Sequel: Déjà vu

My Unintended

I can't take this anymore

I knew I had to speak to her about this. I sat up all that night thinking about what to say. I felt so guilty, was that what she really needed?

“Melissa? I think we should talk about last night.” I said as I sat heavily on her bed. She sat cross-legged beside me and sighed.

“Me too, I’m so sorry about what happened last night.” She said quietly. I looked at her and she pulled me into her arms. I touched her stomach and sighed.

“Is the baby okay?”

“Is that all you care about?” She asked bitterly.

“Of course not…It’s just you promised to stop doing this to yourself, for the baby’s sake. I don’t want you to get hurt Mel.” I whispered into her ear. Everything I had thought of saying to her vanished from my head as we sat together. I just wanted to scoop her up and tell her everything was going to be okay, but I knew she was in need of some serious help.

“I know, Gee, I promise I won’t do it again.” She said. My mind flashed with anger, how long would it take her to break this promise? I pulled away from her.

“Do you really? Your last promise barely lasted 5 days. How long will it take for you to break this one?”

“I seriously mean this one, Gerard.”

“Really? Just like you seriously meant the last one and the one before that?” I asked quietly. “I just don’t know if I can believe your promises anymore Mel.”

“Gerard, you love me don’t you?”

“Yeah, of course I do and I want you to be happy. How can I support you if you can’t support yourself?” I asked, wiping a tear from my eye. “I love that you make these promises, but you can’t keep them. To be honest I am so fed up with sitting there every night and wondering when you’ll break the next promise.”

She was crying now and I pulled her back into my arms.
“Melissa, I really don’t want to feel like that, but the way you act makes it hard for me not to.”

“Then we should just stop seeing each other, Gerard. If I can’t keep my promises I don’t want you to feel like you have to make me keep them. I’ve lost my faith in myself, Gee, and I know you’ve lost your faith in me.” She said, looking up into my tear stained eyes. “I just need some time alone.”

That was it. I knew she was right; I had lost my faith in her. I was only holding on because I felt like I had to. I mean, I was the father of her unborn child, I has been with her to every scan. I felt like I had to be there for her. The only thing I could do now was give her the time she needed to re-think her life.