Seven Good Reasons Not to Go to New York

Chapter 1 – The airport is a pain to get through

“Jorden! Wait up!” Amy called as she hurried down the hallway. The sound of plastic wheels rolling on tile filled her ears as she pulled her suit case behind her and raced to catch up with her friend. The busy airport was not the easiest place to navigate through, as Amy soon found out. She was weaving through children following parents, college students headed home, vacationers with big cameras and ridiculous tourist shirts, and at the same time trying not to lose sight of her friend.

“Well, hurry up!” Jorden called, looking at her ticket. “We’re gonna be late!”

Amy McKoff and Katie Jorden were headed out for the week of a lifetime… or at least of their lifetimes. They were going to stay from Thursday night to the next Friday in New York, where Jorden’s older brother, Tony, would meet and “escort” them on their sure-to-be adventures. Of course, by “escort” Amy and Jorden meant they would go around New York on their own while Tony would hang out with the friends he had in the area. Their parents, however, were completely convinced that Tony would be willing to go around with them and expected full reports every night before bed of the on-goings of the trio. Amy and Jorden planned to tell them exactly what they did that day and work Tony into it, which Tony was fine with as long as they mentioned how horrible it was to go shopping with girls or having to have every single attractive male in New York pointed out along the way was.

To the girls, this was their ideal opportunity.

Amy caught up with Jorden and slowed down to a brisk walk. She took out her ticket. “Terminal N” was written in bold print and she began scanning the signs for the letter.

“There it is.” Jorden said pointing ahead just two terminals away. They girls sped up, excitement and anticipation giving them an energy boost.

The girls sat down next to a window where they could see the plane they were going to get on. Amy gazed around the room looking at the families, businessmen and attendants that were around her. She saw a man yell on a phone, a child tug on their mothers blouse, and a 20ish-year-old man sneak a finger up his nose. As she was looking, she noticed the familiar stick figure that reminded her that nature was stirring inside her.

“Hey, Jorden. I gotta use the bathroom.” She said nudging her friend.

“What? We’re about to get on.”

“I’ll be fast.” Amy got up and started walking away.

“Hey! Don’t forget your bag! No way I can carry both yours and mine if the plane starts loading without you!”

“I’ll be back before that.” Said Amy, but she grabbed her bag anyway. She turned and hurried over to the restroom right across the hall.

While she was washing her hands, her cell phone began to vibrate.

>Where r u? Plane loading< Came Jorden's text.

She quickly whipped her hands and started tapping away on the phone

>Just finished. Coming now<

She grabbed her bag and stepped out of the room.

“Crap.” She said out loud as she saw that the last few people being loaded on. She hurried to the line, right behind a family with a clear New York accent. The family had an incredible amount of kids ranging from in dippers to looking near her own age. She waited as the family handed over their tickets and the attendant lazily started counting heads. Before she knew it she was pushed through the door to the plane.

“Wait!” Amy protested and reached out to hand the attendant the ticket. The attendant scowled and put it in the pile with the family’s. Amy raised an eyebrow wondering what her problem was but quickly decided to go into the plane to find her seat.

>Where r u???< Jorden texted

>On the plane. Looking 4 u<

Amy looked around wondering why the attendant took her ticket because she now had no idea where he seat was.

“Ma’am, you need to sit down.” Another attendant, this one looking much friendlier with nice brown hair bundled up in a bun. She looked down at Amy with a smile that could sell horse manure.

“I’m just trying to find my friend…”

“We’re going to take off now so please, take this seat here. It’s an empty one anyhow. You may move about the cabin once the plane has reached the proper height if you wish.” The attendant showed her to a seat next to a snoring businessman. Amy sat down just as her phone began to buzz again.

“Please, no phones allowed from this point forward.” The attended smiled again and then moved down to sit for the ascent. Amy quickly turned off her phone and sat back as the plane began moving.

~

For most of the flight, Amy slept. She couldn’t find Jorden when she was looking, but it was a big plane so she gave up. She wished she had her ticket so she could find her correct seat. A half hour into the flight she fell asleep reading her book.

The captain suddenly came on the intercom, waking her from her sleep. “Hello again, passengers. We will be arriving in Los Angeles in about 30 minutes.” His deep raspy voice informed the bored children, annoyed businessmen, and sleeping individuals. Everyone began reorganizing and shuffling back to their seats. “Please enjoy the rest of your flight and thank-you for choosing American Airlines.”

Amy’s eyes had grown large. She gripped the arms of her chair so hard her knuckles grew white. Her jaw hung agape and she felt she couldn’t move for a minute, like she couldn’t even breath. “L.A.…? Crap…”

~

Amy had spent the rest of the flight worrying, wondering how this had happened. She couldn’t believe she was on her way to L.A. Her parents were going to be so angry. She had no clue what she was supposed to do once she got off the plane. What if no one there would help? What if she couldn’t get a ticket to New York, or even home? Would her parents never trust her to go on a trip alone again? How was a 15-year-old supposed to know what to do in a strang airport?

But, then again, part of her was excited. L.A. wasn’t exactly a bad place to be. Maybe she’d find something new and fun. Isn’t this where all the stars come from? Maybe she’d get discovered. Maybe she’d meet a movie star and actually get to know them. Maybe she’d have an adventure; who knows what could happen.

Her thoughts seemed to be tripping over each other, her emotions ranging from excitement to fear in seconds

When the plane finally landed, Amy wanted to rush off, but the crowded aisle made it quite a challenge. She hurried as fast as possible, dragging her bag, thankful that Jorden had made her bring it to the bathroom.

As soon as she was in the terminal, she stood in amazement. There were windows everywhere, letting in sun that was peeking through fog. People were scrambling about; running, talking on phones, and sleeping. Amy didn’t move for a moment and looked around wondering what to do next.

She decided to turn on her phone and see if she had any new messages. As soon as she did, she received a message from Jorden:

>Where r u???<

>I think I’m in LA<

>WHAT?!< Jorden’s text came fast.

Amy dropped her arm that had been holding up her phone. She looked around in dismay, half wishing (though she would never ever admit it) that her parents were there to fix this mess. Amy had about 50 dollars in her wallet and could get more if she got to an ATM, but still, she didn’t think she had enough for another ticket.

“Miss, can I help you?” A friendly looking attendant was standing next to her and smiling.

“Yeah.” Amy said, getting some hope. “I’m supposed to be in New York right now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what do you guys think? I made this for a friend and I haven't given it yet so if it's bad I want to know!!

PLEASE COMMENT!!

I will read your comments and listen to any advice! Hope you like it!