Sequel: Déjà vu

My Unintended

She's here

Brian had been so understanding with me, even though I had snapped at everyone who even dared to look at me. He had postponed our tour and got us flights back to New Jersey as soon as we had heard the news.

Airport security had told us that Melissa had just left the country on a flight to New York with a little girl. My little girl.

When I returned home to Jersey, I was greeted by my mom who was extremely pale.

“Honey, I’m so sorry.” She said as she threw her arms around me and dragged me into the house.

I was too upset to say a word to her. The closest thing to this she had experienced was the time I had wandered off in the mall and it had taken them an hour to find me.

At least she knew that day that I was there somewhere. New Jersey was a lot bigger than a mall and Melissa could have taken Michaela anywhere.

Mom pushed both myself and Frank onto the sofa and gave me a piece of paper.

“It arrived this morning.” She explained as I unfolded it hastily and scanned my eyes across the short message it held.

‘You broke my heart by taking her away from me but did you seriously think taking her to the UK would stop me?

I’ve got her and she’s safe…for now.’


I put my face in my hands and sobbed. I felt Frank wrap his arms around me and I cried into his chest.

I honestly didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know where to start looking or which house to go to first.

“Its okay, Gee, we’ll get her back. I promise.” Frank soothed and rubbed my back.

“Will we? She’s a psycho, she could be anywhere right now!” I choked out.

“Gerard, honey, we’ve called the cops and they’re looking for her. They’ve already searched her house but didn’t find anything there.” Mom explained.

“Gee, she’ll be okay.” Frank insisted and held me tighter against him.

“It’s just so unfair!” I sobbed. I felt like my heart was breaking.

She had been gone for two days already and I felt so guilty for leaving her alone in the first place.

As I sat on the sofa with Frank and my mom, I felt even guiltier for not doing anything to find her.

I just wanted to hold her in my arms again. I wanted to hear her voice, smell her and feel her against my skin. It felt like half of me was missing without my baby near me.