Status: Okay, so the whole 'get everything off my laptop' plan went to hell. The harddrive is messed up. All the chapters I'd written are gone. I don't think I'll delete ACA and I will probably continue it, but I can't say how long it will be before I do. I am considering redoing it completely.

A Cigarette Affair

Just remember to breathe.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Easy, and she can already feel herself relaxing into the familiar pattern. Smoking isn't an addiction. For her, it is a necessity. Just as the sharp-edged slip of silver tucked away in her empty altoids tin is necessary. They are small comforts in the sharp-edged world, but they make her feel safe.

She presses the filter to her lips and idly runs her tongue across the roughened end.

Inhale.

She brushes her fingers across her cheek as she pulls the stick away. Breathes in more deeply to keep the warm caress of the smoke inside her lungs a moment more.

Exhale.

Instant serenity, like slipping into the warm familiarity of a lover's mouth.

A pause, no longer than a passing thought. She brings the fag to her lips, caresses it with the tip of her tongue.

The cycle begins again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edit: Originally intended as a oneshot. Much thanks to IsliceTOAST713 for inspiring me to turn this into something more.
For new readers-- it may seem like it's going nowhere at first, but I promise it is. And if you worry about how many chapters there already are, don't worry, they're short. x]