gushed.

I let out a breathy laughed and turned to my adoptive mother,” That’s all right. I was just writing a letter to my friends, they wrote back rather quickly you know.”

“You checked the mail did you?” Danielle asked, a worried expression on her face.

“Um… yes,” I said, “I hope that’s alright.”

“Oh, quite alright,” Danielle laughed, “where did you leave the other letters, may I ask?”

“They’re on the dining room table, I kind of forgot about them,” I confessed.

“Don’t worry Erin, those letter are no concern of yours,” Danielle gushed.

“Oh, okay,” I mumbled.

Danielle looked down at my letter. “Would you like me to post that for you?”

“Oh, well if you don’t mind,” I said.

“Of course not dear, don’t be silly.” She grabbed the letter off the table before I had even stuck it in a envelope and left the room. “Dinner is in half an hour, that’s usually when George gets home.”

“Right,” I said, although I don’t think she heard me. She was acting strange, and her facial expression when she asked if I had gotten the mail seemed rather suspicious. No, don’t jump to such strange conclusions, I told myself.

~~~~~

I stayed up late that night, re-reading my letter and at the same time scrutinizing Danielle’s behavior without meaning to. It wasn’t raining like yesterday and the moon was full. There would be werewolves about.

I heard a bang from outside my room. “What was that?” I mumbled, sitting up in bed. I folded up my letter and placed it on my bedside table before getting up. I creeped over to my door, intending to pull it open a crack when I heard whispers coming from behind it.

“What is he doing?” Someone asked, Danielle.

“I don’t know, but if he gets any louder he’s going to wake up the whole neighborhood,” Another voice hissed, George.

“Don’t be silly George, there’s no one for miles; I told you this house was a good idea.”

George grunted, “Yeah, I know. Just get in there and hush him up.”

He? I wondered who he was. Did they have a pet? Maybe an out of control one that they had to lock in the attic. The attic! The sound could definitely be coming from there. But what caused it.

I pressed my head against the wood but the conversation was over. Whatever was causing the noise; Danielle was going to put an end to it.