Status: Completed. Sequel is up.

Can't Stay Away

Truth

I was currently hanging out with Brendon. Not by choice either. My mother had told me to be nice yet again, and my father had told me to listen to my mother. So here I was, in my room with Brendon. Brendon was occupying my bed while I sat in my desk chair, wishing he would go away.

"So," Brendon said. "I want to know more about you, so I'm going to ask you some questions."

"Fine," I said.

"Ok, first," Brendon said. "What's something that you love to do?"

"Read," I said.

"What is something you can't stand?" Brendon asked.

"You," I said. Brendon laughed.

"What is your biggest fear?" Brendon asked.

"Any form of pain," I said.

"Really?" Brendon asked. "Is that why you don't want to be involved with me? Scared there might someday be some emotional pain?"

"No," I said. "The reason I don't want to be involved with you is because I dislike you very strongly. I find you very annoying, and honestly right now I wish you weren't here."

"Oh, come on," Brendon said. "Don't be such a scrooge."

"I'm not being a scrooge," I said. "I just really don't like you."

"Don't you want a friend?" Brendon asked.

"No," I said. "It's pointless at this point. I'm going to be a senior in high school. If I make new friends, I'll just have emotional pain I don't want when we graduate and go our separate ways for college."

"What if I promised that I would never leave you?" he asked. "That we wouldn't ever go our separate ways?"

"That still doesn't change the fact that I don't like you," I said.

"Can't you at least give me a chance?" Brendon asked.

"Why do you want me to be your friend so bad?" I asked. Brendon sighed.

"I don't want to say, because I don't want you to be my friend out of pity," Brendon said.

"Just tell me," I said. Again, Brendon sighed.

"Well, I don't really have any friends," he said. He looked away from me, towards the window, seeming ashamed of this confession.

"I believe you," I said. "Just because I don't see why anyone would want to be your friend."

His head snapped in my direction and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"You know, it wouldn't hurt you to actually be nice," Brendon said. He stood up. "I think I'm going to go."

I watched him without saying a word as I he left my room quickly. The weird thing was, I actually felt kind of bad that I treated him like shit and that he didn't even have any friends. It's not like he was mean, like me. He actually tried to be nice. Did I actually not like him just because he was nice?
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments??
~Sally