Status: Done!

I Will Always Be Here for You

26. The Fight Begins

The next day was filled with much awkwardness between you, Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli. You had a good sleep though, there’s a good thing.
The company and all the inhabitants were on the way to Helm’s Deep, the great stone fortress of Rohan. Before the departure you all went to see Gandalf off.
“Helm’s Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight! Who will defend them if not their King?” Gimli fussed, as you, Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli followed Gandalf to the stables where Shadowfax was being kept.
“He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people,” Aragorn tried to reason; “Helm’s Deep has saved them in the past.”
“There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he’s leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre.” Gandalf said, settling the argument.
He turned to Aragorn and said, “Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold.”
“They will hold.”
Gandalf walked over to Shadowfax, talking to himself, “The Grey Pilgrim. That’s what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of Men I’ve walked this earth, and now I have no time.” He then mounted his horse and spoke to all, “With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east.”
“Go.” Aragorn whispered.
The whole company left Edoras. Suddenly, you got an ill feeling in your mind, and you stilled, a movie running through your head. It was Saruman, and Grima was there.
“Théoden will not stay at Edoras.” Grima explained to Saruman, “It’s vulnerable, he knows this. He will expect an attack on the city. They will flee to Helm’s Deep . . . the great fortress of Rohan. It is a dangerous road to take through the mountains. They will be slow. They will have women and children with them.
You awoke to Legolas shaking you as you were sitting in front of him on a horse.
“Herenya! Oh Elbereth Gilthoniel! I was so worried. What happened?”
“I saw something. Grima, he was with Saruman, and he told him about getting to Helm’s Deep. Saruman is planning something. But I know not what it is. I must warn the King!”
Legolas rode up to where the king was and you called to him.
“King Théoden!”
“Ah, lady Herenya. How may I help you?”
“I saw Grima talking to Saruman about the voyage to helm’s Deep! Saruman is planning something, but I know not of what it is.”
“Folly! How could you see it? I will hear no more of this.” And the King simply trotted ahead.
You stared, astounded.
“How – could – he?”
“It is alright. He does not know your power.” Legolas comforted you, putting his hand on your shoulder. “Let us ride.”
You stayed against Leoglas and fell asleep to the horse’s every movement, every jolt, and every bump. You loved being on a horse.
Later that night you made camp and you and Legolas always got your own tent from now on. You never did anything. It would be too embarrassing to have someone else walk in on you. This happened for 2 or 3 days more.
One day, the air was different and you could feel something was going to happen. When 2 of Théoden’s men went ahead you became uneasy.
“Legolas! Something is about to happen!” you yelled.
Then you heard yells ahead and quickly Legolas got off the horse, running up. He sliced an orc when Aragorn came. Aragorn came running back, “Wargs! We’re under attack!”
You knew this was Saruman’s doing. Legolas came back quickly to you and you told him to be careful, kissing him quickly.
“I will help the women and children to Helm’s Deep.”
“I will see you later.” Legolas smiled.
He always loved a good fight.
You took 2 children and raced to Helm’s Deep. You gave rides to everyone who needed to move faster, and quickly you had everyone safely in Helm’s Deep.
For the remainder of the time, you sat and waited for the others to return. Not long after, you heard cries and cheers.
“Make way for Théoden! Make way for the King!”
You quickly ran to the front and seeing Legolas, you ran up and jumped onto the horse. You gave him a big kiss.
You looked around and saw a missing face. Quickly, you became angry.
“Aragorn!” you yelled, descending the horse. Legolas followed you, “Brother Aragorn!”
Legolas looked at you sadly.
“Aragorn. Where is he?” you demanded. When Legolas did not answer you yelled again, “Where is he?!”
“He fell.” Legolas whispered.
“No! Aragorn can not fall! No! You are lying!” you yelled, tears coming out of your eyes.
You could not see, but you could feel Legolas hold you as you sank to the ground, not caring who was watching.
“Lady Herenya, get off the ground. You are making a scene.” King Théoden urged you.
Anger took over you, “Making a scene?! I told you! I told you Saruman was planning something! And you chose not to listen! ‘Folly!’ you said! Now Aragorn is dead! And my sister will be filled with grief! Do not tell me, King Théoden, to stop making a scene, when it was you who prompted said scene!” you yelled, stalking away.
Legolas quickly ran after you.
“Why did you not save him Legolas?” you whined, sadly.
“I saw him naught.”
