Status: Completed. Sequel is up.

Can't Stay Away

Worry

I didn't hear from Brendon at all that day. I had expected that though. It's just that I had hoped I would get some sign that he was ok. Though I knew he wasn't.

The next day, my worries were too strong and I decided I needed to take action. I got up early the next day, and stood in my living room, looking out the window. Finally I saw Brendon's father walk outside and get into his car; leaving for work. I smirked. Now I had to just wait for Brendon's mom to leave. She usually left soon afterwords. I didn't know if she worked. She usually wasn't out for too long. A few hours at most.

Twenty minutes later and I was watching Brendon's mother leave in her own car. I took a deep breath and headed outside, walking swiftly to Brendon's house. I turned the knob, hoping it would be open...but it was locked. Of course. I sighed in frustration and looked around for hiding spots for spare keys. There was two plotted plants, one on either side of the door. I lifted the one on the right: nothing. I lifted the one on the left: still nothing. I looked under the door mat: surprise! Nothing.

I frowned, glancing around trying to think what I could do next. I could try and see if any of the windows were unlocked. I turned around to walk off the porch when something shiny caught my eye. I looked towards the plant on the right, seeing the glint of something beneath it's green leaves. I smiled, realizing that it was in fact the key. I reached into the pot and grabbed key. That was definitely easier than I had thought it would be. I unlocked the front door and entered the house. I stood in the entrance way for a moment, taking in the eerie silence.

Finally I moved, going up the stairs to Brendon's room. I stood by his closed bedroom door preparing myself for whatever I was about to see. I placed a shaking hand on the doorknob, taking a deep breath. I opened the door quickly and looked frantically to Brendon's bed. It was empty. I panicked and looked around the room. He wasn't here. Where was he? I closed the door, my mind racing with incoherent thoughts. Brendon was gone. Not here. I didn't know where he was or if he was ok.

I felt tears sliding down my face and I wiped them away hastily. I rushed back downstairs and back outside, locking the door quickly before closing it. I didn't put the key back though. I took it with me. I didn't care if anyone noticed it was gone. I didn't care.

I went back inside my house and back into my room, laying down on my bed. Brendon's scent still lingered on my pillows and blankets and I took deep breaths, using his scent to try and comfort me. I kept telling myself that Brendon was ok, but it was so hard to believe. I had no idea where he was and it hurt so much. I was hurting. Brendon was probably hurting...so much more. I shut my eyes tightly, trying not to think about it. But there was nothing that I could do...And I hated that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short-ish update.
Comments??
~Sally