Sequel: Déjà vu

My Unintended

Coffee and snow fights

I loved the way her hair hung round her shoulders, the dark layers flicking round her chin and neck. I leant in and took a deep breath, she smelt like mint. I pulled away from her and closed my eyes, breathing in her scent.

Something was shaking me. I opened my eyes expecting to see Melissa with her arms on mine; instead I was greeted by a bright morning light and my brother’s voice echoing round my bedroom.

“Gee! Get up!” Mikey called again. I pulled the quilt over my head.

“Go away!” I mumbled. His weight fell onto my back suddenly and winded me. I gasped for air, pulling the quilt down over my head.

“What the fuck was that for?!” I yelled rolling onto my back as Mikey stood up.

“It’s snowing! Frank insisted I got you up for a snow fight!” He yelled happily.

Damn him. How can he be so hyper in the mornings?

I groaned and sat up, my eyes shut.

“I haven’t even had coffee yet Mikes…” I trailed off as the rich scent of coffee drifted over to me. I snapped my eyes open to see the green cup in front of my face. I snatched the cup off Mikey and gulped it down. It was the perfect temperature. Mikey left the room with a smirk on his face and I slammed the empty cup onto my bed side table.

I forced myself from my warm bed and wandered through the coldness into the bathroom. I almost died of shock as the clock on the window sill said it had just gone 9am. As I turned on the shower I made a mental note to never invite Frank or Mikey stay at my house again if they insisted on getting me up at some unearthly hour. I hadn’t been up this early since before I left college.

I didn’t plan on changing that any time soon.

I showered and pulled on my warmest clothes; jeans, a hoodie and my Nirvana hat. I really hated the fact that winter had to be so cold.

Frank and Mikey had taken advantage of the fact that I had taken my time to get dressed and had stocked up on snowballs. I took it all in my stride, but I was no match for them and their never ending stock of snow.

I was losing badly and was grateful when the phone rang inside the house. I would have a chance to de-frost my fingers and toes before going back outside and losing again.

As I answered the phone, the clock on the wall said it was only 10.15am. Damn, that early and I had already got my butt kicked.

“Is that Gerard Way?” The voice on the phone asked. I brushed snow from my hair and sat on the sofa, answering;

“Yes, who’s speaking?”

“I’m Jennifer Howard from the Belleville General Hospital; we have a Melissa Harts here.”Jennifer told me. My heart skipped a beat and jumped into my throat.

“Is she okay?” I asked desperately.

“You could say that Mr Way. Melissa’s in labour and requested that you be present for the birth. Is that possible?” She asked.

What kind of question was that?

“Of course! Tell her I’ll be there as soon as possible!” I exclaimed, slamming the phone down and leaping up off the sofa. I ran head long into Mikey in the living room doorway.

“Melissa’s in labour! I’ve got to get the hospital!”