Spirited Away

Portion Eight

I sat on my bed; it was early in the morning. My closet was empty and my room was clean. Everything I owned was either in my suitcase or on my back. My new family would be coming to pick me up in less than an hour. I was excited and nervous at the same time; the butterflies just wouldn’t stay still.

A knock came from the door followed by a familiar voice, “Erin? Are you in there?”

“Can we come in?”

I sighed, the two people I was sure to miss the most, my time with them was limited, “Sure guys.” I walked over to the door; I had kept it locked because I didn’t want any one interrupting me while I was packing. If I got talking I probably wouldn’t be able to stop, then I’d never be ready.

The door opened and my vision was blurred as someone jumped on top of me.

“I’m gonna miss you too, Janella,” I laughed trying my hardest to push her off.

“Let her breathe, Janella, jeez,” Sheldon chuckled from the door.

“Come on in guys,” I smiled.

“Wow, it’s so clean.”

“Ha-ha, very funny,” I said sarcastically.

“I can’t believe your leaving,” Janella said sadly sitting on the made bed.

“Neither can I, but with my luck I might even be back tomorrow,” I joked.

“Don’t say that,” Sheldon sat down,” as much as we love for you to stay everyone needs their chance at happiness.”

“Yeah, we love you Erin but we can’t be your parents.”

I laughed at this. What would it be like to have Janella and Sheldon as my parents? Maybe I’d get the chance to ask their kid some day.

“I’ll visit you every week,” I promised.

Sheldon chuckled, ”You better or else we’ll never forgive you.”

“Yeah, I do know how to hold a grudge,” Janella added.

“Ah, I’ve taught you well,” I joked sitting down on my suitcase.

“Hey, are we saying goodbye to Erin?” Dax pushed open the door, “aww guys, why didn’t you tell us you were here?”

“Best friends first, Dax. Then annoying dog types,” Janella smirked.

“You struck me deep Jan, your struck me real deep,” Dax pretended to joke.

Along with Dax’s arrival came Elwood, Blossom, Lydia and her sister Saffron.

“Correction, girlfriends come second,” Blossom smiled.

“Oh, of course, I’m sorry,” Janella exclaimed.

Blossom, Lydia and Saffron all came to give me hug while Elwood shook my hand and Dax slapped me on the back. That one hurt.

We spent the rest of the hour just talking about what my new family would be like, whether they had any other kids and just reminiscing on old times.

The bell for lunch sounded and I knew it was time for me to go.

I headed down stairs, Dax had my suitcase and Sheldon was holding my backpack. Don’t I just have the best friends?

Nurse Carter approached us with the phone, “Your adoptive parents just called they’ll be here within minutes, you can just wait in the hall. The rest of you should go have lunch.”

People scrambled around to get one last word in.

“We’ll miss you.”

“Don’t for get us!”

“Write letters, I’ve never gotten one!”

“Hugs everyone.”

I was pulled into a giant group hug, followed by at least ten separate ones.

“Say goodbye to Billy for me?”

“Of course.”

“By Erin, we’re really gonna miss you. It won’t be the same without you.”

“Oh here, we all wrote you a letter. Read it when you get there, not before. Alright?”

I nodded and Saffron handed me the envelope.

“We all wrote a line,” she continued.

“Thanks guys, you’re the best.”

I gave them all one last hug and they headed off to the dining room.

I sighed; I was really going to miss my friends. They we’re always there for me, even when I wasn’t. I sat down on the bench just outside Nurse Greenfield’s office and awaited my new family to arrive.

It can’t have been two minutes since I sat down that the doorbell rang.

Nurse Carter ran to answer the door and jumped out of my seat. Fixing my hair and grabbing my bags I walked over.

“Erin, is that you?” A voice cried from the doorway.

“It’s us sweetie, your new parents!” My new mother squealed.

I walked over to the door and saw a middle aged couple standing in the doorway.

So these are my new parents… wow.