I Could Get Used To This

01

Matt's POV

Yet again, it was another long and tiresome day at work. I trudged my way into my apartment, making sure to lock the door behind me, before throwing myself down onto my old couch. I remained there for a few moments before I decided to make any movements.

It was already nearing 7PM in the evening, so the day was starting to turn to night. Thankfully I worked the morning shift at the station. At night, there was no telling what illegal activities went down. I slowly raised to my feet and stretched all the muscles in my back, cracking some of the bones, hoping to ease the tension in them.

I noticed that the message button on answer machine was flashing red, meaning that I had a voice message. I pressed down the button and as the message played, I slowly started to take off my black uniform shirt.

"Hey man it's Brian." I rolled my eyes, who else would it be, as I slipped off my shoes. "Me and Lauren are heading out for a few drinks tonight. We thought you'd want to join us. It's a Friday night and you need to chill man. We'll meet you at the usual club at 8:30PM."

One thing I've come to learn about Brian, is that when he says your going for a drink, that means you are going out for a drink. Otherwise, he'll be a huge drama queen and just make you feel like you ruined his night. Lauren, was Brian's girlfriend, she was a lovely girl. Always tries to cheer you up when your feeling down. Brian meet her about 4 months ago, and they're still going strong.

Knowing that I'd be fighting a losing battle if I decided to be a no-show, I hauled my ass over to the bathroom, where I continued to get undressed and got into the shower. Same old Friday routine I thought, as the hot water washed over my aching body.

"What's wrong Matt? Your looking down?" Lauren asked soothingly, as she sat in the stool next to me at the bar of a club. Although loud music was being played, near the bar it wasn't so loud that you had to shout to hear each other.

I offered her a pathetic excuse as I toyed with the label on my beer. "I don't know Lauren. Things just...bore me I suppose. My life's just going nowhere anymore." I heaved a sigh, before taking a mouthful of beer from the bottle. I was still on my first and had been out now for over two hours.

Lauren gave me a slight smile. "Then you need to look for change. Get out. Meet new people."

I let out a short snort. "With the hours I work at the station?I don't think so." I cast Lauren a sideways glance, before turning in my seat to face her. "Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound so harsh, y'know?"

Lauren smiled at me softly. "It's okay. Your just frustrated."

"Yeah, we'd still love you." Brian added, after join us from his bathroom break. He threw his arm over my shoulder. "Even if you are a grumpy cop." He smirked.

I shook my head and laughed at him, before shoving him off me playfully. "Go screw yourself Haner."

"That's what Lauren's for." He smirked, now putting his arm around her shoulder. Lauren pulled an offended face, before elbowing him in the ribs.

The way Lauren and Brian acted around each other reminded me more and more every day, about what me and Valary had when we were together. We'd been together for years, but when she started working longer hours and had to going away for up to a month at a time, we grew apart and the spark between us, was no longer there.

I rested my head in the palm of my hand and played with the end of my black, long sleeved shirt. I really did miss her, Valary. We tried to stay in touch, be friends. But it just got harder and we eventually knew we had to move on. So when a job offer came up in New York, I decided it was best for me. Even though I left all my friends and family behind, I still talk to them. Still miss them.

"-looks like she's in trouble." Lauren's voice suddenly broke my daze.

"Where by?" Brian asked, standing up tall, eyes searching the crowded bar.

Lauren stood too and pointed towards a seating booth, where there was a guy pestering a young women. It looks like she was trying to polity decline whatever offer he was offering her, whilst moving out of the way. But he stepped in her way every time.

"Somebody should go help her." Lauren stated, a slight panic evident in her tone, as she raked a hand through her black hair.

"I'll be back now." Brian went to make a move through the crowd.

I stood and grabbed his arm, putting my beer down. "Let me. I'm off duty but I can still arrest him if he turns nasty." Brian nodded and stepped aside allowing me pass through the crowd.

After pushing my wash through the crowds it came to the point where I was close enough to hear what was being said.

"No. Please, I was leaving now anyway." The young woman said in a small voice, trying to side step the man. She had a different accent to a New Yorker.

The man moved to block her way. "Aww c'mon baby. The night's young, come party with me I'll show you a good time." He moved closer towards her, causing her to back up against the wall. "We could always-"

"Hey. Is there a problem here?" I said in an authoritative tone, causing the guy to turn and look at me up and down.

"No. So back off buddy." He almost growled at me.

Ignoring his remark, my attention turned to the pale blond girl who still looked scared. "T-This man won't leave me alone." She wrapped her arms around herself, whilst cautiously watching the guy.

"I think your the one who should be backing off." I glared at the man, who now realizing, his chances were slim against a man of my size, help up his hands in defense. "C'mon, I'll make sure he doesn't bother you." I beckoned the girl, stepping to the side so she could follow me.

She nodded and followed my lead back to the bar, where Lauren and Brian had been watching the scene unfold and it was less crowded.

"Everything alright man?" Brian questioned.

I nodded "Yeah, that guy would leave...Um...." I turned to the girl, whose name I didn't know.

"Audrey. Audrey Blaire." She answered with a small smile.

"Wouldn't leave Audrey alone." I finished. "Are your friends around here anywhere?" I asked her.

"Uh, no actually I came out on my own. I'm new to the area." She replied with a nervous smile. I had to admit, I could understand why, Brian and I were more well built compared to most people. Me being a cop and Brian being a fire fighter.

"Well, I insist that you join us for a drink." Lauren smiled, she offered her hand to Audrey. "I'm Lauren, this is my boyfriend Brian." Brian waved, "and the big guy by you is Matt."

Audrey shook Lauren's hand. "It's nice to meet you all. And please let me get these drinks first. You did help me after all." Audrey said the last part looking at me.

So we all pulled up a stool by the bar and sat chatting and having a relaxing drink for the remainder of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay new story.
Blame Lauren! She said encouraged me to start this!

Okay, it's gonna be a bit of a slow start, but it's going to pick up more and more.

Enjoy.

x-x-x