I Could Get Used To This

03

It was one of those rare occasions when I had a day off in the middle of the week. No matter how much I promise myself that I would make good use of my time, I always ended up doing the total opposite. Like today, I decided to go and see what Brian was up to. Not needing to knock, I strolled into his apartment, shutting the door behind me.

"Brian? You home?" I called out, looking around the quiet room.

Lauren appeared from the bedroom, carrying some laundry. "Nope. Only me." She smiled. Although Lauren had her own apartment with a roommate, she tended to spend alot of time at Brian's apartment. Usually cleaning and tidying up his lazy ass. "He got called in on an emergency call." She put the laundry on the couch and started to fold it.

"Ha ha. He must be pissed off." I stated, sitting on the couch next to the laundry. "Was his day off to, wasn't it?"

"Yup. He was storming around the apartment getting ready, 'cause we were still in bed when he got the call." She replied, folding one of Brian's shirts.

"I bet you were." I smirked, causing Lauren to throw a ball up pair of socks at me. "What!" I laughed, causing her to shake her head at my antics.

"Sooo," she dragged out, placing the shirt on top of the pile now forming. "Brian was telling me you bumped into that chick Audrey when you were working." Lauren gave me a knowing smile.

I almost felt myself blush. "Yeah. The offices where she works got broken into and we were called. Guess it was just luck really."

"You called her yet?" Lauren asked, sitting opposite me.

I let out a sigh "I was kinda hoping you could help me out with that one." I looked at her. "I don't know what to say!"

Lauren nearly fell on her ass laughing. "Matt! All you have to say is 'Hey, It's Matt. Want to meet for lunch today?' and that's it!"

"I suppose your right..." I looked at the time on the clock on the wall, it was nearing 11:45AM, most offices took lunch around the 12-1PM mark. I drew in a deep breath. "Pass me the damn phone you loser."

Lauren, squealed in excitement and quickly tossed me the phone handset. I got my wallet out of my pocket and pulled out the card with Audrey's number on it. It felt like I was 16 years old again and asking a girl out for the first time. All over again....Look where it got me the first time...No-where.

I put the phone to my ear and it rang nearly four times before it was picked up on the other line. "Hello. Audrey speaking."

"Uh..Hey Audrey it's Matt...Matt the cop..." I visibly cringed at the opening statement I made.

She was silent for a few moments. "Oh Matt! Hey, I thought I was in trouble with the Law for a moment then." She giggled.

"So how have you been? How's work going for you?" I asked trying to make conversation. Lauren smacked her forehead with her hand and I just shrugged my shoulders in return. I did this whole routine over 10 years ago! I was a little rusty!

"I've been good thank you." I could hear her move some papers or type something on her end of the line. "Work is work. The office is back in order, so...yeah that's about it really."

"That's good. That's good." I sat forward on the couch. "Um..You wouldn't fancy getting lunch today or something would you?"

"Um...I was actually going to work through my lunch hour. I have alot of work to get through." The minute she said that, I felt my heart drop.

"Oh..W-well that's okay maybe some other time." I tried to say calmly.

"But I am free this evening." She quickly added. "Maybe we could get a drink somewhere, or get a bite to eat?"

My heart quickly went back to the right place, and my embarrassment fled me. "Yeah. That's be great!" I smiled enthusiastically, giving Lauren a thumbs up which she returned. "When are you free?"

"Well I finish work at 5, so...Say meet at 8:30PM?" Audrey said, typing at something once more.

"That's brilliant." I smiled. "Do you want to meet outside the club we met at? That's pretty easy to get to and should still be quiet."

"Sounds good to me." Audrey replied. "I hate to cute this short, but I gotta get back to work.. Guess I'll see you at 8:30PM tonight."

"Yeah, I'll see you then. Take care"

"You too. Good-bye." And that was the end of what was a phone call I was dreading making.

Lauren looked at me, with that all-knowing smile that all girls have.

I sat back into the couch and made myself comfy. "Guess it's a date." I grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
x-x-x