“Now he is gone. How could this happen? I have known Aragorn since he was young.”
“It is all right. I am sorry for not being there.”
“Oh it was not your fault Legolas. But I do not take back what I said to Théoden. No way!”
“I won’t make you.” Legolas said, wrapping his arms around you, giving you a peck on the lips.
For the next few hours you and Legolas sat in a secluded area, talking, and kissing, and you cried a little.
After a while, you heard cries of “He’s alive.”
You and Legolas walked out and saw Aragorn. You quickly ran into his arms, “Never die again! Or I will kill you!”
Aragorn laughed, “Miss you too Herenya.”
“Oh I love you Aragorn!” you gave him another tight hug. Aragorn walked over to Legolas.
“Le ab-dollen. (You’re late.) You look terrible.”
Aragorn laughed with Legolas.
“I found this.” Legolas said, holding out his open palm with the Evenstar in it.
“Hannon le. (Thank you.)”
Aragorn walked into the king’s chamber and told them what he had seen on the way here.
“A great host you say?” Théoden asked.
“All Isengard is emptied.” Aragorn assured.
“How many?”
“Ten thousand strong at least.”
“Ten thousand?”
“It is an army bread for a single purpose. To destroy the world of Men. They will be here by nightfall.”
“Let them come!” Théoden said, walking out.
“I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall.”
You all followed Théoden as he went out onto the gateway.
“We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the deeping wall or set foot inside the Hornburg.” Théoden announced.
“This is no rabble of mindless orcs. These are Uruk-Hai, their armor is thick and their shields broad.” Gimli slipped in.
“I have fought in many wars, master dwarf, I know how to defend my own keep.” Théoden walked back inside.
Théoden made his way over to the horn and continued to announce to you how well the attack will go for him.
“They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman’s hoards will pillage and burn, we’ve seen it before. Crops can be resown. Homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them.”
Finally Aragorn stepped in, “They do not come to destroy Rohan’s crops or villages, they come to destroy it’s people. Down to the last child.”
Théoden grabbed Aragorn by the arm, “What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance.”
“Send out riders my lord, you must call for aid.”
“And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead.”
“Gondor will answer.”
“Gondor?!? Where was Gondor when the westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us? Where was Gond…No my lord Aragorn, we are alone.” Théoden walked off.
“Get the women and children into the caves.”
“We need more time to lay provisions--.” A servant tried to explain, but Théoden cut him off.
“There is no time. War is upon us.”
You went downstair to help the men and boys suit up for a fight.
“Farmers, farriers, stable boys, these are no soldiers.” Aragorn remarked.
“Most have seen too many winters.” Gimli stated.
“Or too few.” Legolas added, “Look at them, their frightened, I can see it in their eyes.”
Everyone seemed to stop and stare as Araogrn walked to Legoals as Legolas spoke,
“Boe a hyn neled herain dan caer menig! (And they should be. Three hundred, against ten thousand!)”
“Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras. (They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras.)”
“Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer. (Aragorn, they cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)”
“Then I shall die as one of them!”
Aragorn walked off and Legolas tried to go after him, but Gimli stopped him.
“Let him go, lad.”
Later, Legolas apologized to everyone, especially Aragorn. Then you heard a horn blow.
“That is no orc horn.” Legolas remarked.
You all ran out to find Haldir and a party of Elves.
“How is this possible?” Théoden asked.
“I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.”
Aragorn ran to Haldir and embraced him, “You are most welcome.”
You greeted Haldir with a big hug, then stood at his side, with Legolas.
“We are proud to fight along side men once more.”
You gathered along the wall, waiting for the orcs to show, when you saw their torches. Aragorn came to stand behind you.
“Well lad, whatever luck you live by, let us hope it lasts the night.” Gimli exclaimed.
A bolt of lightning illuminated the sky.
“Your friends are with you Aragorn.” Legolas stated.
“Lets hope they last the night.” Gimli replied gloomily.
Aragorn returned to his station and then rain began to pour. *Perfect.* you thought. All was quiet. You heard the sound of the Uruks’ feet. They halted a few metres from the wall. Everyone had an arrow at the ready, for when it started.
Gimli was jumping up and down, trying to see over the wall.
“What’s happening out there?”
“Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?” Legolas asked.
Gimli burst into laughter.
“I love you Legolas.” You said quickly.
“I love you too.”
“Be careful.”
“You too, young lady.” He smiled.
“Legoals leaned over and quickly kissed you. You then heard the sing of an arrow.
“Dartho! (Hold!)” Aragorn yelled.
The orcs yelled and stomped.
*Here we go.*