Sequel: Déjà vu

My Unintended

What?!

I sat on the same chair for hours watching Melissa sleep. I loved her with all my heart but I tried desperately to crush my feelings of dislike. The more I tried, the harder it became. She wasn't just poisoning herself, she was poisoning my child.

My thoughts drifted from Melissa to our child. It still hadn't really sunk in that I was going to be a father...

“Gerard, maybe you should sit down.” Melissa said, pointing to her bed. I looked at her in a confused way and sat down. This didn’t sound good at all.

“Mel, what’s wrong?” I asked as she sat beside me. She took a deep breath and looked into my eyes.

“I’m pregnant.” She said. I stared at her. All I could focus on was her, everything around me turned into a blur.

“Gee?”

“Is the baby mine?” I managed to ask stupidly.

“No, it’s Mikey’s.” She said un-emotionally. “Of course it’s yours! You’re the only person I’ve slept with since I left my ex back in September.” A small grin formed on my face, I was so dumb I almost believed her. It fell quickly as shock began to take over. I think she saw this on my face, because tears began to form in her eyes.

“Baby, come here. It’ll be okay.” I said, pulling her into my arms as she cried.

“What are we going to do Gee? I’m only 21!” She exclaimed, crying onto my shoulder.

“I really don’t know Mel. This is just a horrible mistake.” I said.

“You mean your mistake!” She snapped, pulling away from me.

My mistake?! You had sex with me!” I said back.

You didn’t wear a condom; of course this was going to happen!” She said, flopping backwards onto her bed. I felt anger rise through my chest.

“You were all over me that night, Mel, either one of us could have pulled out. This is just as much your fault as it is mine. Don’t you dare blame this all on me!” I said loudly. She folded her arms and ignored me. I stood up.

“Alright, you lay there and sulk about it. This is real, Melissa, and we need to decide what we’re going to do about this.” I said, walking to her bedroom door. She sat up and looked up at me.

“Where are you going?”

“Home, we need some time to think about this without sniping at each other.” I said, walking out and shutting the door behind me.

I was in a daze all the way home. I could hardly believe this was happening to me. I flopped onto the sofa and stared at the wall, not even noticing that Frank and Mikey were in the room with me.

“Gee?” Mikey asked, sitting beside me. He knocked me out of my daze and I realised tears were falling down my face. “Frank, I think we’re going to need a coffee here.” I heard Mikey say and Frank left the room.

“What happened?” He asked again, I remained still and silent until the scent of coffee reached me and I took the cup gratefully from Frank, who sat on my other side.

“Gerard?” Frank asked. I took a mouthful of coffee.

“Melissa…She…” I tried to get it out, but I was still a bit dazed.

“Gee, what did she do to you?” Mikey asked. I almost laughed at that, she didn’t do anything to me. It was what she did with me that started all the problems.

“Nothing…she’s…erm…Melissa’s pregnant…” I mumbled. They must have heard me because they both gasped.

“Is the baby yours?” Mikey asked. I nodded and felt Frank’s hand rub my back as more tears streamed down my face. I had so many emotions going through my body; I couldn’t say which one was making me cry like this.

“What are you going to do?” Frank asked. I took a few mouthfuls of my coffee and thought for a moment. That was the killer question. What was I going to do?

“Think and support Melissa through whatever she decides.” I said, draining the last of my coffee. I stood up unsteadily.

“Where are you going?” Mikey asked.

“Bed.” I muttered.

I had some serious thinking to do, I couldn’t make the decision for Melissa, and it was her body after all. I just needed to think about how I would feel in her situation and how my life would change with every option we had. The bottom line was that I had to let her know that I would be there for her no matter what she chose.


I really meant it. I was going to be there for her no matter what happened.

I sighed and laid down gently beside her, watching her sleep. My feelings of dislike had fizzled into nothing. She looked so innocent and peaceful, her growing stomach rising and falling gently. What was going through her mind to make her want to not only kill herself, but my...no, our...child?